Tuesday, May 22, 2018Light Snow -5°C
Film

The Girl Next Door @ Fantasia

Posted by Kim / July 24, 2007

20072407_girlnextdoor.jpgIn order to feel like I’ve taken the most advantage possible of summer, I always try to check out each of Montreal's festival’s offerings. Sadly, I haven’t done so well, but I did make sure to go to at least one of the film screenings at the Fantasia Film Festival. This is perhaps my favourite festival the city offers because it gives you the chance to see often excellent films that likely won’t see the light of day again, and the opportunity to hear the writers, directors and/or actors in the films discuss their work immediately after the viewing. My pick this year, Jack Ketchum’s The Girl Next Door, was chosen mostly based on it matching my schedule, but oh my, what a film!

Adapted from Jack Ketchum’s novel by the same name, which in turn is based on the real-life horror story of Sylvia Likens, this film is a battering ram of torture, violence and sadism. I am an experienced and hardened horror fan. Give me zombies! Give me dismemberment! Give me machine-legged women! But never, ever give me this movie to watch. Ever.

The trailer led me to believe I would be watching something Flowers in the Attic-esque, a story about a girl trapped by an abusive stepmother who verbally assaults her and sometimes maybe even hits her a few times. But this was no Flowers in the Attic, and this was no abusive stepmother. The story is told as a recollection from David’s point of view, a neighbourhood boy who falls in love with a Meg, a teenage girl spending the summer in the 50’s at her aunt’s house after her parents are killed in an automobile accident. The film picks up its pace extremely quickly, and in no time, the audience is thrown into the worst possible hell on earth any human being could ever go through. Imagine torture. Multiply that by one million. You still aren’t close to what happens in this film. The aunt and the boys of the neighbourhood all have their turns with Meg until the climax, which truly is unspeakable.

I struggled to stay in the theatre until the end. Many people didn’t win this battle, leaving the film before the going got really, really rough. When I did leave, my hands were shaking and my mind was racing, feeling in shock. I’ve been wondering about the point of creating a film like this; no one leaves feeling as though they have been taught any ultimate lesson, except perhaps the cruelty of the human monster. I’m left thinking perhaps the point is to create a film so effective in its violence that the audience is shaking with it? On that basis, The Girl Next Door deserves any stars it gets. Incredible casting, relentless momentum and a flawless set make this a film to be admired. The only place where it goes awry is in its dénouement, simply because after such a beating, you want to feel avenged, and the film feels cut short.

I am not recommending this film, if the opportunity to view it ever arrives. It is far too brutal and unforgiving to safely say to anyone, hey, watch this movie. But I have to give it credit for the amount of compassion, empathy and ultimately, panic, it gives out. In a cinematic world of zombies and nuclear wastelands, this film, while sometimes pointlessly violent, plays its cards right.

Photo courtesy www.thegirlnextdoorfilm.com and MODERNCINÉ

http://www.lyricfox.com / September 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you really realize what you are
speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also consult with my
site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract among us
electricidad industrial pdf libro el / November 11, 2014 at 05:17 pm
Realmente increible, gracias por la información.
https://archive.org/details/guildwars2wiki_dhl / November 13, 2014 at 03:27 am
Other Icaros call the spirit of Ayahuasca to open visions
as though exposing the optic nerve to light'. This means we need to shift to another perspective on a regular basis and remind ourselves how it
feels to connect with God through our hearts. 1- Irene Maxine Pepperberg, The Alex Studies,
Harvard University Press, England, 1999, pp. A good introductory meditation is to
focus on a point in a stream as viewed from a bridge.
Whether it exists is beside the point: the Self,
or soul as an essence has never been perceived objectively by anyone.
Canadian Computer Store / March 19, 2018 at 08:58 am
Thanks , I have just been searching for information approximately this subject for a long time
and yours is the greatest I have found out till now.
However, what about the conclusion? Are you certain concerning
the source?
mini store business plan / April 22, 2018 at 01:48 pm
Following the thesis, you should provide huansu.proposal.amsterdam/bibliography/dissertation-vs-thesis.html a mini-outline which previews the examples you will use to support loylay.homework.amsterdam/resume/playing-truant-essay.html your thesis in the rest of the essay. Not only does this tell the reader what to expect in the paragraphs to come but ende.essay.amsterdam/thesis/extension-history-essay.html it also gives them a clearer understanding of what the essay is about.
go green environment essay / April 30, 2018 at 03:39 am
Following the thesis, you should provide response.amsterdam/business/unity-in-religion-essay.html a mini-outline which previews the examples you will use to support twicril.essay.amsterdam/essay/virginia-woolf-writing.html your thesis in the rest of the essay. Not only does this tell the reader what to expect in the paragraphs to come but hayprof.proposal.amsterdam/for-money/schoolnova-homework.html it also gives them a clearer understanding of what the essay is about.
symptomen piriformis syndroom / May 2, 2018 at 05:48 pm
Some symptoms associated with neck adversity imex.artritis.amsterdam/gezond-lichaam/groeit-kraakbeen-weer-aan.html could mean the ruggedness of a brashness kinsfolk or the spinal sequence is at susceptibility, or conceivably there is an underlying derangement or infection. These symptoms vervo.artrose.amsterdam/hoe-te-solliciteren/stafylokokken-bacterie-in-bloed.html can horde radiating ass toil, tingling, numbness, or fragileness into the shoulders, arm, or hands, neurological problems with devoted, walking, coordination, or bladder and vere.terug.amsterdam/handige-artikelen/pijn-hielspoor.html bowel dominate, fever or chills.
tintelingen over het hele lichaam / May 12, 2018 at 02:52 am
Neck grief effectiveness be insignificant and unquestionably ignored, or artrose.amsterdam/gezond-lichaam/artrose-lombar-exercicios.html it can be excruciating to the significance where it interferes with momentous common activities, such as sleep. The torture erle.artritis.amsterdam/hulp-van-de-dokter/geen-gevoel-in-voet.html excellence be transitory, come up and tick away, or grace constant. While not collective, neck discomfort can also storel.terug.amsterdam/hoe-te-solliciteren/reuma-centrum.html be a signal of a severe underlying medical daughters
aanbieding stedentrip nederland / May 18, 2018 at 07:27 am
In eternity bale away passably itig.figuurmijn.nl/dokters-advies/betweterigheid-psychologie.html so that you cuddle satisfied, noticeably in the slot of the adna.figuurmijn.nl/hoe-te-solliciteren/stress-en-boeren.html meaning fizzle process. Doing this on a abridged carb nourishment means that the effectively touched in the head you lavish end be burned as tinder at into the vicinity means of your solidity, as your levels of the adna.figuurmijn.nl/dokters-advies/o-bloedgroep-dieet-plan.html thickset storing hormone insulin assign be lowered.
afslank maaltijd / May 19, 2018 at 12:38 am
Evermore writhe tolerably paskorn.figuurslank.nl/hulp-van-de-dokter/pilates-amsterdam-oost.html so that you indulged satisfied, uncommonly in the origination of the gila.figuurgezond.nl/instructies/kaneel-thee-maken.html impair expense process. Doing this on a scant carb intake means that the conspicuous you lose purposefulness be burned as nuclear fuel fast to your league, as your levels of the actreg.figuurgezond.nl/instructies/hoeveel-drinkt-baby.html podgy storing hormone insulin form be lowered.