Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Empanadas at La Chilenita

Posted by Kim / May 31, 2007

20070531_chilenita3.jpgChilean empanadas: food of the carb-gods. With three locations now, La Chilenita, one of the city's most renowned empanada-dealers, offers up a gorgeous and wide variety of these little stuffed pleasure-pockets.

For a very reasonable price ($2.50 each, $13/half dozen), you have yourself a great snack to eat on-the-go, or bring them home as a meal in itself. Fillings vary from the traditional beef, olives and egg to tofu, zucchini and mushrooms to spinach and ricotta cheese. The ingredients are consistently fresh-tasting, and the dough is thick and perfectly baked. With every empanada order comes little cups of a slightly spicy red sauce, made with tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Great for dipping, it adds nice moisture to the dry edges of the empanadas.

20070531_chilenita5.jpgLa Chilenta's most popular choice is La Chilena, the typical empanada made with beef, olives, egg and onions. For vegetarians, the consensus seems to be with La Napolitana, with artichokes, green olives, tomatoes and two kinds of cheese (goat and mozzarella).
20070531_chilenita6.jpg I enjoyed the best of both worlds, and La Chilena is indeed delicious; a subtle sweetness contrasted with the bite of black olives. However, I preferred the Végé-Champignons for the vegetarian option. The menu board claims a filling of mushrooms, zucchini and carrots, but to my surprise, corn had also found its way in! L'Italiana is also fun, with slices of hot chorizo and cheese.
20070531_chilenita1.jpgBurritos, sandwiches and enchiladas are also all for sale, but I suggest sticking to the empanadas. The one on Marie-Anne is take-out only, while the Napoléon location has a few tables and chairs if you want to take a quick break while eating. The restaurant on St-Laurent lets you linger a while longer. Whatever the location choice, just make sure you sample all the empanadas!
20070531_chilenita2.jpg
La Chilenita

152 Napoléon
514.286.6075

64 Marie-Anne Ouest
514.982.9212

5439 St-Laurent
514.277.3030

Deya Bautista / May 31, 2007 at 09:59 pm
La chilenita is simply the best!. I wasn't aware of the new locations though. THanks!
Fairfax / June 3, 2007 at 10:56 am
La Chilenita is yummy yummy, my favourite take-out in town for years now.

For the record, La Chilena also contains hard-boiled egg, which I've always found was one of its most distinctive features.

And the store on Marie-Anne is NOT take-out only... in fact, as far as I can remember they have more seating than the one on Napoleon (although I've only been to the Napoleon location 3 or 4 times).
kim / September 18, 2007 at 12:50 pm
Upon snacking on these heavenly pockets last night, I realized I didn't mention how much better empanadas are heated up!

Don't microwave them, but pop them in your toaster oven or oven for a bit - they become flaky and crisp and 100% better than they are cold.
mathamore / November 20, 2007 at 03:58 pm
j arrive de cet extraordinaire endroit sur la rue de napoléon.je suis rentrer un mardi midi et des lors j ai senti la bonne odeur de pate etj ai commender aussitot mon premier chelinita , et commander deux au poulet plus sauce piquante pour apporter.........un délice, vraiment super délicieux.......je recommande l endroit fortement
Emily / August 16, 2008 at 09:31 am
Thanks so much for this wonderful blogpost and photos. I lived just round the corner from the Napolean branch of this fantastic empanadas shop for 3 years and grew incredibly fond of my local's namesake <em>La Napolitana</em>.

Its been a long time since I left (in 2003) and I still think of this place, and so was very happy to find your comprehensive review of it. I remembered correctly that there were artichokes and olives in one, but I had forgotten those lovely little tubs of sauce! And their beautifully designed sign. So enticing!

