Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City

Metro Roulette: de la Concorde, in the making

Posted by Hannah / June 20, 2006

concorde.jpgIn an ironic twist on the public-transport versus personal-vehicle debate, I had to drive to my Metro Roulette station. De la Concorde is still being built. Over 5 kilometres of tunnel have been carved out beneath Rivière des Praries, connecting the island of Laval to the island of Montreal, but the first train won't run until early 2007.

concorde%203.jpgDe la Concorde is the second of three stations--all in Laval--to be added to the Orange line. The construction of this trio of stations puts an end to the provincial government's metro moratorium and celebrates 40 years since the Cote-Vertu-Henri-Bourassa (orange) line was finished in 1966. In fact, it's been more than 20 years since a metro stop was added to Montreal's underground.

The station will serve as a transportation hub. It provides the Blainville commuter train another access point to the metro, and will feature a Kiss'N'Ride (what's that in French?) drop off, a taxi-stand and bike racks.The AMT estimates that the extension will bring 50,000 passengers through the new stations and pull 3,000 cars from the roads and bridges daily, easing some Laval-Montreal commuter congestion.

Gilles Vallencourt, the Laval mayor, told CTV's news magazine On Assignment that the improved accessibility will allow the city to focus on a more pedestrian-friendly phase of urban development. And, quite frankly, the neighbourhood around de la Concorde station could use it. (Apart from the Maison des arts a little less than a kilometre down the road.) Some blocks west of the station, de la Concorde street turns into a wide boulevard split by islands of green. It has a quaint, village-like feel that encourages walking. What the intersection does have is a bike path (part of La Route Verte) that leads down to the water, where one can tour a series of riverside parks and a bizarre assortment of housing styles ranging from suburban McMansions, ascetic modern boxes and one-storey mid-century bungalows.

concorde%202.jpgLike the metro systems other stations de la Concorde is expected to pull natural light into the station's depths and feature artwork as part of the Quebec government's 1% funding plan.

Although, in essence, the Laval extension is a good thing, the project is hopelessly over-budget--nearly $700 million. Our own MP contributors Sara and Mike describe the Laval metro extension project as a boondoggle.

Our metro system is reputed to be the second-largest in Canada, but it still screams for improvements. The ticketing system is archaic, the price of a ride is outrageous (and discourages commuters from leaving their cars behind) and its reach remains pathetic. Certainly not the mega-metro that was envisioned back in the sixites. metro%20plan.jpg

Dave / June 20, 2006 at 01:47 pm
The fact that the extention into Laval is soooo over budget really kills me. It pretty much guarantees no more expantions for quite some time.

Although the fare of a ride seems expensive, when you compare it to Toronto, who have a Student Rate Bus Pass at around $100 per month, it's really not that bad.

In terms of the new station itself, it's nice to see it incorporate some natural light. Always appreciated.
Sara / June 20, 2006 at 08:38 pm
metro to the airport! shit yeah!
Dave / June 20, 2006 at 10:40 pm
Well, it won't be that far off. A hotel is currently under construction at the airport's main terminal. Under the hotel will be two things. 1: new US flight check in and immigration facilities. 2: a train station for the high speed rail link to downtown Montreal.
Ugg Boots Outlet / November 27, 2013 at 11:25 pm
I think you see me, I like this 13econ1126, It's a nice post. May be u can go this way follow us.
??? ??????? ?????? / April 21, 2014 at 09:56 pm
Hi there! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for the great info
you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your site for more soon.
??? ?????????? / May 17, 2014 at 07:09 pm
Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much about this, like you wrote the guide in it or something.
I think that you just could do with some p.c. to pressure the message house
a bit, but other than that, that is fantastic blog. A fantastic read.
I'll certainly be back.
Fill / February 4, 2015 at 06:12 am
Wow Viv, I can see you went crazy, but the fabrics look amaizng. I think you did the right thing in taking advantage of the opportunity, it's not fun to regret afterwards! But I think I can hear your wallet screaming all the way from my place!!!But you did not buy flower head pins? I see they have blue ones in the states and only 2.99$ for the box. Any ways, I should not be an enabler! but thanks for the web site, I'll look around for a little while.
sildenafil / April 1, 2015 at 10:07 am
Tenon saw is a hard backed small tooth saw for cuinttg tenons. That’s the square peg that goes into the square hole (mortise). Bench hook is used on a work bench to hold the piece of wood down while cuinttg. Chisel is used for making the mortises. Mallet is for striking the chisel. Bench hold-fast is another clamping item for use on the work bench. Sanding disk is an electric palm sander that uses round sheets of sandpaper.
This Week / March 29, 2016 at 07:57 am

What's up mates, pleasant piece of writing and nice urging commented at this place, I
am truly enjoying by these.