Tuesday, October 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Delivery Days: Hot & Spicy

Posted by Kim / April 8, 2008

20080408_hotandspicy2.jpgThe days of food delivery are almost behind us! Except for the occasional pizza order, I rarely order food in the warm weather; I have no problem walking around the city on hot, sunny days, hunting out food and enjoying meals on terraces. But on one of the last cold, snowyish, wet days, depression got the best of us, and we decided to have some Chinese food from Hot and Spicy delivered to our home.

It was neither hot or spicy. Not that I can blame them entirely for this. Delivering (for a fee of $3.50) food can be tricky business, especially when it’s coming all the way from Jean-Talon and Decarie. I can handle a bit of lukewarm food. The lack of heat in the dishes is a little less understandable. They asked us how spicy we would like each dish, and even though we explicitly stated, “very spicy!” we were pouring hot sauce over everything as we ate it.

The food had its strong and weak points. The whole bill was $50, which included the tax, tip, delivery fee and a tub of white rice, and it was enough food to fill three people’s bellies, and perhaps even four.

20080408_hotandspicy4.jpgMy favourite dish was the beef and bok choy. The ratio between beef and greens was 50:50; quite impressive! The sauce it was all swimming in pleasantly salty, the bok choy, while overcooked, juicy, and the beef was delicious and tender, with no chewiness to it at all. Bits of hot peppers scattered over everything added a bit of heat.

Also in the preferred dishes was the gigantic serving of general tao chicken. The sauce wasn’t overly sweet, and it was adequately spicy, with lots of ginger. Quite possibly some of the best general tao I’ve had.
20080408_hotandspicy3.jpgI was less impressed with the seafood chow mein, which consisted of two shrimp and whole lot of beef and chicken. Though there was nothing wrong with the taste of it (it was quite tasty!) and the noodles were nice, light and crispy and chockfull of veggies.
20080408_hotandspicy1.jpgThe fried shrimp dumplings were my least favourite: bland and served with a generic sweet sauce.

For the amount of food you can get, this is a good place to order from. I think they must have a few exceptional dishes (like that general tao), so once you figure out what you like, it’s one of your better Chinese delivery places.

Hot & Spicy (Le Gourmet)
7373 Boulevard Décarie
(514) 731-1818

Jeff / April 8, 2008 at 11:51 am
Kim you gots to try; Kam Ho - if your ever down near Concordia! even in the dead of winter, he rides his bike to your house! and the prices are very reasonable. . mmmm General Tao.. on a patio, the delivery days are soon over!
kim / April 8, 2008 at 12:21 pm
I'm often by Concordia - but never heard of that place!

I'll deny my usual Bangkok urges and give it a try next time I'm around. Thanks!
Sisi / April 9, 2008 at 10:42 am
Hey Kim, do you know any decent Korean places around the city? I tried this place close to St-Mathieu and Ste-Catherine, but it was terrible. I'm particularly looking for a good bibimpap (a mixed rice dish) served in a stone bowl.
kim / April 9, 2008 at 10:58 am
Sisi, check out Maison Seoul in NDG for that dish!
Awesome resto - I should write about it one of these days...

5030 Sherbrooke St. W.

Ben / April 9, 2008 at 03:28 pm
What place did you go to, Sisi?

I find the Bibimbap at Maison Bulgogi (2127 Ste-Catherine W.) too be particularly good. I'd be shocked if the very same soured yourself.
Sisi / April 9, 2008 at 09:16 pm
I don't recall the name Ben, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't Maison Bulgogi. The place I went to is more east; I'll try to find out the name! And now I'm tempted to try MB, yum. Do you know if Man-na on Bishop St. is any good?
Ben / April 9, 2008 at 09:49 pm
I've never been, and while I can't attest for quality, I've heard from a friend that their portions are extremely large. Still, I make a habit of avoiding the Bishop-Crescent region when possible.

I do recommend Maison Bulgogi though. They have the biggest Korean menu I've seen. 'Course they have some hits and misses, but the hits really hit hard, you'll be inundated with tea, and the family running it are about the nicest people you're likely to meet.

Top notch!
greynotgrey / April 11, 2008 at 12:38 pm
The Hot & Spicy in the Faubourg has MUCH better food & will deliver outside its zone for a surcharge, 10 bucks to the Plateau, for example. I too found the Decarie location's food bland & a bit on the greasy side the couple of times I ordered from them, so always order from the Faubourg. They have the best hot & sour soup in town!
kim / April 11, 2008 at 01:03 pm
$10 delivery charge! Wow - too rich for my blood.

But I do know that their general tao is awesome, having eaten there before. Thanks for the hot and sour soup tip - I've been wondering where to find the best one!
Rob / April 14, 2008 at 11:09 am
Isn't the Faubourg Hot and Spicy closed? I used to get takeout there all the time - loved the 2- or 3-choice a la carte menu. Was very sad when it closed, so if it has reopened, I'll be very happy!
kwy_li / April 24, 2008 at 12:18 am
I used to work at H&S years ago (which Asian girl older than 20 years old hasn't?), and I can confirm that the Faubourg location will remain closed until Faubourg cleans up its mall. But for General Tao chicken, it's way overpriced.

(Btw, Kim, the order of seafood noodles was wrongly packed and delivered - you got a regular panfried noodles.)

Korean food: Bulgogi House is good; its owner had its original restaurant on St-Denis many years back. Quatre Saison right across from Place St-Henri metro is cheap and good. My favourite is Hwang Kum on Sherbrooke near Hingston.
kim / April 24, 2008 at 09:15 am
kwy_li, I knew there was something off about a seafood dish that contained only two shrimp.

And you're right about Hwang Kum - love that place too. yumyum!

Thanks for all the info!
Tasha / February 4, 2015 at 12:16 am
His hairstyle and legnth of hair on video of interview and at the time he got passport is the same. So is his dress, same shirt, same necktie. I would guess the video was made on the same day.
pompanette / December 30, 2015 at 02:56 pm
Revenues have fallen every year since the company's fiscal 2011.
golu dolls / February 16, 2019 at 02:59 am