Wednesday, January 29, 2020Light Snow -5°C
Film

FILM CLUB: Repo Man@Boa 9/04

Posted by Omar / September 1, 2006

Repo%20man.jpg
Whenever you ask the question, "Why did the world need Emilio Estevez?" (and I ask that question frequently), there can only be one answer – Repo Man. Back before "indie," when we actually believed there was something called "an underground," Alex Cox made real cinematic punk.

Dirty, irreverent, filled with the poetry of the gutter and a flip of the ol' bird to authority, Repo Man was simply born to be a cult classic. And as all of us gear up for another semester of school, or the new season of crap on television, or the busy part of the working year – couldn't we all use a little bit of that classic punk spirit?

Same Boa Time, Same Boa Channel: Monday night at 8:30 (Boa Taverne Modern, 5301 St. Laurent St). Free movie. Drinks and popcorn served. Getting drunk while watching Repo Man is an opportunity indeed.

This tale of a "white, suburban punk" named Otto, who falls into the world of repo-men, soon becomes a wild manic tale involving a 1964 Chevy Malibu, culty Scientology-like religions, nuclear chicanery and a trunk possibly filled with aliens.

Did I also mention it co-stars the brilliant Harry Dean Stanton?

Alex Cox, of Sid and Nancy fame, has a great satirical style. Everything in Repo Man's world is labelled generically. Food is labelled FOOD and beer is labelled BEER and parents become comatose watching evangelical television. As the 80s retro thing continues to force its way into nostalgia fads, I'd rather watch Repo Man a billion more times than Sixteen Candles or Fast Times at Ridgemont High (but I would probably cave in and watch The Breakfast Club for the millionth time). Though seeped in 80s reference, Repo Man could easily work in Bush's America.

Good satire is always good satire.

Plus an awesome soundtrack featuring The Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, The Plugz, Black Flag and Iggy. If you are not sold yet ... you're just not my kind of people.

And for any film distributors and studio heads who may be reading this ... back off, man! We don't have to uphold your laws. We're free, damnit, free! DOWN WITH THE FUCKING CORPORATION!!

(The following is merely 'poseur talk' - and should not be construed as a threat of any kind. This post was intended as a fantasy only, and any resemblance to persons living or dead are purely coincidental. Furthermore, we would be happy to comply with any wishes that you may wish to present us at any time, now or in the future. I love Big Brother.)

Sara / September 1, 2006 at 11:47 pm
holy SHIT! i fucking LOVE repo man and i thought only fellow stoners from stratford appreciated its genius. plus, i was talking about it with one of those fellows like two days ago. must be one of those shrimp/plate of shrimp things...
FX / September 2, 2006 at 03:10 am
Count me in!
Christy / September 4, 2006 at 07:58 am
I like your death knell on the concept of the "underground." There is no underground anymore, just capitalism--and varying degrees of marketability.

Speaking of the eighties, I've decided to change my name to Hot Pink Soul.
Dave / September 5, 2006 at 12:28 am
OMAR, check it out! Great movie.....BUT....on the walk home, we came across this on the sidewalk!

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547418@N00/234625675/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/63547418@N00/234625675/</a>

Seriously, I took this photo on the walk home. This means something, right? Guide me!
Omar / September 5, 2006 at 02:07 pm
DAVE, I hardly know you, but I nevertheless salute you for providing me one of the highlights of my entire month.

Talk about the 'collective unconscious."
trent / December 10, 2009 at 08:21 pm
Big fan of the film here, visit my Repo Man Film page on facebook or www.repomanfilm.com
michael kors handbags outlet / November 27, 2013 at 08:37 pm
Shop Cheap Prada Handbags and Prada Purses in Prada Outlet online store.Choose from a large selection of 100% Authentic Prada Bags on sale.
michael kors handbags outlet http://www.billcost.gr
keratosis pilaris / June 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm
As a child, I burned and blistered every summer, always mindful of having to avoid the sun and cover up.
For those with unknown food allergies, it would
help to keep a food diary where you can note your food intake as well as describe
the severity of your skin condition. Although it doesn't cause physical problems, patients with the condition may be uncomfortable
with the feel and look of their skin.
Azhaf / February 4, 2015 at 03:36 am
i have iphone 4s .ios 6 .when ever i try to jaraeiblk , i can not do .i want to jaraeiblk and put MMkeyboard and font .if someone know how to do please tell me thanks.
Wonderful post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit
further. Appreciate it!