Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Exploring the Spectrum @ Pizzeria Napoletana

Posted by Kim / May 6, 2008

20080505_napoletana10.jpgMidnight Poutine certainly likes its pizza. Most of the time, we bring you stories of thick crust pizza, loaded with toppings and heavy with cheese. This time though, to be fair to the ongoing debate between the American-style pizza lovers and the Italian-style pizza lovers, I bring you Pizzeria Napoletana.

Located on Dante in Little Italy, Napoletana has been praised by many for its true Italian-style pizza. However, it has also often been faulted for its long lines, rude service and more recently, declining food quality. My weekend trip to Napoletana definitely is on the supporters’ side, finding the pizza absolutely delicious and a reminder of why thick-crust pizza isn’t always the way to go.

20080505_napoletana9.jpgWe headed over for a late lunch, a bottle of red wine in hand (yes, it’s BYOB), arriving at around 4:30pm. I’ve heard rumours that this place packs up at dinner time, often with a long waiting line – I believe this, because the place was already half full when we got there. It was a cute feel to it, with red and white checkered tables and a tree decked out with white lights “growing” in the middle of the resto.

The menu is simple, yet extensive, with almost thirty different pizzas and thirty pasta dishes. While the gnocchi looked fantastically delicious (I really do wish it was appropriate to ask people at the table next to you for a sample of their food), we skipped the pasta and the appetizers, wanting to save room for the pizza.
20080505_napoletana4.jpgI believe that was the right choice. We ended up ordering from the two sides of the pizza spectrum. There was a special pizza being offered that day, a simple pie made with buffalo mozzarella imported directly from Italy, a lightly spiced tomato sauce and a few leaves of basil. It was an extremely delicate-tasting pizza; with each bite, a different ingredient stood out subtly. The leaves of basil added a valuable tang to some bites, and the cheese was remarkable – an excellent texture and a light, slightly milky and salty taste.
20080505_napoletana7.jpgThe other pizza ordered was exactly the opposite, a pie sprinkled with parmesan on top of whole anchovies and mushrooms. It was a powerful, salty, fishy pie, popping with flavour. It did overpower all further bites of the first though.
20080505_napoletana2.jpgThe crusts on both pizzas were expertly done, thin with crispy edges and a soft, but not gooey, centre. On the table sits your own parmesan and hot pepper shakers, and if you ask, a bottle of olive oil (spicy or not) comes your way, perfect for dipping your crusts in.
20080505_napoletana1.jpgThe long list of available pizzas is startling, and I’ll definitely head back to sample the pesto/turkey pizza, along with the one with fresh tomatoes, prosciutto crudo and arugula.

Pizzeria Napoletana
189 Dante
514-276-8226

Sarah / May 6, 2008 at 06:20 pm
This is great.
I live near that place and was always intrigued by it. Now I'll definitely try it. :)
djou / May 6, 2008 at 08:17 pm
the special pizza looks really good... i always drool when i look at your food pictures :P

another place to add to my long list of places to try!
Rob / May 12, 2008 at 01:40 pm
wow! that place looks really fun. thanks for finding the location for my next date. I'm pretty sure we'll love it...
kim / May 12, 2008 at 01:55 pm
djou, I have a very loooong list of must-try places. I'm afraid I will never finish it.

Sarah and Rob (and Rob's date-to-be), let me know what you think when you try it, please!
Rob / May 16, 2008 at 09:48 am
Hmph.

I tried to make reservations (for this evening) over the phone yesterday and failed miserably. The semi-friendly- Italian-sounding lady that answered the phone over there simply said "show up before 6pm or you're gonna wait in line".

The race is on! :D Wish us luck! lol
kim / May 16, 2008 at 09:57 am
Good luck! I've heard about that infamous line.

...at least it'll be a nice evening outside.
Rob / May 22, 2008 at 04:44 pm
Success! Via a cunning combination of time management and navigational skills we managed to beat the rush, that fortunately only started after we arrived. We did sit inside however... next time we will try out the terrace I hope.

Anyway, we were simply blown away by this pizza. The sauce is great, the crust perfect, the toppings run the gamut (depending what you choose) but all seem fresh and tasty and in balanced proportion. She had the bacon/onion/mozza selection and I chose the (snobby) "Bufala" - which features the imported, Italian buffalo cheese, some Basil leaves and a particularly garlicky sauce (you could see large slivers of garlic in the sauce. Not complaining since i love garlic, I'm just saying: garlicfest. Awesome stuff. Besides, what kind of an a-hole goes into an Italian resto in little Italy and starts complaining about garlic? lol!

Thanks for the suggestion again and to those that plan on trying it out, get there before 6:30pm for indoor seats and before 5pm for the terrace.

Cheers!
Kyle / May 29, 2008 at 04:49 pm
I am a reader from La and i think this place is great.

My girlfriend has been going to that spot since she was a little girl. We had the tuna pizza and hearts of palm salad, both highly recommended. Trust, the tuna pizza is pretty ridiculous and w/ the hot oil. Donezo.

I can't wait to go back when i am in town.

cool blog btw.
mathamore / July 7, 2008 at 08:52 pm
buffalo is a city in the usa....mozzarella di buffala is the right term.....
mathamore / July 7, 2008 at 08:52 pm
buffalo is a city in the usa....mozzarella di buffala is the right term.....
mathamore / July 7, 2008 at 08:55 pm
i love those buffalo wings....there so good....wow....
kim / September 4, 2008 at 04:00 pm
"Mozzarella di Bufala Campana (sometimes known as Buffalo Mozzarella) is an Italian mozzarella cheese made from buffalo milk"

CBC calls it Buffalo Mozzerella too.
golu dolls / February 14, 2019 at 09:45 pm