Friday, January 17, 2020Light Snow -5°C
Arts

Nuit Blanche 2011: My Photo Adventure

Posted by Luc / March 2, 2011

Yes, I ventured out on Nuit Blanche. Yes, I covered a lot of ground over 7 hours. Yes, whoever wrote-up the descriptions in the Nuit Blanche program is brilliant. Yes, I had a camera with me. No, I'm not a good photographer.

But you'll have to deal with my shoddy photos anyway! Starting at Complexe Desjardins around 8:30pm, and finishing at the Old Port around 2:30pm, here's what I saw and what I thought about it last Saturday night:

20110302_mmpix_nb0.jpg 8:30pm - My night starts at Complexe Desjardins, where painters have been going at giant slabs of bloc canvas since 6pm, with aim to cover them entirely by 3am. The installation is called The Henge Project, and is presented by En Masse.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb1.jpg 8:36pm - The view of The Henge Project from the upper balcony.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb2.jpg 9:00pm - I venture out onto St Catherine and encounter these two characters. Little do I know they are part of Flexigloo, an installation that will almost singe-handedly ruin my night within the next couple of hours.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb3.jpg 9:10pm - A family poses for a photo by the spheres in Place-Des-Arts.
------
9:22pm - A lonely harp sits alone on stage, inside a place where they wouldn't let me go upstairs with my camera or my backpack.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb5.jpg 9:30pm - This mannequin dude was one of the underground exhibits. This is one of the rare moments where no one was punching/kicking/kissing him.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb6.jpg 9:38pm - South through the underground brings me to this installation. I don't know what it is. I didn't ask. They didn't tell.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb7.jpg 10:12pm - Outside Mont-Royal station, where Flexigloo was supposed to start at 10pm. Note there is no Flexigloo to be found. I left behind a whole group of people to come see Flexigloo. Damn you Flexigloo.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb8.jpg10:30pm - I venture North to Gilford street while I await Flexigloo, where I find a bizarre street party, complete with underage ballerinas in a red storefront.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb9.jpg 10:32pm - These people are part of the street party on Gilford. Minutes later they would get up on a picnic table and try to start a dance party, to no avail.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb10.jpg 10:33pm - The eye of Sauron watches on.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb11.jpg11: 30pm - After Flexigloo finally arrived and I didn't care to include them in this photo essay, I venture back downtown and catch this guy all messed up in Complexe-Des-Ailes. Poor dude.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb12.jpg 11:33pm - I arrive at Indigo Books for the Capoeira demo put on by Grupo Capoeira Angola Montreal.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb13.jpg 11:37pm - The awesomeness of Capoeira makes me forget about Flexigloo.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb14.jpg12:01am - I return to Place-Des-Arts and take the obligatory shot of the spheres.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb15.jpg 1:00am - I end up at Espace Cercle Caré in the Old Port. This was the best place I went to all night. In this photo an artist entertains the crowds with her own rendition of Chameleon by Boy George.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb16.jpg 1:10am - Some boys take a seat at Espace Cercle Caré.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb17.jpg 1:12am - I get the tag cut off my coat (photo is of our shadows). The tag is placed on a map of the world, where you pin the tag to the area the clothing was made in (mine was China).
------
20110302_mmpix_nb18.jpg 1:30am - I arrive at Cabaret du Roy for a supposed "bonfire with songs, whiskey, wieners, etc", only to find a lineup and a crappy fire pit. Like I said, Nuit Blanche has great writers.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb19.jpg 2:00am - The tail end of the dodgeball matches in the Old Port. This looked like the funnest way to stay warm.
------
20110302_mmpix_nb20.jpg 2:15am - Everything begins to shut down as I snap one last picture before the lights on the ferris wheel go out. I would not arrive home until 4:30am, but that story is for another time. Until next year Nuit Blanche.

If you are in any of these pictures and don't want to be, please let me know! luc@midnightpoutine.ca

If you love this photo essay and can't get enough of my blog stylings, follow me on twitter @lgdoucet

Bluegreen Corporation / March 3, 2011 at 01:09 pm
These are some nice photos for someone who made the disclaimer about not being a photographer. Nice site and post keep up the great work.
Abigail / April 24, 2014 at 06:53 am
Hello! This post could not be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my previous room
mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this
post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
Dorine / April 29, 2014 at 05:53 pm
It's going to be finish of mine day, however before ending I am reading this enormous piece of writing
to improve my know-how.
Hurrah! After all I got a web site from where I can truly get helpful data regarding my study
and knowledge.
www.gameinformer.com / June 10, 2014 at 07:18 pm
Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.

I hope to present one thing again and aid others like you aided me.
Lorna / June 27, 2014 at 03:08 pm
Thanks for some other informative web site. The place else could I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal manner?

I've a venture that I am just now working on, and I've been on the glance out for such info.
Adventure Lights / October 7, 2014 at 06:58 pm
X-rays can be used to diagnose or detect many conditions and disorders
in dogs. Dogs are a great pet and are considered to be men's best
friend. But some dogs shed much more than others, while the ones discussed here shed a lot less.
golu dolls / January 17, 2019 at 10:04 pm