Saturday, September 20, 2014Partly Cloudy 9°C

Armenian Pizza at Arouch

Posted by Kim / September 11, 2007

20070910_arouch1.jpgThis is the first part of a two-part write-up on my culinary adventures in that far-off land known as Laval. But don’t let the distance dissuade you from making the journey; the food that I got to sample there rivals most of the meals I’ve been served all over the island of Montreal.

The first food stop was Arouch, a small but modern building right off the busy Saint-Martin Ouest. Arouch dishes out Armenian pizza, also known as Armenian lahmajoun. What is exactly Armenian pizza? Pretty much the tastiest and most satisfying snack food I’ve had the pleasure of eating.

A meat topping consisting of minced beef, chopped onions, parsley and spices is spread on top of very thin circles of dough. These little pita-thin pizzas are then baked, the crust nice and crispy at the edges, malleable and soft in the middle. 20070910_arouch3.jpgAfter squeezing some fresh lemon over the pizza, fold or roll it and these warm and slightly spicy pizzas are ready for eating. Made with what must be very lean beef, these are neither oily nor heavy, and with the thin crust, they make for a very light snack.

For about $10, you can bring home a box of twelve pizzas, and I’ve been shown a variety of ways to enjoy them. I like them straight out of the fridge, nice and cool, but they are also great toasted up and rolled around some halved pickles or tomato pieces, and even dipped in plain yogurt (to curb the spice).
20070910_arouch5.jpg

20070910_arouch4.jpg
Though Arouch’s main focus is on these pizzas, a Greek variation of feta and spinach is available, as well as a za’atar (thyme and sesame) and cheese variations. If a full course meal is more what you’re after, Arouch also sells salads, fantastic, unripened cheeses like halloumi, baladi, and akawi - deserving an article all their own! - and drinks (including a salty one that’s basically just yogurt, water, and salt). There are even piles of pastries to choose from for dessert, so all grounds are covered.
20070910_arouch6.jpg
Make the trip for the pizza, all the rest is just bonus. If Laval is too far for you to travel to, there’s also an Arouch located on Rue de Liege Ouest. But what are a few kilometers for such refreshingly different, unique and delicious food?

Boulangerie Arouch

3467 Blvd. Saint -Martin Ouest (Laval)
450-686-1092

917 Rue de Liege Ouest (Montreal)
514-270-1092

Duan / September 11, 2007 at 01:42 pm
Kim, you are by far one of my favourite bloggers. I plan to visit most of the restaurants that you have recommended.
Julie D. / September 11, 2007 at 06:40 pm
This reminds me that I did have armenian pizza at my workplace's Diversity Day several years ago, and I LOVED it!

There's a baby that'll pop out of me in the next few days, but afterwards I think I'll definitely make the trip to get some of that good stuff you described!
Cleo / September 11, 2007 at 10:37 pm
Mmmmmmmm....! Sounds so yummy that my tummy is growling right now as I type! Laval is too far for me, without a car, so I'd like to try the other Arouche. Only problem is I don't know where rue de Liege is; can you tell me please? Thanks Kim - I love reading your reviews! You're the best!!

Duan / September 11, 2007 at 11:23 pm
Cleo, here is a link for the Arouche in Montreal.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&;q=917+Rue+de+Liege+Ouest&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&z=16&iwloc=addr&om=1+Ouest&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=addr&amp;om=1&amp;ll=45.537678,-73.639126&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
Soli / September 16, 2007 at 09:16 am
These were a staple for me growing up. Fast, easy, cheap, and tasty. I like theme with rolled with thinly sliced<a href="http://www.google.ca/search?q=Miktee+pickles&;ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a"> Miktee, or wild cucumber pickles</a>.
Soli / September 16, 2007 at 09:22 am
oops... *them rolled with thinly sliced...

Arouch also distributes daily to various grocery stores (like PA on Parc)- available the half douzen. Look in the refrigerated ethic section; toast folded in quarters in your toaster or lay flat in a toaster oven.
Chris / October 5, 2007 at 08:28 am
After having read your post and realising that I don't work all that far from here, I decided to try this place for lunch yesterday....
I must say that I was quite impressed. the food's good and CHEAP! I walked out with two pizzas and a drink for 5$ tax in! I tried the Armenian meat pizza and the Lebanese herb pizza. real nice.
kim / October 5, 2007 at 09:50 am
So happy to hear that, Chris!

Definitely puts the *shudddder* McDonald's lunch in perspective.
nadine assaker / April 26, 2008 at 07:19 pm
very nice pictures
good luck arouch
noredine arouch / May 16, 2008 at 05:40 pm
i'm arouch of morocco i love this site wep because is the same name of my famili's name.thunk you
pezliz / June 11, 2008 at 02:02 pm
They sell Arouch lamajoun at the National grocery store on Sherbrooke in Westmount :)
Kosta / September 11, 2008 at 12:56 pm
Arouch has the best Lahmajouns I have ever tasted.... my wife used to live two blocks away from Arouch on Liege. I would by them a dozen at a time and bring them back home to the States with me.. can't wait to go back
hakop / October 25, 2008 at 01:40 am
best Armenian pizza i have ever tasted brings back the flavors from the mother land very satisfied good job guys i always go there to buy my dozens keep up the good work.
chico / August 22, 2009 at 06:26 am
Isn't amazing how all the best,tastiest
and most nutritious food was brought by
immigrants which woke up the meat and potato eating locals on how to eat.
If it weren't for the immigrants these
white bread countries would have died of boredom. Respect the foreigners.
sandra / October 12, 2009 at 12:40 am
ktir tayib , bas ba3id ma de2to

marc / October 19, 2009 at 10:14 pm
great taste but i find it very greasy
and fattening.
Me / April 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm
They have now 4 stores ( Laval - Liege - Maisonneuve and Cote-des-neiges !) !!! Because I study in McGill, I just go to the one on Maisonneuve which is one metro station far only =) when compared with the stupid choices we have on campus, Armenian pizzas are so good and really cheap !!! Haha they are the best alternative I have from Subway !!
Pizza coupon / May 2, 2011 at 02:32 am
Damn it, I was just in Laval, I wish I read this a few weeks ago. It looks like a pretty bad ass pizza. I'm going to have to try and make something like that at home. Ever since I started watching Epic meal time I have been eating fast food pizzas!
D Carter / February 19, 2012 at 05:41 pm
Wow nice article makes me want to try Armenian Pizza. I have never had it and this sounds pretty good.
Certik / March 28, 2013 at 10:52 pm
It's not quite as greasy or fattening as you make it sounds like !
Of course it is heavy enough for a lunch but it is very tasteful and flavored compared to all the other Subways and Quiznoz and cie where you don't even recognize the taste of meat or anything !!
I absolutely LOVE Arouch sandwiches !! Could eat them for any entire week because they have now also so many different choices =D very unique and addictive !
I am from McGill also and I go to the one in Concordia =)) definitely worths the one metro-station travel eh !!