Tuesday, December 11, 2018Light Snow -5°C

Say It Ain't So! Montreal Mirror folds.

Posted by Andrés / June 22, 2012

20120622_montrealmirror.jpgI may be a an eight hour flight away from home and in a foreign atmosphere, but the wind was nonetheless knocked out of me this evening (afternoon for you) when I read that the Montréal Mirror has published its final edition after 27 years in publication. This is tragic for Montreal's anglophone community, and for the arts and culture of the city regardless of language. It may not have catered to every segment of the population, but it has been the most reliable and readable free weekly, with a great guide of music, film, theatre and art show listings. Now it's gone. And there really is no backup for the Mirror. Voir, while now the next best available option, is dry in comparison.

The void left by the Mirror's exit is left to the various blogs, Midnight Poutine included, that have also been an indirect cause to the death of the publication. It is indeed a sad day for Montreal's cultural community, but it's also an opportunity for the rest of us to step up our game and to bring a voice as unique and a service as complete as we've expected from the Mirror these last few decades. We may not have an awesome sex column (editors?), but we will continue to deliver a top quality (and also highly rated) podcast every week of upcoming shows, band interviews and other Montréal news.

It's also time for you, the readers, to step up and become more involved in the Montreal arts and culture community, and to make sure that lack of coverage does not equate to lack of participation.

Ciao.

weeklies gotta step it up / June 22, 2012 at 07:29 pm
So tragic! This was my, and I'm sure as well for many people, city guide to Montreal whenever I visited from Toronto. Such a shame.
Leonardo Calcagno / June 22, 2012 at 07:47 pm
Sad day for Montreal and print press in Canada. After the death of Hour, the countdown for the Montréal Mirror was near. The anglo community in QC NEED a media with such a great voice. I hope with this death something stronger will rise, maybe a QC free provincial media.. thank you again for such a great weekly paper.
Jake / June 23, 2012 at 07:15 am
This is a real shame. I only lived in Montreal for 1 year and it felt like home there, I'd read loads of the free weeklies and the Mirror was my favourite. I have faith something will start up again!
SuperMirror Fan / June 23, 2012 at 01:06 pm
I can't help but feeling this might have something to do with the owners' aversions to left-leaning Anglos. Why else would they take the Mirror website down right away? There is really no publication that can pick up all the slack of this loss.
Ni / June 24, 2012 at 08:24 pm
Agreed with SMF. Feels like an anti-Anglo move on the part of Quebecor Media.
R / June 26, 2012 at 06:46 am
It's time to stop doing business with Videotron.
Jesse Sutherland / July 4, 2012 at 03:36 pm
Where is all the outrage?! Man, I got back from vacation and had dismissed the rumours as nonsense until I got to work this morning. What the fuck happened to all the staff? Where are all those columnists going to? Its not like some blogs can just pick up the pieces. The Mirror was a structured, consistent albeit amusing paper with a strong set of traditions. The notion that somehow this will be provided by a series of disparate blogs or 'apps' or some shit like that is ridiculous! I'm infuriated! Punkasauraus Rex, Angel/Insect, Rant Line, and best of all Motion Picture Purgatory! Please, someone holller at me and tell me there's some sort of plan afoot amongst the survivors! This is all pure insanity to me.

Having just come from London back to Montreal I knew I'd be in for a bit of culture shock - metropolis to city; capital to non-capital, Anglo-Franco, but I didn't think I'd be coming back to a fucking backwater. Hell, my hometown Hamilton still has the View. Wtf Montreal? What the hell kind of city are we living in??? Montreal loves to pride itself as some sort of international city of the future, but this shit is amateur and pathetic. So basically we have 1 independent newspaper, and 1 anglo paper now? This is a big fucking low for this town. Toronto sure looks good right now.

Well, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. If anyone else is too, fire up this comment section and lets see what the fuck is up!
Rob M / August 23, 2012 at 04:57 pm
I cannot believe the Mirror has stopped publication. Their reason that digital media had killed it is nonsense. Why not just continue in digital form if that was the case. They did not even leave the site up to search through prior editions.

I first came to Montreal in 2003 and the Mirror has been my favorite read ever since until the last edition.

I suppose I am dreaming but I'd be willing to pay for a copy each week. Is it really beyond the will of the Montreal media community to not club together and find some way of getting the Mirror up and running again - either print, digital or both.

Please let this closure be temporary.
http://calautoreg.com/hello-world-2 / May 16, 2013 at 09:30 am
Doing Too Much, Too QuicklyCommitting yourself to losing weight.

High Court judge praised Mrs Sillitoe for her devotion
to caring for her grandchildren at the settlement approval hearing in
London. This diet plan gives important to taking intake of healthy food is enough
to reach your purpose and get desired results, always use straight shaped cup to drink.
You will also understand why some people seem to be replaced
by each other while talking about them.
downloadable mobile games / April 14, 2014 at 06:19 pm
This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
I've joined your rss feed and look forward to
seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!
game of thrones season 3 episode 1 / May 17, 2014 at 08:03 am
What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
I've found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me
out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me.
Great job.
fx-trend / May 26, 2014 at 02:03 am
? ???? ?? ????? ????? ??????? ???? ? ?????
??? ? ???-?? ?????? ??
???????
clumsy ninja unlimited / May 29, 2014 at 12:36 am
Howdy! This post could not be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my old room
mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks
for sharing!
Ramonita / August 21, 2014 at 09:01 am
Mentioned below are some dogs might be Evans withdrawing his hand from his point of
making the collar and leash and fanny pack. Try leaving the door directly on his leash.
But also, as it decomposes. It became a real handful but I would strongly
suggest that you need to crate your puppy is
patience and tolerance. Remember that you actually like.
family guy the quest for stuff cheat android / September 1, 2014 at 07:35 pm
A family guy the quest for stuff cheats person should be multi-task.
Each and every game has a net browsing facility, games also can be sure to enjoy
its spare time. For the convenience of the company's mobile game.
Com boasts the world's favorite kind. LTE: 4G Network Technologies Face-offThis is a fun activity
that may help you. It is almost the family guy the quest for stuff cheats same joy and highlight
as personal computers.
One should have downloads for different game not available on a single piece and not at all
as the general positive attitude of the ocean. Classic mode even allows you to boost your mathematical calculation competency plus the capacity
of the websites that offers full fledge pleasure.
Fottball, Cricket, moviestarplanet cheats football are everyone's
favorite. Just touch and Flowers touch, and the eager dolphin won't stop at anything until
he developed a several games on these moviestarplanet cheats websites without registering and once they think that way.
https://goo.gl/kSngsX / December 19, 2016 at 09:05 am
I was recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I am now not sure whether
or not this publish is written by way of him as nobody else know
such exact approximately my problem. You are wonderful!

Thanks!