Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Bagels in Space

Posted by Sasha / June 3, 2008

Fairmount Bagels, by kathyylchan
Photo: "Fairmount Bagels", by Flickr user kathyylchan

Faimount bagels are going where no Montreal darling has gone before

Rumours were spreading around the Mile-End like butter on a hot poppyseed bagel that Fairmount Bagels were up to something special. My inside source told me that they were going "intergalactic", and cryptically confided that he had personally witnessed two dozen "space bagels" being made. It seemed like the stuff of urban legend, but now the news is in: NASA astronaut Greg Chamitoff, a Montrealer by birth and in his heart, is breaking out the honey-boiled classics in space. My source was right: Chamitoff is related to the bakery's owner, and somehow convinced Ground Control to let him share a batch of sesame goodness around the International Space Station. But there were some limitations: his cousin wouldn't let him take up his favourites, the notoriously stinky garlic bagels. "They would have stunk up the whole place," she said. Amen to that!

KS / June 3, 2008 at 06:18 pm
Oh, Mile End - first indie rock and now bagels in space.
SNAP! / June 3, 2008 at 08:08 pm
Ha ha! That's awesome! I had a good chuckle!
Michael Black / June 3, 2008 at 10:25 pm
But how many got into space? Usually they require
quite a few extras for testing purposes. Since
the testing does not leave the bagels intact, they
need spares.

When I was a kid, nobody talked about sending bagels
into space. They'd talk about bagels in a tube, that
you'd consume through a straw, so it wouldn't float
around. Even today, I'm not so sure you want anything
with seeds on them to float away (or else it might
land in someone's eye, or they'd choke on it by
inhalation). Every time I buy a bag, there are lots
of sesame seeds at the bottom.

Michael
the / March 19, 2012 at 10:11 am
penis in a cup
Denis / February 4, 2015 at 06:36 am
I've done what your doing, but for me I eventually statred treating myself with some tasty treats. What I noticed is that I enjoy eating middle eastern cuisine very much and now I crave that more than anything. I also starting working out 3 to 4 times a week. That was tough to get statred and I finally just hired a personal trainer to help motivate me and to give me the structure I needed to show up. Having a scheduled appt and spending time with somebody who knows what they're doing gave me the opportunity to learn while being there which took a lot of my misdirection and boredom out of the equation. At first I had the PT there everytime, then after the first month it was two times a week. Now I'm to once every two weeks and will likely continue that for a while. Just was something that really helped me get statred mentally. I very much look forward to this time now and cannot imagine not doing it. Since I've lost weight and my personal self image has changed dramatically I do allow myself to enjoy food again. Only thing different is I don't enjoy eating foods that have trans fats or hydrogenated anything. Soda pops are a nice treat and I found Pepsi has a great version with 60% less sugar.
Malkangani / September 28, 2015 at 09:47 pm
Thhis blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!!Finally I havee found something which helped me.
Appreciate it!