Sunday, September 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City

Movin' On Up, Over or Out?

Posted by Nika / June 12, 2006

peel.jpg
photo by Jared Visscher

Guys, did you even notice that the Peel Pub has moved? Me neither, go figure.

After 46 years at the Peel/Ste-Catherine address, the famed student watering hole up and moved all their cheap-ass beer kegs and high-tailed them to another address. No worries though, they’re still on rue Peel, right across from Dorchester Park (where there used to be that Wendy’s).

I met Peel Pub waitress Jessica last week and couldn’t help but to ask her about all those old dudes that frequent the place. “Some of the older regulars are having a really hard time with it ... these guys have been hanging out there for twenty to thirty years, they had their favorite tables and chairs and sat there every day at the same time so this move has really shaken up their world.”

Old school regulars aside, the new 2 floor digs seems like a pleasant change from the ancient basement. They’ve actually added a dance club on the top floor. Mind you, some things will never change: obnoxious big screen TVs, dirt cheap beer (happy hour = 2 fer 1 pitchers) and disturbingly loud 18-year old Americans.

Jessica enlightens us, “The official opening of the new place was Wednesday May 31st. The reasons for moving mostly had to do with the smoking ban. The previous location was a basement and it was too difficult for people to go outside, especially on weekends when there are lineups and security has to monitor how many people go in and out. Also, the place was old. They tried some renovations last year but it was really time to start fresh.”

See? You learned something new today.

Evelyne / June 12, 2006 at 12:24 pm
One of my friends in CEGEP got the whole shooter menu as a "gift" from his friends on his 18th birthday. SO EXTREEEEEME! We were planning to go to Sona after, and he was so excited, but wound up sleeping in the car. Rapport.
Dave / June 12, 2006 at 01:55 pm
Wait, people still go to Peel Pub? Quite possibly why I hadn't noticed it had moved. Please, what ever you do, do not order food there. I've seen too many Pizzagetti's arrive with the getti part half eaten.

Frank Liquide / June 12, 2006 at 02:41 pm
À momment donné, y avait 3 Peel Pub: celui sur Ste-Cath, celui sur Maisonneuve pis un autre sur Parc avec la bière à 75 cents pis des shows raggae. J'y allais tout le temps avant d'aller voir des shows. Avant le show des Replacements au Spectrum, moi pi un ami on avait tellement bu au Peel Pub qu'en sortant on s'est mis sortant à marcher sur les char sur Ste-Cath pis on avait aussi commencé à chahuter Marc Coiteux de Musique Plus... Good ol' days...
Frank Liquide / June 12, 2006 at 02:42 pm
À momment donné, y avait 3 Peel Pub: celui sur Ste-Cath, celui sur Maisonneuve pis un autre sur Parc avec la bière à 75 cents pis des shows reggae. J'y allais tout le temps avant d'aller voir des shows. Avant le show des Replacements au Spectrum, moi pi un ami on avait tellement bu au Peel Pub qu'en sortant on s'est mis sortant à marcher sur les char sur Ste-Cath pis on avait aussi commencé à chahuter Marc Coiteux de Musique Plus... Good ol' days...
jorge / June 12, 2006 at 04:08 pm
as far as i know, the original peel pub is still there
Nika Vee / June 12, 2006 at 04:30 pm
Oh man, the stories... I totally remember the one on Maisonneuve cause my friends used to play JAZZ GIGS there! Imagine all these serious musicians, playing the standards upright bass and all, in front of HUGE SCREEN TVs. I also remember 99 cent spaghetti. A student's dream, a hygenists' nightmare.

Jorge, it's goooooone.
J Mac / June 12, 2006 at 05:15 pm
The Peel on Maisonneuve was the location of my very first Montreal bar experience, when I was 15 and visiting my friend JF for the weekend. I thought it was the greatest place on earth at the time. About 5 years later a friend came to visit me, and went there alone for some reason. During that visit, a dude got shot during a brawl. My friend brought back a broken Peel nametag that he said came from the floor next to a waiter who had been knocked out with a chair.
Tequila / February 4, 2015 at 03:23 am
I've been doing the same thing. The most cost effective meothd I've found is to buy good quality card paper (card board really) from newsagents, about 60c each, from which I can get two cards. Great colours available including metallics for 85c. Either stick photos straight on front or cut cut-outs with stanley knife and cutting mat. If you're careful enough, they look professional.