Tuesday, October 17, 2017Light Snow -5°C
Arts

Retail: A cartoon for customers

Posted by Margot / April 26, 2009

The Retail Show : Mr. Benson and his 2 cents from Otto Tava on Vimeo."Mr. Benson and His 2 Cents" by Antoine Tavaglione

Check out this clip from Retail, the series by Montreal-based animator Antoine Tavaglione, and read on to learn more about Otto and the gang.

As with many works of art, Retail sprang from real-life experience. Before the flashy, two-storey Apple Store, the corner of Crescent and Ste-Catherine was home to Mens, a fashion retail outlet where Tavaglione sold fine clothes to the perennially well-dressed. His experience at the store became the basis for the animation series, set in a high-end retail shop, and featuring the characters Otto, Mannan, Penny, and Mr. Benson (who are based on real people - they know who they are).

By Tavaglione's design, the fictional City of Chrome is an international amalgam, blending the European flavour of stylish Rome and the urban modernity of Dubai with a recognizable Montreal face; the street scenes are drawn directly from our city's landscape, and you'll probably recognize familiar storefronts like Ogilvy's and references to the Main. He wanted to set Retail in place that was densely populated, where people had a work-to-live mentality, but still had a where-everybody-knows-your-name feel. And thanks to the beauty of animation, it's also a place where Snoop Dogg and Barack Obama can drop by from time to time.

20090422-retail2.JPGI'd be curious about that question mark box, too

Tavaglione graduated from Concordia in 2003 with a major in Film Animation, and since has been doing artistic directing work for various different projects. Now, with his own Motionbox Producitons, he's finding a new and welcome challenge in Retail, doing everything from storyboards to animation, voices, and production. With some help from soundman Peter Ricq and other colleagues, as well as constructive criticism from friends, bloggers, and comments on his website, he finds that each episode is tighter, better, new-and-improved. In coming episodes, stories will develop the characters and focus on everyday life in the store (which, of course, includes epistemological conversations about Facebook poking and interactions with nose-picking customers.)

20090422-ottorretail.JPGOur Vespa-riding protagonist

Like any good modern man, you can friend the series' main character, Otto Tava, on Facebook and follow him on Twitter. You can even see Tavaglione's work in real life (wait - there's an outside world?) featured at AM 68 in Les Cours Mont-Royal. And check out Motionbox's website on a regular basis for all the latest Retail episodes.

All images from the Motionbox website.

Joe / April 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm
thank you for this info! too funny!
Gianfranco / April 29, 2009 at 11:35 pm
Love the characters, the environment and the situations... This show deserves a bigger audience.
QuinnXHaulter / July 31, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Howdy I am so delighted I found your web site, I really found you by error, while
I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks
for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love
the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the minute but
I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great job.
grosfillex patio furniture prices / February 28, 2016 at 05:29 pm
Sirius, also are waterproof.
SuzanSBona / May 26, 2016 at 06:07 pm
Everything published was actually very logical. But, consider this,
suppose you composed a catchier post title? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your website, but what if you added something that makes people want
more? I mean Retail: A cartoon for customers is a little boring.

You could look at Yahoo's front page and note how they create news headlines to get viewers to open the links.

You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab readers excited
about everything've written. Just my opinion, it would bring your
website a little livelier.
?????????? / July 30, 2017 at 06:34 am
I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.

The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield
this hike.
Drug Alcohol Treatment Centers / August 12, 2017 at 06:41 pm
Hello mates, its enormous post on the topic of tutoringand
entirely defined, keep it up all the time.