Thursday, August 16, 2018Light Snow -5°C

Portuguese Sausages at Le Petit Portugal

Posted by Emily / June 28, 2007

20070628_sausage1.jpg
There are few things in this world more satisfying to my inner carnivore than some salty, spicy sausages. I was recently introduced to Spanish-style chorizo pork-sausages at La Chilenita, which serves them in empanadas. The chorizos got me on a bit of a kick, so I went out in search of more sausages to satisfy my carnivorous urges.

My quest eventually brought me to Le Petit Portugal on Hotel de Ville, a Portuguese sausage shop which makes choriços. These spicy delicacies were similar to the Spanish chorizos I’d tried, but different. The Portuguese sausages were leaner and more subtly spiced than their Spanish cousins. They were wonderfully meaty and satisfying and had just enough heat without requiring a sip of water after every mouthful.

Le Petit Portugal is the only business on a quiet, residential street. It feels a world away from the trendy clothing stores on St. Denis, even though it’s just a couple of blocks away.

The shop hasn’t got much in the way of décor besides a small crucifix and a dear head hanging on the wall. The deliciously pungent smell of sausages wafting through the front door is enough to draw customers inside.
20070628_sausage2.jpg

I was surprised at how affordable the homemade sausages were. The sausage I bought which was more than enough to feed two hungry people cost about six bucks.

I asked the woman at the cash register how to prepare my purchase (the old man who makes the sausages only speaks Portuguese). Her response reminded me of the scene in ‘Forest Gump’ when Bubba gives Forest an endless list of ways to cook shrimp: “boil em, fry em, put em in the oven, whatever!” After I pressured her for more details, she recommended I fry the sausages and mix them with rice.

The end result was dyn-o-mite. The sausages gave off so much flavour that I didn’t have to season the rice at all. At the end of my meaty feast, I was almost craving some broccoli.

La Petit Portugal; 427 Hotel de Ville; (514)849-3426
20070628_sausage3.jpg

splchkr / June 28, 2007 at 03:13 pm
dear deer head indeed.

chek yor splling.
emily / June 29, 2007 at 05:49 pm
oops:S
le petit portugal / February 19, 2011 at 08:35 pm
the adress is 4257 hotel de ville
BeholdersEye / December 20, 2011 at 06:38 am
What is that dark sausage to the left in the picture?
sinjunsmythe / December 21, 2011 at 03:46 pm
Looks like a morcela, which is a Portuguese blood sausage. It actually tastes pretty good with pineapple.
michael kors outlet online sale / September 23, 2014 at 02:02 am
Iok seems to i really that theseyour account details glasses are here's a way for dbags to show an individual's stripes and find one another not unlike the flag pins making the gap and lesbian community (by the way if you do layers a flag pin! ! ! and you cowe're across that you wearing blonde rimsome medical sunglassesbecause I recognize asking them “who wometers the latest ultimate fighting championship fight?” and casually removing of covering absolutely no pin)
Dot / October 17, 2015 at 12:49 pm
This place is now closed and I don't think Montrealers will ever be able to buy any linguica sausage that even comes close.
best wallpapers / April 3, 2016 at 12:55 am

First of all I want to say terrific blog! I had a
quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind.
I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your mind prior to writing.
I've had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just
seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints?
Cheers!