Monday, May 27, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Au Pied de Cochon From the Take-Out Counter

Posted by MP / March 30, 2007

20070329_pdc_fries.jpg
The week that La Maison du rôti went up in flames, I bolted to La Paryse for a good take-out meal. But it was Monday and La Paryse was closed. Why don't I have a better list of restaurants with solid take-out?

So I schlepped home, opened a can of tomatoes and stewed.

Soon after that night I heard of a new concept take-out in Place Ville Marie based around fresh salads called Laitue & go. Mouth-watering visions of arugula, chicory and endives filled my head. I bolted there, but again was disappointed. No arugula. No chicory. No endives. If you're going to open a glorified salad bar shouldn't you have more than the usual lettuces and a token spinach leaf? God, ever heard of a mustard green?

20070329_pdc_logo.jpgThis made me think of Restaurant Au pied de cochon, where I once had the amazing PDC salad, which is named for the place. This thought was serendipitous because it led me to discover that Au pied de cochon was not only open, it was open to walk-in customers. It serves up the entire menu for take-out orders, including its salads. I went immediately.

Salads aside, Au pied de cochon has all makings of Montreal's best take-out. There's poutine, several different kinds of sausages, potpies, fish and chips, and, at this time of year, there are also sugar shack treats.

But since I was on a salad kick (maybe it was the weather) I ordered the blue cheese, apple and endive salad. This is a salad! It was $8.50, which is the same price Laitue & go was charging for its scrimpy fare.

20070329_pdc_endive.jpgIt's considered an appetizer on the restaurant menu, but it is massive. I don't think I could recreate it myself for under $10. It's jam-packed with apple and walnuts. A leafy greenness bound it together.

While I definitely got what I wanted, those endives may have been upstaged. The chunks of cheese were so plentiful that I started putting aside every other morsel, each about the size of a pink Pearl eraser. It was really rich and in the end about half of the salad’s cheese sat reserved in a Tupperware – about the equivalent of a 200-gram tranche you would pick up from your cheese monger.

At this point I was glad I went with the fries as a side order and not the cheese-laden poutine.

I dug into them. Very good. But not as winning as the blue cheese salad. For one, it didn't come with any mayonnaise. For $3.75 you think it might come with its own travel size jar of Hellmann's.

Another problem was the packaging. The fries themselves came in a brown bag. But it was in a series of paper bags that made getting to the fries an activity in anxiety. Where are the fries? WHERE ARE THE FRIES?

20070329_pdc_packagingt.jpgThe perceived weight continued to plummet as I removed another layer of thick brown paper. Finally, I reached deep-fried gold but I was perturbed. No one wants to play Russian dolls at dinner.

So maybe I should've ordered the poutine. It's legendary, with or without the foie gras.

Since I was so enamored with their salad, I tried another. There are six of them and they are all listed under Appetizers.

(Note: the restaurant web site does not supply a menu because it changes too frequently -- or so I was told. Suspicious of this, I responded by taking photos of the menu. The person who took my order returned too quickly so I felt the need to explain. "C'est pour la prochaine fois," I smiled. "Génial" was the reply, a little more deadpan than I would've hoped.)

20070329_pdc_beet.jpgThe beet and goat's cheese salad ($9) contained almost as much cheese as the previous salad. But it was the goat's cheese of an airier, lighter and fluffier kind, which made it slightly less rich. But since it's stacked with sweet yellow beets and served with only a small handful of baby arugula, it could still pass for dessert. Nice!

Best of all, when I washed everything down with some cheap Corsican wine, the bottle didn't cost twice as much as the food.

20070329_pdc_takeout.jpgWhen BYO is not an option, take-out is a great way to avoid the standard restaurant mark-ups on alcohol.

Restaurant Au pied de cochon; 536 Duluth E. (corner St-Hubert), 514-281-1114

DaveR514 / April 2, 2007 at 03:08 pm
Sweet write-up... Makes me want to reconsider my supper plans.
Marcus / April 23, 2007 at 08:03 pm
I could understand the pig when it talked to the sheep using barn oinks in <em>Babe</em> better than this.

So, Dmitry... really -- what you got on your mind?
matheus / December 3, 2007 at 09:31 am
je vais juste y courir a toute vitesse.......sans penser a autre chose.....ca résume mon opinion du pdc......comme dirait Martin picard, c est extraordinaire....
matheus / December 3, 2007 at 09:31 am
mathamore / December 3, 2007 at 09:33 am
Sandra / March 15, 2008 at 02:30 pm
I went to au Pied de Cochon this Wednesday and was pleasantly unsurprised. My friend had soupe gratinee a l'oignons which the wine totally covered the aroma of the onions which is the centerpiece in the soup.

Totally disappointed. The magret de canard I ordered which was way too salty. And the shitakee mushrooms that went a long were so badly cooked they were hard to eat.

