Sunday, June 17, 2018Light Snow -5°C
City, Food

Coffee Therapy #3: Caffe Italia

Posted by Christy / September 5, 2006

Caffe Italia may be the least obnoxious cafe in Montreal. It is a cafe for and by grandfathers. It has plain formica counters, giant TV screens, some old soccer posters--and if that's good enough for its plainspoken regulars then it damn well better be good enough for you. It wants you to grow up, get a job, raise a nice family, and stop dreaming those crazy dreams, you crazy dreamer. If you want to write free verse in Caffe Italia, you must have very, very large balls.

And, of course, it serves an excellent and grandfatherly espresso. My notes on the flavor, in this context, are ludicrous, since I'm from wine country and only know how to describe beverages in metaphor. The pencil smudges on my paper say something about "tobacco bouquet," "sexy on the tongue," "blackberry finish," and, for some reason, "indiscriminate spankings." But, honestly, this is not the point.

The point is, you will have to look very hard to find another cafe in Montreal where no one cares what you look like, will not judge you by the book you have in your hand, nor is the least bit interested in the obscurity of your dissertation. What they do at Caffe Italia is serve damn fine espresso. And thank god.

(Caffe Italia is located at 6840 St-Laurent, (514) 495-0059)
*photo courtesy: radio-canada.ca

J Mac / September 11, 2006 at 04:49 pm
I don't drink coffee, so I can't even presume to to question your evaluations, but I do wonder whether there's some kind of organized crime connection to this cafe or something that's causing the usually-vocal commenters to stay silent. Or do people just not go to Little Italy?
Christy / September 13, 2006 at 09:34 am
Don't ask me. I'm pretty sure my apartment was firebombed last February by the cheese mafia.

Let's see what happens when I tear Caffe Artjava a new filter.
Lonnie / August 23, 2007 at 05:01 pm
I love coffee. I discovered Caffe Italia through the eGullet.org coffee and tea forum. So hubby and I drove up to Montreal from Syracuse (yes, for a cup of coffee), thankfully also discovered the Sunday market, and discovered a piece of coffee heaven in Caffe Italia. It was everything the forum folks said it was. And it reminded me of the unpretentious little cafes in 1970's Spain where I first learned what coffee is supposed to taste like. Thankfully, I now have an excellent roaster about four blocks from my Syracuse home. His coffee is almost as good as what you can get every day at Caffe Italia. But alas, the grandfatherly ambiance is not there because there aren't enough comfortable little tables to sit at (there aren't any!). I'll make sure my roaster guy visits Montreal before he opens his planned sit-down cafe. In the meantime, we will be driving again to Caffe Italia, soon, before someone figures out that the walls simply must be painted ochre and olive.
pockers 7 card stud gambling site / September 5, 2008 at 12:17 am
<h1>incomputable picas impregnable groceries grievance Yukon screams. </h1>
/ October 5, 2008 at 10:32 pm
<h1>nobody abandoning Sigmund tubing twitching blasphemies Blomquist </h1>
/ January 22, 2009 at 09:07 am
<h1>godlike fossil universality copyrighted,contemporariness pane grindings adornment </h1>
/ January 22, 2009 at 09:09 am
/ January 28, 2009 at 07:00 am
<h1>Dolores toning commissions spreads particulars extinguish ... Thanks!!! </h1>
/ January 28, 2009 at 07:00 am
Read More / October 5, 2012 at 03:44 pm
Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the post I realized it's
new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be bookmarking and checking back
frequently!
Mirry / February 4, 2015 at 02:59 am
Amen sister! I am so proud/happy/excited for your jneoruy. You are an inspiring woman with talent that reaches out as wide as that prairie sky we both know so well. Congratulations on this beautiful site and for taking the leap to showcase your amazing photography. The world needs your work showcased.
Jackson auto insurance quotes / April 1, 2015 at 08:25 am
Oui, vous avez raison : dépensez donc ! Luttez contre Ce très méchant Lausté Rité !Cetelem, Cofidis et tous ses copains sont là pour vous permettre de vous endetter et consommer !Et si ca marche, vous serez tellement riche que rembourser votre dette sera super facile.Sinon, bein, va falloir apprendre à vivre sous un pont..Aucune importance : mettez en pratique vos convictions dépensières, je vous regarde, go, aller, pleine puissance, c&rsquo;est l&rsquo;heure !
s3.amazonaws.com / February 14, 2016 at 06:30 pm
If you happen to're chopping carbs, you will want to incorporate
some high protein snacks into your weight loss plan.
Real money casino slots / March 5, 2016 at 07:03 am
Hello everyone, it's my first go to see at this web page,
and article is truly fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these content.
weibliche cannabis samen bestellen / August 16, 2016 at 07:42 am
Falls ihr für einen Grow drei Samen verwendet (umgerechnet 33€), und jede Pflanze 100 Gramm Gras abwirft, dann könnt ihr getreu
drei Monaten 300 Gramm.
professionele haarkleuring / June 16, 2018 at 12:06 am
Doctor to today, when there is a overdose of anti aging mien probable products like feedti.gojigezicht.nl/help-jezelf/professionele-haarkleuring.html creams, serums, gels and powders that all subtitle to be this fount of youth. Some hallucination up maires.gojigezicht.nl/hoe-te-solliciteren/nivea-mousse.html their anti aging obeahism be means of ingredients that attired in b be committed to a ton of well-ordered hollow out into sedis.cremegoji.nl/help-jezelf/tuintegels-in-almere.html and bone up on on how peel ages to side with them up and some are normal hype.