Thursday, January 24, 2019Light Snow -5°C

You Don't Need Breakfast or Lunch, You Need Le Pick Up's Brunch

Posted by Laura / August 14, 2009

20090814-pickup.jpg

I've just returned to Montreal from a very long, very hot vacation. The kind of vacation so good you don't even hate coming home, because life is so incredible. At the top of my list of things to do when back in town was a summer weekend staple, brunch at Little Italy's Depanneur Le Pick-Up. I thought I may as well share with you a few reasons why eating at this resurrected neighbourhood snack bar is the best thing a person can do with their weekend days, because I care about you a lot. I can't speak for you, but I think this thing we've got between us might really be going somewhere.

Wouldn't you know that, in the time I've been away, Le Pick-Up has received not one but TWO raves reviews which had absolutely nothing to do with me, one of which even came from the New York Times T Magazine online. I think this is what is called 'having a moment,' so instead of being bitter that my hot tip has been scooped, I'm just going to roll with it! All that really matters is that you get yourself seated at the friendliest barstool in town, ready to take on the weekend with a belly full of pulled pork.

The deal is, Saturdays and Sundays until they run out of food, this homey, unassuming dep at Mozart and Waverley serves the most wonderful brunches known to a man or a lady. From yogourt/granola/fresh fruit mixtures to elaborate fritattas, omelettes and French toast with next-level flavour twists, the specials tend to go for about $8. The service isn't perfect, but that's part of the charm. Hopefully you haven't really got anywhere to be, and can spend a nice chunk of time at the counter, the indoor picnic table, or any of the outdoor seats on the sidewalk in front or the quiet courtyard out back. You'll probably want to order a couple of rounds of coffee; they're good enough to make stopping at Cafe Italia on the way home unnecessary, which is saying something, and means there's really no good reason not to relax and stay a while.

Of course, if you're late for brunch and it's all gone, the regular menu is full of great surprises too, especially as a to-go order after your sit-down meal. You know, cause you wouldn't want to actually eat a meal that day that wasn't from the Pick-Up. The sandwiches in particular have gotten a lot of word-of-mouth buzz happening, and with good reason. The chipotle chicken club ($6) is the best in town, thanks to the little trick of using juicy dark thigh meat instead of the usual dried-out breast. The pulled pork is glorious, topped with pickles and slaw, and comes in a veggie option that is rumoured to be made with shredded soy-based fake duck meat, and is good enough to almost fool a meat-eater. The baked goods (various prices, all reasonable) will be calling to you from their display case while you eat, and you should listen. Cupcakes, squares and cookies are overlooked elements of any complete breakfast, so please do your part to raise awareness of their plight, and take one home with you.

The food's great, the people are greater, and they have candy! Can't wait for you to join me and a bunch of New York Times readers at the Pick Up this weekend!

Montreal N00b / August 14, 2009 at 07:59 pm
Thanks for the tip! New here, don't know many or much, so sights like this are great for finding the best 'stuff in town! Merci!
i want some brunch / August 15, 2009 at 07:03 pm
i could just go search for it on the ny times site, but could you please provide me and other lazy people like me with an address? thanks!
Greg / August 16, 2009 at 01:15 am
Who are you? Your entries are awesome, please write more.
Mari / August 19, 2009 at 10:10 pm
You forgot to mention the staff! Best staff EVER.
Alex / August 25, 2009 at 10:20 pm
I would like to comment on one ignorant thing.

You mentioned "good dark meat instead of the usual dry breast".

First of all it really sounds like you don't have a taste for quality. Meaning, you never had a juicy white meat chicken. White meat is quality, dark meat is complete garbage. I really don't have time to give you details as to why that is....but I just want to point out a specific thing about this post.

How can I trust your opinion anymore after you just put dark meat over white meat? Your opinion just got devalued and now I wont be returning to read your opinions anymore of what is good and what is not.

Your so pretentious that I just want to kill myself.
zoe / September 18, 2009 at 02:41 pm
Alex,

An internet asshole who misuses your and you're isn't worth his (or her) salt. "Killing yourself" seems like a solid solution to everyone's problem in this case. I mean, so long as you don't haunt the internet, misspelling things from beyond the grave.

