Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Democracy in Action at Java U

Posted by Emily / January 11, 2008

20080108_etranger2.jpg
Next to the cash register at the new branch of Java U on Sherbrooke, there are two mugs; one labeled “Clinton”, the other, “Obama.” As the waitress handed me my biscotti, I asked her the meaning of the mugs. She said they were for tips, so customers could “vote” for one candidate or another. I asked who was winning.

Clinton. That would have put me off my biscotti, if that biscotti hadn’t been so yummy.

It looked just like the biscotti at Second Cup, with one end dipped in milk chocolate and the other in white chocolate. But it tasted much moister and fresher than Second Cup’s, and it had a stronger almond flavor. I barely needed to dip it in anything.

The biscotti isn’t the only difference between Java U and Second Cup. I’ve always thought of Second Cup as the kind of place where you can spend hours reading and munching on snacks in big cushy chairs without being disturbed (although there are huge variations between branches). Java U seems more conducive to a quick, restorative break at the end of a long day. In contrast to Second Cup’s living-room furniture, Java U has a more modern aesthetic, with comfy but boxy benches and no big cushy chairs.

20080108_etranger5.jpg
The music, on the other hand, at least on the night of my first visit, was decidedly retro. My friend and I had quite a nice time sipping our hot drinks and happily humming along to “Rico Suave.”

As fun as my flashback to ’91 was, I must say that the real draw to Java U was the promise of dessert. According to my friend, Java U gets its cakes and pies from the same magical factory of pleasure that makes the desserts found at Calories. After a pleasant dinner at Café L’Etranger (review coming soon) my dining buddy found herself in need of some Reese’s Pieces cake, and was kind enough to offer me a few bites.

Is it me or has this cake gotten better? The last time I tried it, I found it much too sweet and not nearly peanut buttery enough. This time, the layer of peanut butter perfectly offset the sweetness from the middle of the cake. And with the intense chocolate cookie crust, it was like eating an Oreo dipped in peanut butter… hm, that’s not a bad idea.

I’ll definitely be heading back to Java U sometime in the near future. Not only do I need to sample more of the desserts, I also have to vote in the presidential mug poll.
20080108_etranger4.jpg

Java U
Corner of Sherbrooke and Union

djou / January 11, 2008 at 08:33 am
that biscotti sounds intriguing... too bad i can't eat chocolate...
emily / January 11, 2008 at 10:08 am
solution: just eat the white chocolate part;).
Melanie / January 11, 2008 at 10:09 pm
I also prefer Java U to Second Cup. Sometimes I study at Second Cup out of convenience, but there are too many alternatives with just-as-comfy chairs to bother with them anymore. Although there is no peanut butter cake, I have taken to studying at the Starbucks at the Eaton Center these days, it's surprisingly comfortable.
Marcus / January 12, 2008 at 10:48 am
A hot drink, a comfy chair and loads of sweets. Sounds alright, unless you are going to this cafe looking for good coffee because the espressos, cappuccinos and lattes come out of a vending machine.

The food is overpriced too. They don't come close to the prices that Second Cup puts on the exact same stuff.

But buying food that comes from a factory doesn't sound appealing to a lot people anyway, so go to the opposite corner of that block -- Cafe ArtJava at University and President-Kennedy makes their own sandwiches, salads and actual coffee!
french panic / January 15, 2008 at 11:45 am
eeeeeeeeek! Cutesy labels for tip jars make me turn around and run away. Far, far away. Tip jars have no class! Tip jars that are labelled with two unappealing "choices" should be knocked over and their contents scattered to the wind. Yuck.
Missing Montreal / February 1, 2008 at 08:28 pm
The Reese's cake, along with a lot of other cakes, are made by a company called Dawn's Desserts (http://www.dawnsdesserts.com/). You'll actually see her cakes everywhere in the city especially at Calories in Westmount. Anyway, yes that cake is so freaking good, but Java U? Too cold for me thanks.
9to5er / February 13, 2008 at 08:50 pm
Wow, I haven't been to Java U since I graduated a long time ago, it looks like they are getting more and more classy with their food.
Drag Racing 4×4 Hack / January 7, 2014 at 04:50 pm
Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an
established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog?
I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty
fast. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure
where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions?
With thanks
musik selber machen am pc / January 30, 2014 at 09:15 am
It's truly very difficult in this busy life to listen news on TV, therefore I only use web
for that reason, and get the newest news.
http://windowblind.blog.com/ / February 23, 2014 at 09:37 am
Conservatory blinds offer a huge amount of money to give your home a little bit of light staging here.
Venetian blinds are made from kiln dried Plantation Basswood made to measure window blinds or
Cedar. Your second step is to fill your bucket with warm water and then just wipe the
surface, and you also need to use the right wall
paint. Firstly, ask every parent to conduct the Wrap-A-Round test, it asks parents to
check if a window blind like natural wood is a natural
insulator and can block out excessive heat, cold and noise.
asos asos discount code august 2012 / March 1, 2014 at 09:49 pm
Homeowners can get a discount if they pay their taxes by a certain date.
posters for the movie Cloverfield (2008), are the
ones that stand out in people. You can also get selected codes which you
can use for a some limited number of moments.
marvel avengers alliance hacked online / June 12, 2014 at 07:51 am
I am truly delighted to glance at this web site posts which contains plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of data.
?g shock iso????200m????? ?????? master of g / June 26, 2014 at 09:17 am
I drop a leave a response when I like a article on a site or if I have something
to contribute to the discussion. Usually it is a result of the fire displayed
in the post I looked at. And on this post Democracy in Action at Java U.
I was excited enough to post a thought ;-) I do have some questions for you if you
do not mind. Could it be only me or do some of the comments come across like left by brain dead people?
:-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I
would like to keep up with you. Would you list the complete urls of your social sites like your
linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video
to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could
be giving us something enlightening to read?
golu dolls / February 26, 2019 at 11:02 pm