Sunday, September 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City

Metro Roulette: Outremont Station

Posted by Dave / May 25, 2006

Metro1.jpg Are we starting with the best first? Well, I like to think so. The Roulette Wheel was spun, no more bets, and where does the ball land? Outremont Metro. The Metro I like to call my own. The only question now is: how do I put into words how good a tourist attraction my apartment is?

Metro2.jpgOutremont Metro is one of the newest in Montreal's Metro System, being inaugurated on January 4th, 1998. Kudos should go to architects Dupuis, Chapui & Dubuc and artist Gilbert Poissant for their great work on the station. Outremont Metro is not only beautiful, but it truly does reflect the neighborhood it is serving. The station serves not only a mostly residential area, but a pretty well-off one at that. A large skylight brings natural light down from the corner of Van Horne and Wiseman, making it one of only a few stations to bring sunlight into your Metro experience. Street lamps and red brick give the station a very homey and welcoming feel, something that is extremely hard to do in a subway station.

But what to do when you get there?

Summer, as is often the case in Montreal, is the best time to be in the area. There are not only things to do (which I will get into), but just walking around the neighborhood is quite a calming experience.

Church.jpgExiting the station brings you out onto Boulevard Van Horne, a Montreal thoroughfare that runs from the Decarie Expressway (Autoroute 15) all the way to St-Denis, where the name changes to Rosemont. Van Horne offers an array of one off boutiques and restaurants. If you're looking for chains, this is not the place to shop. Walk east (that's Montreal 'east', so North North East if you're using a compass) and you'll end up on Parc Avenue. North on Parc Avenue brings you to Jean Talon, where you can taste some of the best Indian food in town. South on Parc is probably where you want to head on a nice summer's day, into Montreal's Mile End (If you read Spin Magazine, please stop reading now) where you'll be able to spend days checking out bars, restaurants, stores and architecture. It's almost too much to get into, with each street worthy of a post and review of its own. Come to think of it, yes, lets do that.

Bilboquet.jpgAnd here, is where I use a cliché. Here, is where I've saved the best for last. When you're in the area, please, oh please pay a visit to Bilboquet at 1311 Avenue Bernard. This is not just any "Fine Ice Cream Estableshment", but well considered to be the best in the city. On top of that, their prices are increadibly reasonable. If possible, try to avoid weekends as the line goes out into the street.

Where to Go From Here?

Outremont Metro is served by several bus lines. These include:
-161: The Van Horne Route that runs from Westminster in Montreal West to Rosemont Metro
-160: The Barclay Route that runs from just west of Plamondon Metro east to Beaubien Metro

If you're drunk (come on, admit it, you've got a problem) a night bus may be in order. Here's two that service Outremont Metro:
-368: The Mount Royal Route. Montreal night buses offer a very long route, so check out the link for the areas serviced by this route.
-370: The Rosemont Route. See above statement.

Metro3.jpgOutremont Metro

First Train (all times the same, no matter what day of the week)
-Direction Snowdon 05:39am
-Direction Saint-Michel 05:35am

Last Train (all times the same, no matter what day of the week)
-Direction Snowdon 12:24am
-Direction Saint-Michel 12:20am

J Mac / May 26, 2006 at 10:56 am
I love this post. And I love the station. But I really feel that you've done people a disservice by not mentioning Pendelli's Pizza. Which I've never been to, but which <i>looks</i> like an institution.
DC / May 29, 2006 at 01:14 pm
Word. I clicked thinking "okay so he's going to talk about Pendeli's after the jump, break it down for the youngbloods who don't know what time it is" and then nothing.

