Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Love, Literature and Lattes at Lubu

Posted by Jade / March 19, 2007

20070319lubu-counter.jpgShhhhh. Don’t tell. I love living on the Plateau—really, it has never disappointed me or done me any wrong—but I’ve been having a small romance with Pie-IX. She’s not all that beautiful and she certainly doesn’t draw the crowds, but with a lovely farmer’s market, a spattering of art galleries and the residence of the delightful Lubu Livres-Cafés, little Pie-IX has won a significant part of my heart.

But before I wax too poetic, let’s get back to Lubu. Lubu is many things: a fair-trade coffeehouse, an art gallery, a Quebecoise bookstore, a hangout for the local dogs, and a community center. Mosaic-ed tables and a kids’ corner add to the “my house, only artsy-er!” feel of the coffeeshop. And let’s not forget the free wireless internet, the magazines for borrowing, and the big, overstuffed, grandma couches for day-long escape-from-winter snuggling sessions. In short, Lubu is the kind of warm, big-hearted coffeeshop I would work at if I could.

20070319lubu-dog.jpg
But I can't. You see, Lubu was founded with the mission to incorporate the deaf community with the hearing one. Noëmie Forget, Lubu’s general director and founder, noticed after taking a class in sign language that people with hearing disabilities often felt alienated, left-out somehow from mainstream society. So when Forget created Lubu, she made it a hiring rule that only deaf people could work there. The uniqueness of this mission has drawn a lot of attention and business to this little coffeeshop, but the secret to Lubu’s staying power has been its very real success in promoting communication and a sense of inclusiveness to everyone who steps through its doors.

In addition to the homey atmosphere and the nobility of purpose, Lubu has reasonable prices. A large fair-trade coffee costs only $1.75 and a sandwich sells for $5.15. A medium café au lait and a croissant will set you back just $4.45. This is no Caffé ArtJava, with coffee-making elevated to a fine art; this is home, where you can relax, read and remember just how incredible this city is, that a place like Lubu exists and thrives.

20070319lubu-storefront.jpg

Lubu, 4556 Rue Saint-Catherine Est, 514-253-5828

laura / March 19, 2007 at 03:45 pm
That sounds like a great place, thanks for reviewing it. In case anyone's wondering, Lubu is at 4556 Saint Catherine East.
Christopher DeWolf / March 19, 2007 at 08:52 pm
If I'm not mistaken, the name of this neighbourhood is actually Viauville, not Pie-IX.
Fairfax / March 20, 2007 at 09:12 am
Yeah, I've never heard anyone refer to a particular neighbourhood as Pie-IX before. That part of town is usually referred to as Hochelaga-Maisonneuve - I have friends who live a couple of blocks away from there and that's what they call it. But enough nitpicking, sounds like a neat place, thanks for the review!
Hugo / March 20, 2007 at 10:40 am
When I went to school there we called it Ti-Pie-IX.
Spawn / March 20, 2007 at 02:11 pm
Thank you for proving once again that The Plateau is and always will be a breeding ground for unwashed hipster dipshits who wear their scarves indoors and gravitate toward whatever happens to be just quirky enough to be noticed with no thought given to ACTUAL quality.
J Mac / March 20, 2007 at 02:15 pm
Man, I'm supposed to wear my scarf <i>indoors</i>? I got the memo about not washing, being a dipshit and gravitating toward quirkiness, but it didn't say anything about scarves. Thanks for the update.
jade / March 20, 2007 at 02:50 pm
about the neighborhood--thanks for the corrections--actually it is hochelaga, accessible very easily from pie ix metro. and, as far as quality goes in a coffeeshop, spawn has a point--i didn't talk about the quality of coffee at lubu. i was way too busy gawking at all the indoor non-scarf wearing people.
ränteutveckling bolån / September 15, 2014 at 02:40 am
You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to
be really something that I think I would never understand.
It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post,
I'll try to get the hang of it!
hump day pictures hump day / March 31, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Hi there, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, because this point in time i am reading
this enormous informative paragraph here at my home.
golu dolls / March 15, 2019 at 10:56 pm