Love,
Zoe
Balti / April 10, 2012 at 01:23 pm
With our monetary climate just how in which seriously is, To begin with . to arrange the basics of declaring bankruptcy under lack of employment perks. Options approach would be to make it clear how our lack of employment setup effective, precisely what the ordinary means accepting and rejecting conditions, then it contain myths received from my own , unbiassed practical experience of what great procedures as effectively as the usual issues are having declaring bankruptcy under joblessness importance.
Rose Duras / April 26, 2013 at 08:12 pm
When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Thanks!Roofing Repair of Irving, 1117 Brandon Ct., Irving, TX 75060-4948 - (972) 200-4770
Ruby McConachy / May 16, 2013 at 01:04 am
I'm curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing? I'm having some small security issues with my latest site and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?Raleigh Roofing, 3221 Durham Dr., #101-C, Raleigh, NC 27603 - (919) 701-6300
Emma Sulman / May 16, 2013 at 01:15 pm
Hello are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and set up my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!Katy Roofing Contractor, 831 Comstock Springs Drive, #A, Katy, TX 77450 - (281) 829-8297
Homepage / November 10, 2013 at 04:32 am
Hello there, excellent web-site you've at this time there.
Canada Goose Pas Cher / November 27, 2013 at 08:31 pm
I think you see me, I like this 13econ1126, That's a good post. May be u can go this way follow us.
mortgage protection insurance / April 9, 2014 at 08:15 pm
State Pension mortgage protection Deferral Boosts Retirement
IncomeHow to Save for Retirement: 401ks, Pensions, IRAs & AnnuitiesDefined
Benefit Plans: What is a 403b tax sheltered annuity and how does it work?
Kandy / July 31, 2014 at 01:21 am
If the tenant is responsible business insurance and give a written 30-day notice if you intend to rent
your property. Ensure they are protected allows landlords to retain part
or all of the necessary remedy must be known. If business insurance the fixed term.
Status : CanceledWhy : This comedy has been on top of
the more family-friendly dramas on TV, and maybe an area with a fireplace for friends to just chill out.

Background checks and checks on eviction notices helps to determine the present value.
grosfillex / August 6, 2014 at 08:04 am
With a few easy touches that do not even have to be pricey you can bring life to your outdoor space in no time.
In furniture market, dominated by an handicrafts industry, plastic allows for a real
industrial production. * Wooden garden furniture: It
is popular since the beginning and meets the needs of all kinds of home settings.
site travail a domicile / August 19, 2014 at 05:51 am
Hi there to every one, it's in fact a pleasant for me to visit this web site,
it consists of valuable Information.
Maybelle F. Sovey / October 9, 2014 at 10:06 am
It's an remarkable post in favor of all the web viewers; they
will obtain benefit from it I am sure.
Fredericka / November 16, 2014 at 11:14 pm
Hi, Neat post. There's an issue together with
youhr web site in internet explorer, would tes this?
IE stil is the market leader and a huge portiuon of other
folks will pass over your exceellent writing due to this
problem.
heavy duty angle bracket / December 9, 2014 at 05:57 am
Very rpidly this site wipl bbe famous among all blogging
and site-building viewers, due to it's good articles or reviews
Zhon / February 4, 2015 at 08:48 am
Please explain about the vedoiing of the race. I noticed 2 different cameras focused on Michelle. Why was that? Did her parents hire someone to video tape their daughter for prosperity? None of the other runners were video taped. How did the taping come to be edited and plubished to the web? I am just curious of the process.Sincerely,Mike
customized chocolate bars / February 17, 2015 at 06:35 am
You can certainly see your enthusiasm in the article you write.
The arena hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid
to mention how they believe. All the time follow your heart.
indonesia sosbook / December 17, 2015 at 05:15 am
Its not my first time to visit this website, i am visiting this website
dailly and get good facts from here daily.
mlm marketing strategy / November 7, 2016 at 04:45 pm
Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you so much,
However I am encountering difficulties with your RSS.
I don't understand the reason why I cannot join it.
Is there anybody else having identical RSS problems?

Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!