Sunday, September 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C

The Beauty's Breakfast

Posted by Kim / May 8, 2007

20070508_beautys3.jpgHow many things in life are as satisfying as a late breakfast on a sunny spring morning? I suppose that all depends on where you’re eating. If the breakfast is at Beauty’s on Mont-Royal, I’m willing to bet that’s about as satisfying as it gets.

Beauty’s is rife with history, having found its spot way back in 1942, and then hanging on tightly. It has a retro 50’s décor, with stainless steel walls, white diner tables and blue vinyl benches. The original owner, Hymie Sckolnick, still manages the restaurant, and is even the one to poll the long Saturday and Sunday lines, looking for that elusive group of four who are willing to sit at the counter.
20070508_beautys5.jpg I start with some (good) coffee while I read through the menu. The Jewish influence is clear – latkes, lox and bagels are all popular menu items. However, I do not go out for breakfast in order to eat light! I avoid ordering the Mish-Mash omelet, a egg-concoction that also contains peppers, hotdogs and smoked meat, and instead opt for the Beauty’s Basic: two eggs, choice of meat (ham please!) and home fries.
20070508_beautys4.jpg My co-diners order the Super, which adds a whopping two pancakes, bacon and sausage to their meal. The eggs are nicely done, not fried in ancient grease, but fresh-tasting. While the pancakes are only of standard fare, I’m fond of the home fries, perfectly cooked and seasoned. Bagels take the place of the usual toast, a delightful Jewish touch and refreshing change.
20070508_beautys2.jpg Equally refreshing are the smoothies offered. Apple Pie (ice cream and apple juice) interested me, but finally settled on Beauty’s Bleu (blueberry, strawberry and raspberry). Though the meal can get expensive (about $13/person), the food is intoxicatingly tasty, the atmosphere is fun and relaxed, and the coffee refills are frequent and free.

Beauty’s
93, ave. du Mont-Royal Ouest
514.849.8883

Sandra / May 8, 2007 at 07:32 pm
Good review -- thanks Kim! I'll have to drop by Beauty's for that tasty breakfast.
Linda Muncey / May 9, 2007 at 08:40 am
Hi Kim,

Next time Uncle Terry and I are in Montreal you will have to take us there for a big breakfast. Good work!!

Auntie Linda
Richard Owen / May 10, 2007 at 03:48 am
Sat and Sunday mornings have huge lines, so be prepared.
Sharleen / May 10, 2007 at 06:52 am
Great review! I'll be sure to try this place out as soon as I can. I enjoy reading these reviews from Kim; she makes me want to visit these places and try the food she's eaten.
Sharleen
Yolaine / July 21, 2007 at 02:11 am
I'm not crazy about Beauty's ... I find the food a bit pricey, and the atmosphere not quite grungy enough for a diner. For a cheaper and equally tasty greasy breakfast in Montreal, I'd take Moe's (Casse-Croute du Coin) or Cosmo's any day, and for something fancier and pricier in the same neighborhood, I'd rather head to l'Avenue.
Alisa / July 25, 2007 at 04:15 am
I'm with Yolaine. I lived around the corner from Beauty's for two years and wanted to love it... I really did. But it's highly overrated and overpriced for what it is, so-so diner food. Just about everything on the menu can be done better somewhere else. Lox on a bagel? You're better off with a fresh bagel at a St-Viateur cafe. Old-school diner atmosphere? Moe's, the best diner in town (with food that is equally if not more delicious) is the place to go or one of the many Plateau diners. The only thing you're buying at Beauty's is its cachet, and it's so not worth the $20 (tax & tip included) I usually paid for breakfast there.
wako zako / October 18, 2008 at 07:52 pm
You alisa and yolaine suck. Iv been going to beauty's since I was 2 and I have always loved it so u can suck my B&##$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Heather Ann / November 6, 2008 at 01:16 pm
Beauty's is the best!
I am coming home (to Montreal) soon and am hoping the Blinzes are as good as ever!
Scott / November 16, 2008 at 03:55 pm
Hey Alisa you're dumb. The bagels at Beauty's are delivered fresh from St. Viateur's each morning.
Plus what the hell did you spend 20$ on? It's 10$ for pancakes, hashbrowns, a bagel, 2 eggs, bacon, sausage and coffee.
How could you possibly eat MORE than that?
J / February 16, 2009 at 10:00 am
I went there with my girl friend one saturday morning, there was a clueless old man sitting at the door, and his son, the owner. I ordered a 9$ piece of french toast, with sirup that had more water than maple in it, terrible, I ordered the eggs, disgusting, I ordered pancakes, and they crumbled in my fork, I asked for my money back for the pancakes...the waitress, who couldn't have more than a 40 IQ walked to the owner...the owner and the extemely old man, looked at us together, with disgust, and shook their heads...waitress comes back, and says, "the pancakes are good, you can't get your money back" disgusting attitude, disgusting service, and the worst breakfast I've had in over a decade. These guys won't get away with this much longer. I left there disgusted, paying 50$ for the worst breakfast I've EVER eaten,

Everyone that goes there, hasn't got a clue, they're all over 60 and they've never tasted a good breakfast in their lives.

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

These guys are crooks, hoping they're old reputation sticks...

Save your time and money, everyone that enters there are tourists.

wako zacko / February 23, 2009 at 05:28 pm
Ok Im with the other wako zako. J, U just cant get that taste of cunt out of your mouth from that man whore you swallowed last night thats why u said the food tasted auful. The food there is great, just because your a little dipshit and doesnt no a good breakfast other that licking the egg mc muffin crumbs of a fat hooker, doesnt mean that its bad. I have been going there since I was a baby and it is amazing. besides you, everyone thinks it is great. thats right, 5,999,999,999 of the 6,000,000,000 people in the world love it. Well maybe all of them do and your just a little piece of hairy vagina that got cut out of you mom cuz of too much meaningless sex.
zachary / March 16, 2009 at 08:11 pm
Iv been going to Beauties since I was born. I hav always ordered the same thing (2 scrambled eggs with 2 bacon, 2 sausage and whole wheat toast. I love this place!!
Kristinamg / May 15, 2013 at 06:56 am
Love beauty's!!!! The portion is big for 10$ and I'd go there any day over chez Cora or those other overrated breakfast places. I'm going Saturday and I CAN'T WAIT!!!
best wallpapers / April 3, 2016 at 12:52 am

Hello mates, how is all, and what you want to say regarding this
article, in my view its genuinely awesome for me.
http://europetraditions.eu / May 29, 2016 at 01:57 pm
I think that is one of the most significant information for me.
And i'm happy studying your article. But wanna remark on some common things, The web site taste is perfect, the
articles is in reality excellent : D. Just right process,
cheers
Cole / November 5, 2016 at 08:33 pm
Hi there, after reading this remarkable post i am as well delighted to share my experience here with colleagues.
golu dolls / March 12, 2019 at 05:00 am