Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Kam Do: Lunch in Ville St-Laurent

Posted by Kim / May 23, 2007

20070523kamdo4.jpg You’re in Ville-St-Laurent. It’s lunchtime. You’re hungry. Let me tell you, your options (if tasty food is one of your criteria) are slim. Let me suggest Kam Do as the solution to this problem.

Kam Do offers you the standard “Asian” fare – a variety of noodle and rice dishes prepared in Cantonese Thai and Szechwan styles, minus the MSG overdose that too often accompanies such food. The vegetables are always fresh and crispy, the dishes served steaming hot, and everything perfectly delicious.

The lunch deals are your best option; for $7 - $9, you get a choice of soup, entrée and a main. The hot and sour soup is the best I’ve had in the city and well worth the trip to St-Laurent - delicate pieces of tofu and shitake mushrooms suspended in a spicy, thick broth.
20070523kamdo1.jpg Hunan dumplings or a fried spring roll follow the soup. The spring roll is not particularly special, but St-Laurent habitants swear by the dumplings, smothered with a sweet, hot peanut sauce.
20070523kamdo2.jpg The usual order my co-diner and I make is General Tao and pepper chicken with crispy spinach. However, given the ever-changing lunch menu, we decided to be adventurous and ordered the sweet and sour shrimp and vegetables, as well as the fried noodles with beef and chicken.
20070523kamdo3.jpgThe noodles were a bit salty, and the sweet and sour shrimp a bit sweet. Delicious and satisfying nonetheless, however..
Is Kam Do worth the trip out? Debatable, unless if you’re a hot and sour soup or General Tao addict. But, if you find yourself in the area, it’s the place to eat. Your choices are varied (sushi to Pad Thai to Mongolian pot dishes) , the portions are large, the food is tasty and not MSG-ridden, and the prices are cheap. Plus, delivery is free, if you’re a St-Laurent inhabitant.
20070523kamdo5.jpg

Kam Do
971 Decarie, Ville St-Laurent
514.332.2988

Chris / May 24, 2007 at 11:00 am
I used to live in VSL near Kam Do (That's what happens when you look for an apartment while living in New Brunswick, never having been to Montreal) and can more than vouch for their food. In fact, I believe it was the first place I ever ate in Montreal.

I disagree with what you said about places to eat there being slim. The commercial stretch of Decarie between Du College and Cote-Vertu has all kinds of different resturants and many of them are quite good.
Sylvie / May 25, 2007 at 01:34 pm
I always enjoy your reviews. I think they are fresh and unpretentious. I will look this place up, since I live in Laval. Always looking for a cheap place to eat with friends and I hate to go downtown.
Shirley / December 31, 2007 at 06:35 pm
Just to add: Its a cash only restarurant
Lana / February 21, 2008 at 10:50 am
My boyfriend took me there when I first started going to college (I'm at Vanier, so it's a short walk for the excellent food!), and we've been going ever since. Even now that our schedules are hectic, we put aside an hour every week to go and enjoy lunch there. I absolutely adore their fried rice, and the fried pork dumplings are delicious! The service is great, totally worth it if you're in the area!
Kev / March 18, 2008 at 03:39 pm
They also make great sushi.
Jeff / July 23, 2008 at 07:54 pm
A non descript restaurant in a very ordinary neighbourhood - but great food, seldom equalled anywhere and the prices are very reasonable
Zane / October 1, 2008 at 06:32 pm
Kam Do is the Shit!!!

I swear amazing food! Ask for tripled fried rice (not on menu), number 23, and general tao!!! That's enough for a one man feast! or If you dont eat as much 3 people... But its amazing!
Alberto / October 1, 2008 at 09:44 pm
If you don't like it you're crazy bro
Haaris / October 1, 2008 at 09:46 pm
Once we saw people getting married there... Need I say more?

Also I put spices on the rice for a bet and I started to cry.

Also they never give you enough water or napkins
Oliva / June 6, 2014 at 03:32 pm
Remember a few important safety tips as well when chatting
online, especially with the intimacy of a webcam. Ensure your computer security software is a full-blown security program that comes complete with antivirus,
anti-spyware and a firewall to protect your system. When you communicate with a
woman online you should try to find out more details about her.
Wedneday / March 31, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Amazing! Its genuinely amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea
concerning from this piece of writing.
https://goo.gl/kSngsX / December 19, 2016 at 08:35 am
Hi there friends, its impressive post regarding educationand
entirely explained, keep it up all the time.
golu dolls / March 11, 2019 at 07:00 am