Monday, May 27, 2019Light Snow -5°C

60+ Pizzas @ Il Focolaio

Posted by Kim / December 10, 2007

20071210_foco6.jpgWhen in search for a quick and affordable meal downtown, I do have my top 10 downtown eats, and I visit them pretty frequently. But this past week, I was looking to try something new, so I tried out the pizza at Il Focolaio in Phillips-Square. It won’t make it onto my top 10 list, but If I worked downtown and had to constantly eat out, this would definitely be on the list of options, as it was definitely a fast, easy and mostly tasty way to spend $11.

With about sixty variations on the pizza pie, you’ll likely spend more time reading the menu than waiting for your food. There are lots of the usual pizza pies – Hawaiian, vegetarian, all-dressed, etc. But there were also many novel ones, including a blue cheese Hawaiian, one with snails and another with salmon. For experimentation’s sake, we ordered two rather run-of-the-mill pies, and two that seemed to test the borders of pizza-making a little more.

20071210_foco7.jpgWe were served within eight minutes of ordering (so really, a great option for downtown lunching). Baked in a wood-burning oven at the back of the restaurant, these pizzas are prepared on a thin crust that’s a little burnt around the edges and have the perfect compromise between the crispy crust and the doughy crust. The “normal” pizzas were a bit lackluster. The vegetarian was piled high with grilled vegetables, but they seemed a little waterlogged to me, and there wasn’t enough cheese or sauce on the pie to strike a perfect balance with all those toppings. The pepperoni with fresh tomatoes and zucchini was simply…nice. A good combo between the saltiness of the meat and the fresh tomatoes, and enough cheese to go around. The sauce was used sparingly, but it’s not a fantastic sauce, so it’s just as well.
20071210_foco1.jpgMore interesting was the blue cheese pizza, a pizza with slice of Capocolli and mushrooms, covered with mozzarella and blue cheese. The pizza could’ve used a bit more blue cheese, but on a whole, it was an fun taste combo and I appreciated the novelty. My favourite pizza of the evening as “La Bomba,” a pie covered with a paste of hot peppers, carrots, mushrooms, artichokes, eggplants and olives, then topped with cheese and black olives. It was decently spicy, and the combo of flavours in the paste matched the cheese.

20071210_foco5.jpgThe pizzas at Il Focolaio, for me, aren’t the best the city has to offer. However, they do their pizza just fine, and all the variations they offer makes the place a worthwhile place to go with a group of friends. It’s a great lunch place, and for the money, I think it’s pretty much on par with the other restos in the area.

Il Focolaio Pizza
1223 Square-Phillips
514.879.1045

1571435 / June 20, 2011 at 02:25 pm
What a lovely day for a 1571435! SCK was here
http://sapleuhisriari.exteen.com/ / May 22, 2013 at 04:49 pm
As numbers of cash advance agencies give Poor Credit Home Loans Texass that run between $100 to $500, while
other companies Poor Credit Home Loans Texas you nearly
$1, 500. Now let me ask you a question; How much of your time by taking these offers.
Katrice / May 23, 2013 at 01:28 pm
What a breakdown in communication, there's nothing wrong with being polite.
achat maison perpignan avec piscine / June 30, 2014 at 04:14 am

?Voici un regard la maison en achat maison neuve perpignan -Combien de temps construction d'îles artificielles différent
pour le tout en humidifier développer et d'améliorer l'apprentissage langue anglaise

vente maison massilia perpignan

maison guilhot perpignan

maison funeraire perpignan

vente maison contemporaine perpignan

maison mikit perpignan
Glenna / July 17, 2014 at 07:54 pm
You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I
would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me.
I am looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get
the hang of it!
connect.lulu.com / March 1, 2016 at 09:07 pm
For flaunting that perfects number of teeth, you ought to visit his dentist every six
months to obtain teeth cleaned and scaled. Making them really attractive requires some easy comprise tricks to ensure you will make the eyes appear
big. Beauty tips before sleeping Exposure to cigarette significantly increases skin wrinkles and dryness.

They will go colorful and funky while not having to attract
comments like. These smell wonderful and they are impregnated with scented
transparent powder.
wallpapers iphone se / April 3, 2016 at 02:00 am

Hi, after reading this awesome piece of writing i am
also cheerful to share my experience here with friends.
BennettQMaud / June 21, 2016 at 08:12 am
Really good article. I am experiencing a number of these issues also..
golu dolls / February 26, 2019 at 11:54 pm