Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Dinner @ Supermarche Andes Gloria

Posted by Kim / January 10, 2008

20080110_pupusa3.jpgI’m not a fan of deep-fried sweets, so the churros from Supermarche Andes Gloria aren’t something that tempts me. Their pupusas and their empanadas are though. So now that we’ve covered dessert, let’s move on to the main course.

Sometimes my pupusa cravings are strong enough to merit the trek up the metro line to Beaubien or De Castelnau, and sometimes it’s just a tinge of a longing; this is when Supermarche Andes Gloria comes in. A short walk up St-Laurent, and I am in Latin American heaven. Trays of hot meat sit at the front, display cases piled high with empanadas and a pupusa bar to my right, and a small store stock-piled with all sorts of canned and packaged goods behind me. Not to mention the dozen or so colourful piñatas hanging from the ceiling…this place has character. There are a few tables to sit and eat your meal, but it seems this place mostly caters to the take-out crowd. So take-out it is.

20080110_pupusa2.jpgFirst, some empanadas. A long-time fan of La Chilenta’s spinach empanada, I decide to give Supermarche Andes’s a go. Definitely packed with more filling, and a much stronger spinach taste. It’s fresh and absolutely packed with spinachy goodness. I decide to give the fried empanada a go, opting for the beef. Definitely oily, but not overly greasy, it’s a fantastic mix of almost a beef paste with chunks of potato throughout, and it’s remarkable. Subtle and still rich, this is now my new favourite empanada. If you order the spicy sauce, you get a vibrant green sauce that tastes freshly made and spicy enough to have you wishing you had ordered a drink.

Next, the pupusas. The corn tortilla is thick and I love how the corn taste carries across the whole thing. Even stuffed with ground pork rind, cheese and refried beans, the corn stands out deliciously. It’s quite a concoction of flavours, which get amplified as soon as you dump the pickled cabbage and hot peppers over the pupusa. Start dipping in the tomato sauce, and it’s Salvadoran heaven. I ordered two, but once I had finished the first, I was stuffed. And for $2.50 each, it’s a cheap way to get stuffed.
20080110_pupusa1.jpgNot to stuffed for dessert though – no churros, thanks, but a fried plantain will do nicely. Hot, sticky and sweet, it’s the perfect way to finish the meal.
20080110_pupusa4.jpgSupermarche Andes Gloria isn’t El Amigo. But if you’re in the Plateau area and don’t feel like traveling, it’s hard to do better, especially for the price.

Supermarche Andes Gloria
4387 St. Laurent
(514)848-1078

emily / January 10, 2008 at 02:13 pm
i forgot they serve pupusas up there - the churros always distract me. i'll have to head over ASAP. Thanks Kim!
kim / January 10, 2008 at 03:11 pm
Get one of the fried empanadas while you're at it! They're fantastic (especially with the sauce).
The Publics / January 10, 2008 at 07:15 pm
Hot Damn! that looks delicious.
Malibu Jayne / January 11, 2008 at 12:16 am
was anyone else seeing chocolate chip cookies in that first pic,, or was it just me? :-)
those empanadas look delish, also.
djou / January 11, 2008 at 08:27 am
from that angle, the pupusas do look like chocolate chip cookies :P

andes is also a great place to get your ingredients for making pupusas at home. the leftover cheese is great for adding to just about anything (eggs, sandwiches, tomato soup...)

i've never actually eaten anything from the counter. i'll have to try it!
LaurelOZic / September 5, 2016 at 05:54 pm
Unquestionably assume that that you simply stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be around the internet the simplest thing to be
familiar with. I believe that to you, I definitely get annoyed while people take into consideration worries which they plainly don't understand about.

You were able to hit the nail upon the top as well as
defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can require a
signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
LaurelOZic / September 5, 2016 at 05:58 pm

You were able to hit the nail upon the top as well as
defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can require a
signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks
mod in pelle shoes / July 26, 2017 at 05:44 pm
You also can talk to others but it is advisable which you follow your
instinct. There are countless different shapes and fashions in which their shoes
are for sale in the market. However, before selecting, make sure
that you are sure concerning the products' quality.
golu dolls / February 26, 2019 at 11:06 pm