Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City

Le Buddhi Lounge: Open Mic Wednesday Nights

Posted by Christy / December 13, 2006

973194269_l.jpg
This is one of those entries I dread to write, because I know I'm giving away something way too good, and soon everyone will know about it and it won't be my secret anymore. I'm talking about Le Buddhi Lounge, open since July. Now you know.

Le Buddhi Lounge is, essentially, a grotto, a pirate's shelter, an opium den tucked into a underground shop just east of Laval on Duluth. You'll know it by the little sidewalk sign out front, pointing jauntily inside. It's got the second-hand cool of Cafe Esperanza, but without the sneaking feeling of having sold a little piece of your soul to merit a table. It's a tiny magical world full of strange nooks and extremely comfortable seating. You can literally spend fifteen minutes exploring the mysteries of the restroom. Also, the menu kicks ass. You get your choice of exotic coffees or teas served in Chinese teapots--or a shisha, if the opium den vibe suits yer works--and they serve inexpensive piles of deliciousness called "pyramids." You can enjoy it all with one of the many internet-ready computers in rooms with themes like "The Center of the World."

And did we mention the live music? AND THE OPEN MIC?

The Buddhi Lounge is open Wednesday through Saturdays, from noon until 3 am. Every night features live jazz, with an already-kicking open mic on Wednesday nights, as well as screenings of things like the six part documentary The Nature of Sex in the afternoons. Even when there isn't a live band (doubtful) it's likely you'll find Larry, the mysteriously laid-back proprietor, hunched on an overstuffed couch, picking on one of several available guitars, or a DJ in the back playing something unexpected and cool.

For a certain kind of person, the Buddhi Lounge will be an oasis. Tonight's the night to check it out. For more information, see them at http://www.myspace.com/lebuddhilounge.

Marty / December 13, 2006 at 01:50 pm
Holy cow of India.
This place is something I have never experienced in my life.
It's exactly what Montreal needed in this day and age.
Stéphanie / December 13, 2006 at 01:52 pm
I just found my new home outside of home.
Christy / December 13, 2006 at 02:07 pm
Seriously. Also try to go on Thursday or in the early evening when it's slower. It won't be THRILLING but everyone who you meet during those times will automatically be your friend and you'll have a great and totally unexpected conversation.
Fairfax / December 14, 2006 at 06:25 pm
I've walked by this place I don't know how many hundreds of times since it opened - since I live two blocks away. I've always thought it looked intriguing, but have never bothered to drop in and check it out. After reading this I'll be sure to stop by some time soon.
Christy / December 15, 2006 at 08:42 am
Me too, Fairfax. I finally got shoo'd in the door by the dude Larry himself, as I was standing outside in sweaty running clothes, contemplating the balance between probably ruining everyone else's evening with my stank and potentially uplifting my own. Lucky I got shoo'd.
Speak da truth / December 15, 2006 at 01:46 pm
I am so glad to have read this article about this place difficult to describe as I spent one of the most stimulating evening ever. Ecclectic, trippy decor, and most of all the people there all have this look in there eyes that they are the select few that have discovered this gem. I had a great oriental Oolong Ginseng tea listening to Trike (loungafied as he called it) singing some cheezy loungy songs in a Dean Martin singin style. I loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!
Fairfax / December 15, 2006 at 02:21 pm
He tried to usher me in a couple of weeks back as well. I brushed him off, didn't even stop walking as he attempted to engage me in a conversation. I felt bad because he seemed very friendly, but I was sick with a very bad cold and just wanted to get home in to my warm bed ASAP. You never know what you're missing when you're in a hurry to get somewhere else, I guess...
christy / December 15, 2006 at 02:30 pm
Ooh, and Speakda, did you dig the loaner light clips they have for those who just want to chill and read in the dark? I mean, come ON, who is this guy?
speakdatruth / December 15, 2006 at 04:51 pm
No usher light.
A board game
by the candle light.
Marina / February 4, 2015 at 03:37 am
H..Your thoughts are paitarlly correct,once Nepal was so close to victory in T20 against Sri Lanka in Guangzhou but it was tight one, but neither before nor after that date Nepal has not been able to prove themselves in T20. Nepal lost to HongKong in Asiad, where it has won many matches in 50 over match. In ACC T20 Elite it lost to Malaysia ,nearly lost with Kuwait tooo(thanks to Binod Bhandari who hit six of last ball when seven run was needed). And Now you are taking about Afghanistan Ireland Netherland Canada Kenya. Hahahaha. AFG le ta India sanga pani 130 katako thyo.RSA lai 130 ma pack paryeko thyo. Ned ko ta jhan k kura England lie jiteko haina? Ani aru pani ustai ho. Scotland le Nzl lie 7 over ma 62 run ko target deko tha6. And in front of these teams you say Nepal can win. NO CHANCE. 5o 5o ma baru chance hun6. (See USA HNK who beat Bermuda Scotland etc)
Wedneday / March 31, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Yes! Finally something about hump day pictures hump day.
golu dolls / March 21, 2019 at 12:44 am