Friday, November 22, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Finally! Ramen in Montreal @ Ramen-Ya

Posted by Kim / September 26, 2008

20080924_ramen7.jpgRamen-Ya is a relative newcomer to St-Laurent in the Plateau, and I certainly hope it’s a restaurant that’s here to stay for a long time. I recently had one of the best (and most affordable!) lunches there than I’ve had in a long time, and I am looking forward to eating there on a regular basis.

Ramen-Ya is a small resto, with only a few tables and benches at the bar. However, it’s clean, sleek and tastefully decorated, and a lovely place to sit down and have a meal. The star of the place is their ramen soup, which is not to be confused with the insane amount of pho that is available in this city; no, the ramen soup here is lighter, less greasy, fresher and filled with ramen noodles.

20080924_ramen9.jpgYou are offered a choice between three different types of broth: shoyu, (the clearest and lightest in flavour) miso, or curry (the darkest and heaviest in flavour). The traditionalist in me went for the shoyu broth (which the waitress also recommended), and a side of tonkatsu, or breaded pork cutlet, to put in the soup.
20080924_ramen10.jpgAlone, the pork was a bit dry, but after it had sat in the ramen soup for a bit, it became tender and a wonderful addition to the already-full soup. Along with a plentiful serving of ramen noodles in the bowl were mushrooms, crunchy bean sprouts and seaweed. Not heavy at all, this soup was hearty and filling, and full of freshness.
20080924_ramen3.jpgFor appetizers, we went with the gyoza, perfectly pan-fried on one side, so there was a mixture of textures; slightly chewy on one, crispy on the other.
20080924_ramen5.jpgThey could’ve been filled a little more pork, but what was there was rich in flavour, as was the dipping sauce. The serving size was ideal.
20080924_ramen1.jpgThe other appetizer we ordered was the grilled squid, served on a bed of lettuce. I loved every tender bite of it.

I loved the meal and will be a repeat visitor. And with two appetizers, one big bowl of soup and a pork cutlet and a small sake, Ramen-Ya fed two people for $30, tax included. It really doesn’t get much better than that.
20080924_ramen11.jpg

Ramen-Ya
4274 St Laurent
(514) 286-3832

hannah / September 26, 2008 at 05:49 pm
sharing one bowl of soup (+ 2 app and saké i know) doesnt sound like such a good deal @ 30$ for lunch...
J.F. / September 27, 2008 at 12:37 pm
Hey Hannah sounds like a pretty good deal to me, considering what it cost to eat lunch in and around the downtown core. I had half a sandwich and a cup of soup this week at a new place on Welington corner McGill and it cost me almost $13 and that doesn't include a drink, my friend included a drink in his lunch and he had to pay $16. So to me a quality meal that fills me up and doesn't leave me felling like I have a lump in my stomach sounds good to me.
S. / September 28, 2008 at 12:08 pm
i walked by this place last night, looked interesting. though a bit too trendy to be classified as cheap...

there is a place next to Cheap Thrills on Metcalfe, south of Sherbrooke that has a great 20% off deal for students. They serve some decent Vietnamese/Thai stuff...
Jon / September 30, 2008 at 03:40 pm
Though it's probably not the cheapest asian food around, it is Japanese which is usually the priciest type of Asian food you could get! It's nice to see a Japanese restaurant that isn't just sushi!
Kitty / October 6, 2008 at 11:56 pm
Back in the old days at Sakura while Katsura was still hanging around on de la Montagne, you can get a udon/soba lunch set (which included a soup, salad, ice cream AND tea) for less than $10 a head. Now that they've moved up (geographically and monetarily), I don't if lunch is still such a steal.

Mikado still serves a noodle lunch set for $11.50, according to their website. Oishi Sushi on Bernard serves up ramen noodles at $8-10 a pop...

Heck, almost every decent Japanese restaurant in Montreal has some noodle soup dish on their menu, but it seems most reviews of Japanese restaurants only focus on sushi. Explore, Montrealers, explore!
SNAP! / October 8, 2008 at 07:53 am
Looks good! My mouth is watering!
Magda / June 1, 2009 at 08:28 am
Kim is right. Great place for lunch. Makes me think of the film Tampopo every time I go there. The texture of the ramen noodles is amazing. You want to finish them even though you know you'll pay for it later when you're falling asleep in front of your computer screen. I do anyway.
Great photos too!
Ali / July 16, 2009 at 02:31 am
Kim, after some serious thinking, I decided to go on a hunger strike up until you decide to come back with some new restaurant reviews.
needless to say i'm dead serious.
no pressure.