Sunday, September 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City, Food

Fattouch fades away

Posted by Chip / May 19, 2006

fattouch.jpg
Once upon a time, there was only one place to go to satisfy your appetite after a night out on Boul. St. Laurent. Fattouch introduced me, and many, many, other Montreal imports to the wonders of Shish Taouk (or chicken shwarma, for those from Toronto or New York). Before poutine, and even before 99-cent slice, the garlicky, pink radish & chicken filled pita was the choice fare after a night out on the Plateau’s main pubbing street. Oh, and the nights that promoted 2 for $5.00 were like music to a hungry student’s ears. Even my vegetarian friends would rejoice in eating a falaphel sandwich.

Alas, all good things come to an end. It had been at least 5 years since I’d eaten at Fattouch. (I couldn’t help getting slightly turned off by my friend discovering pieces of glass in his wrapped sandwich.) So I can’t say I’m surprised, but passing by the other day and noticing its closure made me fondly remember where I’d lost my Taouk virginity.

One would be tempted to chalk this up to the northward creeping gentrification of Boul. St. Laurent. But this conclusion was inevitable. The decrease in quality shish taouk coincided with the explosion of Lebanese restaurants in the city which provided ample competition – now there were at least 5 quality places to stumble into at 3 am on a Friday night on St. Laurent.

Besides, maybe I’ll like Italian ice cream. It is almost summer…

M-J / May 19, 2006 at 06:31 pm
Damn: That's where I lost my taouk virginity, too, in 1994. There are better lebanese joints on that block, but that was stil the first. That was still "Fat Touch."
OJ / May 22, 2006 at 12:09 pm
As a side note, I'd like to point out that if you're looking for possibly the best Shish Taouk in town, give Boustan a try. It's on Crescent just north of de Maissoneuve.
J Mac / May 22, 2006 at 04:01 pm
While there, be sure to enjoy the photo of an old and very-possibly-demented Pierre Trudeau with the owner of the place.
Rob / June 4, 2006 at 12:28 am
Fat Touch Meat Lesbians.
I will miss you.
Jon V / December 17, 2006 at 03:28 pm
I will miss Fattouch forever... so many late nights eating the trio shish taouk and chatting with mohammed and zied... Perhaps its best this way so it stays the same in my memory forever... Okay thats probably over-dramatized.
Sam / February 1, 2011 at 08:49 am
I lived on Clark and Duluth 1999-2000. I fondly remember this place as a great late night place. Being of Lebanese descent it always satisfied my need for mom's home cooking. I loved how it was known as fat touch.
saul / May 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm
I think I broke Fattouch. I'd come home every summer (to hell with the winters) and snorfle that shish taouk. So fucking delicious.

And then I stopped coming by! Obviously my 5 days there out of 365 was what kept their heads above water.

Need more parenting lesson. and fewer point stick.
Josie / September 5, 2014 at 09:44 pm
Very good post. I am dealing with some of these issues
as well..
Major / September 17, 2014 at 05:31 pm
wonderful submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of
this sector don't realize this. You should proceed your writing.

I am sure, you have a huge readers' base already!