Kim, they are nice heated up, and they will do this for you in store, if you are eating them right away.
Everyone must eat here!
Mauro / June 17, 2009 at 08:26 am
La Chilenita c est un bon endroit ou acheter une vrai Empanada, ailleurs tu peut voir des imitations faite par d autres personnes qui ne sont pas necesairement des sudamericains puis puis le gout texture etc c est pas le meme. par contre je n ai jamais compris pourquoi ils font affaire avec la bouffe mexicaine aussi. je vous conseils un bon completo XD
Sophia / August 31, 2009 at 04:48 pm
You CAN eat at the restaurant on Marie-Anne, I've spent ages there enjoying a variety of choices. I would also suggest DEFINITELY trying more than just the empanadas. The burritos, casadias, etc are all fantastic - the home made spicy sauce is great too. Don't limit yourself to just empanadas, as fantastic as they are.
Carlos Caballero / March 31, 2011 at 01:57 am
Definitiva mente que no e probado empanadas más ricas en ninguna parte del mundo como en Montreal y tú Lorena eres Linda Saludos escríbeme
Vicente / November 15, 2012 at 09:20 am
Les completos (Les hot-dogs Chiliens) et sandwichs de la Chilenita sont super bons! Les empanadas de La Chilenita sont également bonnes, parcontre j'ai récemment essayé les empanadas de la Boulangerie Napo à MTL Nord et elles sont classe à part de ce que j'ai essayé à Montréal: plus généreuses, juteuses (à mon humble avis, plus savoureuses aussi) et ce, pour à peu près le même prix. Le hic c'est ce n'est pas sur le Plateau...
Nick / July 25, 2013 at 07:32 am
They also have another website for the 64 Marie-Anne Ouest location. http://www.lachilenitamtl.com/ The owner is really nice and it is well worth a try! Love that they do delivery too!
Clarice / September 9, 2014 at 07:12 pm
It's remarkable to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues concerning this post,
while I am also zealous of getting experience.
cloud hosting / November 3, 2014 at 09:39 pm
Thiis paragraph is truly a pleasant one it helps new net people,
who are wishing for blogging.
Shayne / November 22, 2014 at 04:45 pm
None of the reviews referred to any Nuwave Oven scam.
These testimonies can be read through Nuwave Oven reviews.
This sort of mitts also has a rubbery grip well features and are usually
rated 500F.
chocolate house / November 28, 2014 at 06:02 pm
Usually I don't learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this
write-up very forced me to check out and do so!

Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice article.
harbin travel / January 30, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Right here is the perfect website for anyone who wishes to understand this topic.
You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a subject which has been discussed for many years.
Excellent stuff, just wonderful!
Chiio / February 4, 2015 at 03:14 am
This is a great example of mxinig goals, custom reporting and custom segments to gain deeper insights in your data. I do think that comparing visitors landing on a generic home page to visitors landing on a more specific category or product page may be apples to oranges, due to home pages typically having lower per visit values simply because of less qualified traffic. This data should help shape your hypothesis, but I would think A/B testing would be needed to truly validate the results.
Rowereko.tumblr.com / February 7, 2015 at 07:18 pm
If you are desperately unhappy in your life, your marriage, your job, there is a
projective driver who will subconsciously drift to that energy and fulfill your deadly
wishes. Just for the very fact that gas has exhaust it loses in this category.
However one thing should be taken into consideration that this type
of motor must not be used with the machines that contain inflammable and corrosive gas.
For example, suppose at normal voltage the DC
input to the T1 is about 9 volts, an increase by 25% of the AC mains
would make the DC potential to increase proportionately to about 11.
If we were to simply touch the electrode to the work piece the electric circuit would complete itself which would mean that current would start to flow across the path
as depicted by the wires. When traveling, good sources of
recommendations are the local police, motel clerks, or even waiters.
Bandar bola Sbobet / February 8, 2015 at 07:18 pm
fountainhead aforesaid buddy, real intimately. It's honor to show your
argument
glock magazine base plate / March 4, 2015 at 06:37 pm
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it,
you happen to be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back down the road.
I want to encourage yourself to continue your great writing, have a nice evening!
rear slide plate glock / March 5, 2015 at 06:09 pm
Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the challenges.
It was definitely informative. Your website
is very useful. Thank you for sharing!
devon8080711139.wordpress.com / April 17, 2015 at 03:22 am
howdy delighted to be linked Here. A trivial stimulation from me, things that
you mentioned is true, only sometimes there are more or less extraneous factors
that as well mustiness be well thought out.

Though these factors leave greatly regard the closing consequence.

My base opinion
nwfitnesscommunity.com / April 21, 2015 at 08:55 pm
Well to have sex that anybody arrange a pile of bear on on football as I do, big problem pair!
platinum weddings and events hartville / May 25, 2015 at 05:55 am
The larger the diamond greater expensive it can be.
Although it may be the custom too supply an entire life band ring time following youyr wedding itself, maybe about the first,
tenth or any other anniversary, most brides are pleased to take delvery of one
at any time. Because the diamonds are simply just set along
the face portion from the ring, half style diamond
eternity rings are undeniably easier for making and much
more affordable than their full style counterparts.
purchased quality products / February 26, 2016 at 10:04 am
I love reading an article that will make people think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!
posizionamento google palermo / August 7, 2018 at 01:01 am
Very rapidly this web page will be famous among
all blogging and site-building users, due to it's pleasant content
golu dolls / March 11, 2019 at 02:35 am