10 Montreal dudes winning at facial hair
Real men don't shave. Real men trim, twirl, and rub things like moustache wax or beard oil into their own-grown facial creations. But to confidently pull off a look that ninety per cent of men can't (or won't) — that alone more than off-sets the lost earnings potential.
One such group of characters, rallying under the Montreal Facial Hair Club banner, gathered at Divan Orange last Thursday night for their first-ever beard and moustache competition, vying for a symbolic trinket and bragging rights in three different categories. Bands played in-between.
Let us see how they did.
1. Gérard Depardieu, is that you?
2. This kind of look is probably key to keeping both a moustache AND a respectable day-time job. (But what would I know about either?)
3. A member of Hey Sugar, one of the bands that played, was not at all out of place
4. More Hey Sugar. Hmmm, 2013 - 20 = 1993, so get ready for a grunge revival in 3, 2, 1, ...
5. Solid, solid handlebar 'stache
6. Now that's a well-maintained face rug.
7. DJ Seba also did well, complementing his beard with a symmetric sculpted-looking do
8. Jean, who won for best freestyle moustache, showed that half this game is how you incorporate your whiskers into your overall sense of style. (You probably can't tell that from this shot, though.)
9. On Thursday morning, Gabriel here sported a full beard. Then he deleted the connecting elements, ending up with a hybrid sideburns + Colonel Sanders look. This won him the "King of the Mojos" category
10. Gogol, singer/guitarist in Ultraptérodactyle, won for best natural beard