Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City

Modest Rebel: Roadsworth @ Montreal Documentary Fest

Posted by Olivier / November 8, 2008

roadsworthzipper1.jpg
Every morning, as I walk to the metro, I pass by a garage door next to my apartment. Like much of this section of the Plateau, this door is covered in graffiti, but one lyrical expression seems to stick out, written in giant letters: “Nique ta mere, par l’avant comme par l’arriere”. Poetry, to be sure, but one gets the sense that the neighbourhood is not exactly better off for it.

Yet how do we decide what is good graffiti? Why does some graffiti cause anger in the general, non-tagging public, while other graffiti is tolerated and even appreciated? And why, sometimes, does a street artist like Montreal’s Roadsworth have such a groundswell of public support that municipal authorities are swayed to overlook the law? I sat down this week with Roadsworth and Alan Kohl, the director of the new NFB documentary, “Roadsworth: Crossing the Line”, to talk about public art in Montreal.

roadsworthdaffodilsparking1.jpgRoadsworth chose the innocuous Café Italia in Little Italy for our interview, which seemed consistent with the Roadsworth we are introduced to in the documentary: a likeable, unpretentious guy who seems a bit bemused by all the attention he has received. In the film, he admits that he’s “never read Kant”, and his self-deprecating perspectives on whether he’s a capital “A” Artist is refreshing. During our interview, we discuss the influence of graffiti artists on his work, and he admits that he has only ever been tangentially connected to the community. He never even knew who Banksy was when he started, he admits to me, as if I knew anything about graffiti art. I admit to him I have never heard of Banksy (Turns out Banksy is a world renowned street artist whose stencil work is closer to Roadsworth’s pieces than your run-of-the-mill grafitti tags).

But during our interview Roadsworth stressed that there is no real difference between so-called graffiti and public art, only a difference in techniques and styles. He rejects the idea that his work itself is any more legitimate than a graffiti artist’s, but he will admit that the spaces these artists use may hurt the legitimacy of their art. Roadsworth only uses public spaces, and ignored/dilapidated ones at that. Graffiti artists using private spaces are crossing a line that Roadsworth isn’t. More orthodox street artists might disagree with Roadsworth, pointing out that the ethos of street art is political and any graffiti that is bound by property rules is no longer challenging society. I for one am glad that Roadsworth doesn’t worry about appeasing these people- in the film he mulls over the question of whether or not he has sold out by doing commissioned public works for the city, and concludes that he both has and hasn’t, with little consequence either way. His work is still thought provoking, and still challenges our understanding of the urban environment.

Roadsworth himself admits he’s not a martyr ready to go to jail to defend his art. To me, he just looks like a guy who likes what he does and wants other people to enjoy it too. Roadsworth even humbly explains that his arrest by the Amsterdam police, as shown in the film, was less an act of defiant courage and more of a failure to hear the yells from an irate Dutch woman warning him she was calling the police. This is not a guy who feels the need to show off his street cred.

roadsworthbullets1.jpgBut that doesn't mean that Roadsworth has taken the easy route. The cost of making his art was an arrest and fifty-plus charges from the Montreal police, an ordeal which the film documents well. And despite positive public reactions to his work, there is no guarantee that he won’t be arrested in the future. As of now, he manages to co-operate well with Montreal authorities, but he refused to take the bait when I suggested his work could only happen in Montreal. Montreal is indeed a more tolerant atmosphere than many cities, Roadsworth says, but he found that cities like Berlin and Barcelona have a similar openness. He could have easily given me the line I wanted to hear, “There’s no place like Montreal”, but Roadsworth is not someone who likes the easy answer or cliché- he does not see his desire to make public art as a David vs. Goliath battle, and he rejects attempts to rigidly define nebulous concepts like “street art”. This is a guy, after all, who only a few years ago was a waiter by day and a guerilla artist by night. He is, if anything, a pragmatist unable to contain a desire to create and provoke. And, unlike guys writing "Nique ta mere...", what he creates happens to be really good art. No one seems to be able to figure out where exactly that line begins and ends, but at least there's agreement that Roadsworth is on the right side of it.

