Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C
City, Food

Straight to your plate-A marriage made in the kitchen

Posted by Hannah / May 1, 2006

FdM.jpg It's like Batman and Robin, or bagels and cream cheese. Not since KFC and Taco Bell combined their delicacies under a single roof has a union provided so much excitement in the restaurant world.

Before the patties and Jamaican goat curries of L Corridor graced the tiny, elongated space on St. Laurent, there was La Faim du Monde, another tiny space that fed the Plateau's workers well with creative veggie fare. Around 2000, it shuttered its doors and made the move to Duluth to a spot now occupied by Tay Do. In its new spot, La Faim du Monde, capitalized on the sky lights and cushion-y seating arrangements, but it never filled up the same way it did on St. Laurent.

Now La Faim du Monde (old review) is teaming up with another island favourite, Pushap, best known for its veggie Thali plates and tasty samosas, but a bit beyond the reach of most (Paré near Jean-Talon and Acadie). The pair will be occupying an ex-Pizza joint sub-basement below I (heart) Sushi and a few store front up from another veggie hot spot, Chu Chai.

Cheap and ultra-accessible eclectic/Indian vegetarian food, what more could you ask for?

J Mac / May 2, 2006 at 01:13 am
That may be the weirdest thing I've ever read. Also maybe the greatest.
Dave / May 2, 2006 at 07:48 am
WOW! I loved Faim du Monde, but assumed that it had just closed completely. I would make a trek out to their new location to check them out.
OJ / May 2, 2006 at 09:57 am
Man, like I needed another amazing restaurant choice around the corner. Sure it's cheap and tasty, but what about my wasteline?
OJ / May 2, 2006 at 09:59 am
I wonder if they will use the underground conveyor to get buckets of samosas from Pare to St. Denis?
J Mac / May 2, 2006 at 10:56 am
Of course they will. How else would they get them there? Man, the infrastructure costs for opening new Pushap locations must be insane. Except where there are existing underground samosa conveyors.
OJ / May 2, 2006 at 11:07 am
I wonder if I can get one of those conveyors to my place. You know, cut out the middle man. Then it's all samosa, all the time.
J Mac / May 5, 2006 at 12:36 pm
Look, if you're worried about your waistline in one comment, you can't then consider having a samosa conveyor routed into your house in another one. Unless the conveyor was powered by riding a bicycle. How do they power them?
Husan / February 4, 2015 at 02:34 am
So I'm pretty much in love with Under the Never Sky right now. It was uiuqne and awesome! I've been trying to find a book to compete with that love, but I haven't found one yet. If you mean book boy loves then I would have to say Etienne St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss. You can't beat the accent :)kmritchie02@gmail.com