Sunday, October 13, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Fashion

Austin, TX: Where's the Weird?

Posted by Dave / February 27, 2006

AustinBlog1Night.jpgWhen this Travel Assignment hit my desk, I admit to getting quite excited. Austin, Texas. I had heard the stories, but I'd now get to experience it first hand. Keep Austin Weird, that's the city's slogan. However, after 5 days here I am troubled with the question.....Where's the Weird? Perhaps they put it away for the winter? Maybe they've used up February's allotment of Weird and I'd have to wait until March for more? My final conclusion is, only the rest of Texas could find this place "weird".

AustinBlog3Capital.jpgOkay, this city isn't horrible. I've been to much worse (I'm looking at you Atlanta). But it's nothing I haven't seen in most other cities. I know this place has SXSW going for it, and I give it full cred for that. The fact that I'm missing it by about a week still makes me feel a bit sick. There's also no shortage of places to eat and drink. 6th street alone could keep me going for a week. However, the street has nothing that I wouldn't find in any town that has a University. It's all bars with some silly theme and young good looking people trying to invite you in.

There are however a couple of good places to note. Habana, a Cuban restaurant located on 6th Street was worth my visit alone. I had one of the best Mojitos I've ever had, AND my meal was delish. They also have a really nice patio area out back that would have made the evening perfect, if it wasn't too cold to eat outside.

Another thing of note in Austin are buildings. It sometimes takes a bit of walking around to find, but if you spend the time doing so, it pays off. Some of the homes are magnificent, only ruined by the huge Hummer parked out front. The walk will also bring you to two other worth while visits, Whole Foods and Waterloo Record Store Waterloo Records.

AustinBlog4sign.jpg
AustinBlog2NiceHouse.jpg
AustinBlog5Emos.jpg

Test

J Mac / February 27, 2006 at 03:07 pm
It's entirely possible that Austin only gets weird during SXSW. But your theory that the measuring stick of weirdness is the rest of Texas could be dead-on, too (some smartasses in San Antonio make competing t-shirts that read "Keep San Antonio Lame"). Weirdness is relative, you know? Like, if you went to a jock high school, there were weird people, but their weirdness would pale relative to the weirdness of those considered weird at the art and drama high school. Hypothetically.

Were there no bats? Did you look for the bats?
Dave / February 27, 2006 at 06:04 pm
No bats, however it's possible I either wasn't out late enough for them or the weather was too bad. The city was hit with terrible fog for the first few days I was there.

Something I forgot to mention, when you got to Austin, go to the convenience store on the corner of 6th and Brazos. The woman that works there is fantastic. She plays loud Keith Sweat type music and just dances and sings to it all day long. And she calls me "Baby" with that southern accent.

Sara / February 27, 2006 at 10:47 pm
weird... i guess not. but austin rules. when i was there, it was like this perfect sunny paradise every day. i went here: http://www.rhizomecollective.org/ and biked around a lot and picked chestnuts off the grass. as it turns out, austin makes ME weird.
quinn / March 8, 2006 at 12:28 am
um... sixth street is the WORST possible place to experience the "weirdness" of Austin. that strip is the frat boy's reign, and is NOT representative of the city as a whole. i lived there for three years and only wasted a few nights on sixth street, usually if i was going to a show at emo's. everyone hates sixth street. go somewhere else next time!
laurie / September 20, 2006 at 12:21 am
yeah Austin definitly is weird. you just have to not go onto 6th street. did you go onto the drag (guadalupe?). or "esther's follies". austin is widely known for the live music capitol of the world. did you go to emo's or stubb's or any of the 150 music venues that are open every night? the bats come out every night under the congress bridge. over 1.5 million free tailed Mexican bats fly out of the bridge at night. zilker park is another amazing place to visit. did you have a run-in with leslie, the famous transvestite or any ladies that were topless? Austin is one of the only city where it is still legal to be topless. What about the lake? Hippie Hollow is a famous nude park in Austin, but there are plenty of other coves in the lake. Volente BEach, Windy point, Sandy Creek.. Obviously you didn't go everywhere in Austin beside 6th street because there is plenty to see there.
iphone se backgrounds / April 3, 2016 at 12:54 am

If you are going for best contents like me, only go to see this web site daily for the reason that it gives feature contents, thanks
dark images / April 3, 2016 at 01:21 am

This piece of writing will assist the internet viewers
for creating new website or even a blog from start to end.
mirrorless fotocamera / June 5, 2016 at 04:08 am
Article writing is also a fun, if you be acquainted with afterward you can write or else it is complicated to write.
RossNTreglia / September 16, 2016 at 07:37 pm
Howdy just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up.
The text within your content seem to be running from the screen in Internet explorer.
I'm unsure if this sounds like a format issue or something
connected to internet browser compatibility having said that i figured I'd post to let
you know. The design and style look wonderful though!

Hope you obtain the issue resolved soon. Thanks