Definitely a big disappointment. Oh and did I mention the service is very "stuck up waiters" style. The kind that acts like they are some renowned masters of fine dining.

Not worth it. Forget about all the good reviews.

Cause this is all about HYPE!
mathamore / August 23, 2008 at 08:18 am
hahaha sandra........they dont use wine in there soup....it pig stock and beer.....too much wine......you drink? maybee lollllllllllll
Marcus / January 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm
UPDATE: Sandra is right. I wrote this review in 2007 and since then a heavy increase in salt has been plaguing the tried and true dishes I previously enjoyed.

But however the food turns out, the service at PDC has never been less than commendable.
review / April 5, 2018 at 05:58 am
review
Everything wrote was very reasonable. But, what about this?
suppose you added a little information? I ain't suggesting your information isn't solid., however what if
you added a post title to maybe get a person's attention? I mean Au Pied de Cochon From the Take-Out Counter is a little boring.
You might glance at Yahoo's home page and note how they create article titles to grab viewers to open the links.
You might try adding a video or a related picture or two to get readers excited about what you've got
to say. In my opinion, it would make your posts a
little livelier. https://is.gd/kBhqbY-
shilajit ko kaise khaye / June 29, 2018 at 08:45 am
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ybaj42c9 - It
should therefore be hardly surprising that, to have total overall health, we must
manage the 3 (3) parts of ourselves - mind, body and spirit.
Taking care of your teeth can be an ongoing process and regular
check-ups and cleaning on the dentist minimizes any long lasting problems.

When we travel being a family we always get yourself a kitchenette within the hotel to ensure that we can make the
tastes our meals with food we know then have one meal out each day.
Marty / August 19, 2018 at 01:02 pm
https://v.gd/JBqVWv- - Prevent ill health - Modern medicine only targets treating us while we are
ill. Everybody needs many ways once and even though, however when your overall health is at risk then your stakes go higher.
So far, exercise and balanced diets are viewed as 2 of the key factors that lead
to strong and healthy body.
news / September 1, 2018 at 11:17 am
Keep seeking more such useful information; stay
informed, stay healthy. Yoga: this ancient system of breathing and stretching postures has become seen to provide relief
from the multiple chronic disorders that plague most seniors.
Exercise really helps to burn off energy in addition to fat and by
doing so, it will help prevent cardiovascular disease and build
chemicals within our bodies which can be incredibly important
to a healthy life.
news - http://feeds.feedburner.com/entertainment-helios7
wanmei-china.com / September 28, 2018 at 07:23 am
Hi there, every time i used to check blog posts here early in the
morning, for the reason that i enjoy to gain knowledge of more and more.
Continue / October 22, 2018 at 02:09 pm
Continue - https://penzu.com/p/bbf3b37f - Consume adequate level of nutrients, including fibers that reduce cholesterol levels, heart-healthy nuts, fishes, and low-fat dairy abundant in calcium.
These attacks are often related to physical symptoms like nausea,
vomiting, sensitivity to light, and sound. Headaches are routine
there are times when most of us are afflicted by minor to severe
headaches.
Forrest / October 26, 2018 at 02:37 am
https://is.gd/XvvRJ2- - Consume adequate
level of nutrients, including fibers that lower
cholesterol levels, heart-healthy nuts, fishes, and low-fat
dairy rich in calcium. These attacks are often connected with physical symptoms like nausea, vomiting, sensitivity
to light, and sound. So far, exercise and balanced diets are believed
as 2 of the main factors contributing to fit and strong
body.
golu dolls / March 15, 2019 at 04:39 am
Kanchipuram sarees / March 15, 2019 at 04:39 am
NICE POST
Kanchipuram sarees / March 15, 2019 at 04:40 am
Herbal Powder / March 15, 2019 at 04:40 am
online news / April 18, 2019 at 05:58 am
online news - https://v.gd/SxfyMj

While most information regarding your judgment debtor can help, it is best to focus only on investigating
their assets. If a folks are also going to be accommodated which should also be
noted. They enter the business enterprise world struggling to
write formally, in businesses in which such knowledge is a fundamental section of what they've
got to do.

Free Job Alerts, India - https://is.gd/6dfRsW
Free Job Alert / April 19, 2019 at 12:07 pm
https://v.gd/33VxTU - https://sketchfab.com/kathyjobs8

Can also benefit if you have a disability issue that makes avoiding difficult.
Team Obama does nearly all of its recruiting inside government, academic and non-profit
spheres when the president is most comfortable. One of the biggest benefits of Army CPOL is that it
enables you to sign up for US army jobs worldwide, and
if selected, you could be on target to using one from the most fantastic experiences of your life.

Free Job Alert - https://v.gd/fq0fqp