Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C

The Ma-Am-M Bolduc Poutine

Posted by Kim / May 20, 2008

20080519_maambolduc6.jpgIn the search for the elusive best poutine in Montreal, I stumbled across Ma-Am-M Bolduc. This restaurant seems to be a popular place among poutine enthusiasts...but with a poutine smothered in hamburger meat and wine sauce, how could it not be? So off I went, after being sure not to eat anything all day, in poutine-preparation.

And am I ever happy that I didn't! I had no idea just how massive the servings there are. While we have had our food orders capped by some restaurants (rightfully so, most times), the staff at Ma-Am-M Bolduc just eyed me strangely and brought the gigantic plates of food right over. The two of us each ordered a small poutine, and then fearing that small might not be enough to satiate our poutine cravings, added a hamburger to share to the order. We left vowing never to eat again.

20080519_maambolduc5.jpgFirst things first. The poutine. I ordered a small Bourguignonne poutine, which is topped with onions, fried mushrooms, ground beef, cheese curds and a red wine sauce. The small was so big that I was convinced I had been brought a large; I had to check my bill and ask my waitress at the end (just so you know, the large poutine is described as very, very big, with my waitress's hands forming a shape bigger than my keyboard). But that's okay, since it was fantastic. The fried were not as fat as I like them, but they quickly absorbed the sauce that smothered them. This is perfectly okay with me, since the sauce was remarkable; the bite of wine stood out amazingly well, and was quite distinct and special on a poutine. The ton of ground beef was not like the Hamburger Helper style I'm used to, but had a smooth texture, added a...meaty....flavour to the dish. The fried mushrooms and onions were a bit sparse, but that was fine with me.
20080519_maambolduc4.jpgAcross the table sat the poutine with bacon and sauteed onions order. Entire crisp strips on bacon topped the fried, and the onions were wonderfully sauteed, moist and potent. This sauce was quite different, very sweet and a much lighter brown, perfect with the onions. I would've liked to eat both poutines.

But I couldn't, seeing as we had to split the hamburger. The waitress thoughtfully brought us the complete hamburger plate, which included a salad and fries. When I looked at the mountain of fries, she explained that she brought us a larger salad and less fries than usual, since we both had poutines the size of our heads.
20080519_maambolduc7.jpgThe salad was actually very refreshing, especially alongside the poutine. A light drizzle of creamy dressing atop lettuce, spinach, shredded carrot and onions - it matched wonderfully, and I felt healthy for a few seconds.
20080519_maambolduc8.jpgThe hamburger was on the thin side, but expertly cooked, a thin line of pink in the middle, and a little charred on the outside.
20080519_maambolduc2.jpg
The restaurant is cute and funky, with a small patio shaded by trees. Offering about eight types of poutine, comfort food like shepard's pie, a breakfast menu and sandwiches, I'm making this my new favourite poutine place.

Ma-Am-M Bolduc
4351 avenue de Lorimier
(514) 527-3884

Gabby / May 20, 2008 at 05:41 pm
Mmm. Kim, I love your reviews.
Sisi / May 20, 2008 at 07:07 pm
I went to this place for the first time a few weeks ago and was very satisfied with the sandwich. You're right about the massive portions; I had no room for dessert afterwards!
Olivier / May 21, 2008 at 07:36 pm
Bolduc's Bourgignone Poutine is the best Poutine in the Universe!
Rob / May 22, 2008 at 04:30 pm
Omg! How did I never try this?? I love bourgignon stew and I love poutine. So this really should have been a no-brainer.

Anyway, nice review, awesome pics as usual and now I am in urgent need of 1000CCs of poutine, STAT!

Thanks a lot! :p (hehe)
Fairfax / May 23, 2008 at 11:44 am
I'm still a La Banquise man myself... my favourite poutine place has to be open at bar closing time.

But La Bolduc would be second on my list. And if you want a noon poutine, rather than a midnight poutine... it might even be the best. But don't tell La Banquise I said that.
RannieB / May 23, 2008 at 09:15 pm
Great review Kim.

I'm still laughing at your "I felt healthy for a few seconds" part.

I was at Ma-am-M Bolduc a long while ago. Now I just have to go back and get one of those bourguignonne poutine.
Thanks to you I'll know to bring a friend for sharing purposes ;).

Cheers,

kim / May 26, 2008 at 08:28 pm
Thank you Gabby, Rob and RannieB - yes, please don't try to eat one of those poutines by yourself. It hurts.

Fairfax, I also really, really like Banquise, but I have to admit, this place does make better french fries.
TheBobby / June 8, 2008 at 04:38 pm
I waaant!
Rob Postuma / August 7, 2008 at 09:09 am
After reading this, I decided to drag my significant other to try this amazing sounding poutine. We both decided upon "the one with the wine sauce", as we couldn't pronounce the name properly *LOL*

It was pretty damn good. The "refreshing" of the typical poutine concept was not only brilliant, but tasty as well. I loved it.

As for the size of the poutine, the "small" poutine was rather large ( and thus I would suspect the "large" probably needed a table to itself ), but .. for $ 8.95 - I do expect a rather large portion.

Drawbacks about the place ? Well, it was completely unilingual french, so tourists may have a small problem. Mind you, it is in Quebec so you expect that - and the staff was completely friendly anyways. Also - beer was a bit pricey for this kind of place.

Other than that, I'm in love with this place. I will definitely go back.
1894882 / June 21, 2011 at 11:26 pm