Tuesday, November 19, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Poutine in NYC

Posted by Jade / February 8, 2007

I saw this about ten minutes before I hopped a bus to go to Quebec for the Winter Carnival, and so promptly forgot to put anything up about it. I’m talking about the front-page National Post article of course, the one that muses at length if poutine has what it takes to brave Manhattan (in the form of trendy/expensive Quebecois-themed restaurant, The Inn LW12).

Poutine has a special place in my heart, since the first time I ever tried it was in a Canadian bar in the middle of Tokyo (so, yes, in some odd way sea urchin and poutine will always be inextricably linked in my mind since I got to savor both in the same week). The first bite of gravy-laden cheesiness left me a bit indecisive over poutine’s merits, but by the end of the bowl I was scraping gravy with my fingers. And Quebec poutine is even better than its Japanese doppelganger!

Anyway. So. Will poutine take Manhattan? Feelings appear mixed. But shoot, what with sushi being all haute cuisine, I have news for New Yorkers: the sea urchin didn’t hold a candle to the poutine. I have faith in Canadian food making inroads into the U.S. They are selling Labatt Blue for $9 a glass in Japan. That alone is enough to make one have faith in any and all things Canadian.

Jerrold / February 9, 2007 at 11:19 am
Mmmmmm. Poutine, here I come!
FX / February 9, 2007 at 12:47 pm
Heading to Frites Alors! right now...
Jade / February 10, 2007 at 09:07 pm
Frites Alors is alright but you can't beat la banquise. Was there last night, listening to Blondie on repeat, enjoying the exquisiteness that is bacon poutine. mmmmmm.
Patrick Donovan / February 11, 2007 at 11:20 am
You can already buy Poutine in Manhattan at an Israeli-run Belgian friterie called "Pommes Frites" in the East Village. Last time I was there, it seemed to be doing well. See: http://www.pommesfrites.ws/
jade / February 12, 2007 at 08:20 am
i've heard about pommes frites before--my little sis is living in new york and reported back to me. i'll be headed to new york next week and am hoping to go to both pommes and the inn lw 12--i'll report back on the difference and quality between the two manhattan poutines. thanks for the link patrick!
Jerrold / February 12, 2007 at 09:03 am
Thanks for taking this Torontonian to La Banquise, Jade. "La Galvaude" (chicken and peas) poutine was outstanding!
John Breese / February 22, 2007 at 01:19 pm
Oh God, I just ate lunch, but after reading through the menu of New York's 'Pommes Frites'I just got hungry all over again.

Worst part is, I had even thought of opening a chippy shop just like it here in Montreal, with a special emphasis on sauces. It would certainly have blown La Banquaise out of the water (especially since they got cheap on the cheese).
design_doll / March 2, 2007 at 02:05 am
OMG. I literally lived around the corner from Pommes Frites for 3 years in the East Village. It took A LOT of restrain... and it's not just the Poutine that rocks! There is soooo much to choose from there, it's crazy. I highly recommend hitting it after a night of bar-hopping in the E.V.!

As for The Inn LW12, I'm so glad you posted this! I will definitely check it out the next time I'm in town. Having lived in Montreal before NYC, I have a major weakness for amazing Poutine [when one can find it, bien sur!]. :-)
Trinitarian / March 25, 2008 at 12:13 pm
Jade, thanks for sharing (when you do so) your comparisons of Pommes Frites and Inn LW12's poutine! I wasn't exactly dyin' to try the Inn's poutine. I think they charge $13 for it! Ridiculous...if they actually do charge that much.
Wallpapers / April 3, 2016 at 01:18 am

Excellent web site you have here.. It's hard to find high quality
writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you!

Take care!!