“Roadsworth: Crossing the Line” is playing November 21st and 22nd as part of the Rencontres internationales du documentaire de Montréal (RIDM)

Oliver / November 9, 2008 at 02:01 pm
The film will also be released theatrically as of November 22nd @ Cinéma Du Parc!
Jer / November 9, 2008 at 07:01 pm
Great interview.
G / November 10, 2008 at 12:54 am
I kinda wanted to paste Adolfo's comment here, but didn't want to tick you off.
Francis / November 10, 2008 at 10:19 am
To me this is one of the most interesting form of art. It's accessible to everyone, and whenever you come across one of Roadsworth creations, it makes you aware of your surroundings and does make you think about the creative process behind this street art. That road zipper is simply genius!
the pirate bay / January 18, 2014 at 04:53 am
But within the last few years, IPTV has dwarfed the caliber of DVD and Cable TV.
So far, reactions to the acquisition, as well as to the announcement from the new business
model, have been mixed, but only time will state whether or not only a revamped version from the
massively popular peer-to-peer website will probably be
as successful becasue it is predecessor. Now, movies aren't the one thing that piracy trackers allow links too.
Inna / February 4, 2015 at 07:59 am
on I've lived in Barcelona for almost 8 years and only relcntey discovered just how much street art there is in this city. A lot of it is worn away or painted over, but for me that makes it even more beautiful because it's in a constant state of flux. A lot of the pictures I've taken are of damaged goods , but they're my favorites. Of this collection, my favorite would have to be the street cleaner rinsing away the cave paintings.
http://wordpress.wbc.fr/members/alizahinchclif/ / February 5, 2015 at 12:17 am
Just want to say your article is as astounding. The
clarity in your post is just cool and i can assume
you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep
up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.
Magnolia / February 5, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will ensure that
I bookmark your blog and definitely will come back someday.
I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a
nice holiday weekend!
boogie board lcd writing tablets / February 11, 2015 at 07:52 am
The Stylus Stand Slot is designed to allow the stylus to slip
through the slot and support the Jot in landscape position so you can draw or write
with your finger or another stylus. 5 million books available,
while the Kindle Fire offers 1. If she's tired of watching mediocre-quality home movies
on her HDTV, then it's time to upgrade mom to an HDV
high definition camcorder.
happy hump day pictures / March 31, 2016 at 10:21 pm

We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a
new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable info to work on.
You have done a formidable activity and our entire neighborhood
will likely be thankful to you.
Alton / November 14, 2016 at 03:08 am
Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude!
Thank you so much, However I am having troubles
with your RSS. I don't know why I can't join it. Is there anyone else having similar RSS problems?
Anybody who knows the solution can you kindly
respond? Thanx!!
faux van cleef bague / February 28, 2017 at 06:36 pm
cartierlovejesduas My stance for years has been you had to be there for the conception or be a medical person to be at the birth. If my mother or mother-in-law had been there for the conception they could be at the birth, but we’d probably have other issues to talk about at that point.
faux van cleef bague
fake gold cartier ballon bleu / February 28, 2017 at 06:36 pm
cartierlovejesduas Really from what I can tell most of our soldiers who died or got injured where done by IAD’s. Since you seem to have such intimate knowledge of what goes on in war zones. Please tell me what other American soldier was made prisoner.
fake gold cartier ballon bleu
cartierlovejesduas Mt. Timp Temple is a large temple with a laundry–they do not require socks. Oquirrh Mountain is a much smaller temple. They require socks. I do not know if they have a laundry or not.
van cleef arpels alhambra braccialetto turchese buon
cartierlovejesduas ??????, ?? 30 ??? 40 ?? ???????
van cleef arpels alhambra bracciale diamante imitazione
golu dolls / February 5, 2019 at 11:52 pm