Do people still use compasses, even?
slutsky / May 31, 2006 at 06:05 pm
van horne pizzeria better than pendeli's
J Mac / May 31, 2006 at 06:13 pm
Yeah, I was thinking that as I walked past there a couple of days ago. I've never eaten in at either place, but I have ordered Pendelli's on account of it looks more like an institution. But I questioned that logic during this recent walk-by. I must sample both.
fun / May 31, 2006 at 06:23 pm
first of all, van horne doesn't start at decarie

2nd of all, your representation of the immediate area surrounding the outremont metro is completely wrong. to get to the indian restaurants of jean talon, you would go to l'acadie, parc and jean talon metro. there is so much to do and see on van horne, bernard and the surrounding areas. it sounds like you need to explore your own neighbourhood.
sister soldier / May 31, 2006 at 06:32 pm
you should be ashamed of yourself for living in this hood and not mentioning ONE THING on van horne, where this metro is located. bilboquet? jean talon? god where are you from, ontario?
sister soldier / May 31, 2006 at 06:45 pm
finally, if you knew anything you'd know pendellis is the only pizza by the slice in mile end/outremont area not counting mt royal st of course... i urge all readers of this trite and inadequate article to walk around and explore van horne. lots to eat, see and do
nugz / May 31, 2006 at 06:49 pm
pizza taste is by the slice
sister soldier / May 31, 2006 at 09:55 pm
pizza taste isnt even worth going to.
Van Horne resident / June 1, 2006 at 03:40 am
Sorry pal, you totally missed the mark on this one. If I were you I would avoid embarrassment, and rewrite the entire article. Jean-Talon market? Have you ever been to Montreal? That's a totally different metro station! Futhermore, there are dozens of excellent places right next to Outremont metro you never mentioned. Most notable is l'Escurier, less than a block from the station, an amazing chocolate/pastry store that makes sandwiches to order and also sells frozen French dishes ready to take home.

It's one thing to exclude a couple places near the station. It's quite another to show that you have obviously never been to the area before. This article gets an F-
J Mac / June 1, 2006 at 10:30 am
Uh, dudes? Especially 'Van Horne resident'? Maybe chill out a little bit? It's pretty clear that Dave chose to focus largely on the metro station itself (note the majority of photos depict it). And the fact that he notes the proximity of the neighbourhood to other great things seems more geographically situational than anything, since he gives a sentence at most to any of the boundary destinations. Van Horne resident: Can you even read? I mean, functionally? Because there's no mention of Jean Talon Market in Dave's piece. It does mention Jean Talon, which you might know is also a street that runs parallel to Van Horne, as Dave notes. Moron.
Dave / June 1, 2006 at 01:09 pm
I have indeed focussed on the metro station. Why? Because it's the part of the trip most people pay absolutely no attention to and which demands a lot of respect. Many people don't know just how new the blue line stations are and how they generally have the most detail. As you have all clearly shown, you know a lot about the area. So I focussed on a point you may or may not know as much about.

There may be stations closer to the Indian Food, but you can still walk it from this station.

Interesting how I didn't mention Jean Talon Market.

I can't mention every restaurant in the area. That's for the individual to explore. The whole point IS to get the reader to get out of their house and explore the area.

Van Horne resident / June 1, 2006 at 04:01 pm
Ok, you didn't mention Jean Talon market. But even Jean Talon is not close to Outremont metro. There is Indian foood much closer. It's about half a block east on Van Horne.

I take my neighbourhood very seriously. Don't front bitches.
sister soldier / June 1, 2006 at 04:03 pm
LOL i thought the entire point of these columns was to explore the areas AROUND the metro stations! it has been advertised as "writers are sent to randomly-chosen, non-downtown metros and told to explore" .. explore does not mean write meaningless text ABOUT the station itself. that is hardly exploration. nobody desires to read about the stations history that is what stm.info is for, and countless other sites about mtl tourism.
the nearest station to the jean talon indian restos is acadie anyone who's lived in this hood for a month could tell you that. parc ex has nothing to do with outremont.
also you mentioned jean talon which is so far removed from this metro and that is enough for us to laugh and throw pies at you forever. you are a joke of a writer.
worst article ever / June 1, 2006 at 04:03 pm
Yes, you gave a whole paragraph to the station and 3 paragraphs to the "neighbourhood" - only you gave 0 relevant information about the area. If you cared so much about indian food, you would have mentioned the fact that there is an indian restaurant 2 blocks from the metro. Paltoquet for example has the best croissants in the city, pendelis and van horne pizza are institution, paris beurre is one of montreal's best kept secrets. there are numerous shops, parks, and a very diverse street life that you completely ignore. the indian restaurants of jean talon are certainly NOT walkable from Outremont Metro. One would have to go down McEachran to rockland to Jean Talon. By foot, that's like an hour walk.... then theres bernard, that's a completely different story. You make no mention of the numerous cafes on both van horne and bernard, the fine dining, and the simple pleasantries of a stroll through the neighbourhood

you might as well tell people that lionel groulx is right beside the downtown shopping district
Mike / June 1, 2006 at 05:09 pm
did the grumpy jerk-wad ward of the psychiatric hospital just get internet access or something???
lol / June 1, 2006 at 07:29 pm
ahaha mike what are you, 12? jerkwad?

anyway the comments on this are way more interesting and relevant than anything in this column, maybe "dave" can learn a thing or two about the neighborhood!
Dave / June 1, 2006 at 08:20 pm
How about Cunty Bollox? The whole point of the Metro Roulette is to come out the metro station and say what you see. You are not supposed to be an expert on the area.

I'm sure many of the comments come Ontario kids who have lived here for a couple of years and pull the "I love my city, Toronto is lame" shit. May I invite you to A: go home B: go fuck yourself. If you hate Bilboquet, I guess you love fucking Ripples, or Ben & Jerry's....you know....cause you're a cunt.

No I'm not from Ontario. Yes I am smarter than you.

Please, go choke on your shite pizza. They don't like you there anyway, you stupid hipster fuck.

"Dave"

PS You're adopted.

dumbass / June 2, 2006 at 09:50 am
oh out with the hipster comments real nice

so tell me, when you came out of outremont metro, did you see jean talon and l'acadie? i know if i jump really high, i can see it too!
dave iz dumb / June 2, 2006 at 09:51 am
this site is just about stupid hipster fucks. calling someone a hipster is a definite sign that you are one yourself. also, "midnight poutine" seems to reek of ONTARIO to me, as does this column, treating everything here like its some cute bullshit without really understanding anything. you did no exploring. telling people about bilboquet is stupid because its one of the most well known ice cream shops in the whole city. why dont you also mention st viateur bagels while youre at it! you are about as smart as a dirty diaper and a lazy journalist, too. you are lucky blogs exist otherwise youd never get a job writing anything. ps. ripples is nasty.
jerkwad / June 2, 2006 at 09:56 am
also, "The whole point of the Metro Roulette is to come out the metro station and say what you see. You are not supposed to be an expert on the area." say what you SEE? ok i sure can see jean talon and bilboquet from the metro station! and i thought your column was supposed to be unique because you actually live around here. so, you are supposed to be an expert, unless you just live here and never explore outremont at all. sounds like someone needs a one way bus ticket back to mississauga.
"Dave" / June 4, 2006 at 01:59 pm
You still seem convinced that I am from Ontario. Would you like me to scan my Passport and show it to you?
Sara / June 9, 2006 at 06:59 pm
man, what kind of stupid shit hipster calls US hipsters? also, what kind of total douche signs into a blog under a bunch of different usernames to create the impression that other people agree with him/her? and what kind of totally retarded fuckwad doesn't know that dave is the OG scottish-montrealer and generally a god amongst men?
Shawn / January 20, 2008 at 05:38 pm
Also of note if you're in this neighbourhood is Jubraz, a wonderful Indian restaurant. I've never had such delicious samosas!
Wallpapers / April 3, 2016 at 12:51 am

Hello I am so happy I found your website, I really found you by error,
while I was looking on Aol for something else, Anyhow I am here
now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the
theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the
minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the excellent work.
wallpapers iphone se / April 3, 2016 at 01:44 am