Thursday, September 19, 2019Light Snow -5°C

Posted by Amie / March 12, 2010

Pekarna

Pekarna

2313 Rue Sainte Catherine Ouest

●●●●●●●●○○

8 out of 10

I swear I will start eating salad soon...

It was brought to my attention that in my Top 10 Montreal Desserts adventure I had overlooked a Slovenian patisserie in the AMC forum. I don't know how I missed a wall of cakes. I walk past the shop all the time. Very unlike me. Anyway, when I was told that it was better than a lot of the places on my list, I had to check it out. Having just eaten my way through a week of cakes, it's a really good thing I love ganache, and butterscotch, and mousse. Oh God I love mousse.

...and the commenter was right. This place is very, very good. I wouldn't do a whole extra review on the place if it wasn't warranted. Pure refined sugar. Nothing good for you. Ignore the lunch counter. You come here for dessert, pure and simple. It's open late every day, is situated right next to a movie theatre, so fits perfectly with my line about getting a piece of cake after a movie. I was skeptical at first because there were so many cakes in displays. Surely you couldn't buy them all by the slice, but you could! Then surely they must come from a factory, but they don't. The café is owned by a Slovenian woman who bakes most of the cakes in a big, big kitchen in Brossard. Her two daughters run the café and bake a few more cakes, cookies and squares in-store. No preservatives, real butter, lots of cream.

Oreo Cake and Cheesecake
The Cakes: There's an oreo cake AND and an oreo cheesecake! Does anyone else get as excited about that as I do? Three kinds of chocolate cake including mocha, brownie (layers and layers of actual brownie separated by rich icing and somehow called cake) and tiramisu (the ladyfingers are on the outside). Then there are at 6 kinds of mousse cakes in addition to strawberry shortcake and the signature Pekarna cake with raspberry cream, chocolate and vanilla genoise, coffee butter-cream, chocolate butter-cream and, as if that wasn't enough, rum flavour. Simple vanilla butter-cream cakes pales in comparison, if not in taste then at least in terms of adjectives...
Truffles
Or if you can't handle layers of iced brownies somehow called a cake, you can try a truffle. They're huge and they don't look perfect, meaning they're home-made.
Religieuses
Or maybe just eat the cute "chubby nuns"...also called "Réligieuses". Cream puff pastry filled with thick, intensely sweet maple cream, topped with maple glaze, and assembled in layers that look like a church with steeples, or overly-shapely nuns. Even nuns deserve something that makes them happy. If it isn't your vocation, there are worse things than sweets to fall back on...

Blasphemy aside, this is a shop full of (sinfully) sweet concoctions, and will bump a whole lot of Montreal desserts down the Top 10 list. Apparently you should try the apple pie, but with 4 lengths of counters filled with three-tiers of cake each, you have a tough choice ahead of you.

Pies
Oh, and the prices are low. Huge piece of flan for $2.99. Cakes around $4.25-$4.75. Big pieces of pie with flaky crust, $3.00 range. Sounds too good to be true.

Pekarna
(514) 228-5222
www.pekarna.ca
Hours: Mon: 8am - 10pm, Tues-Thurs: 8am - 10:30pm, Fri: 8am - 11:30pm, Sat: 9am - 12am, Sun: 9:30am - 10pm

natalia / March 12, 2010 at 08:25 pm
Hi my name is Natalia Valbuena and I am
for LatinArte Festival here in Montreal
so I will like to know your email or where I can contact you for invite you to our annual bloggers meeting please send me you information a valbuenaty@hotmail.com
thanks have a good night!!
Vic / March 16, 2010 at 01:26 am
Thank you Amie. Your review is right on!!
My favourite is their flan but they don't always have it. This past christmas they were offering 20 kinds of xmas logs at around 25$. Awesome deal and same quality as the rest of their cakes.
Imzadi78 / October 28, 2011 at 01:07 am
Just had very bad service at this cafe. The girl behind the counter chatted with a friend, ignoring the 3 waiting clients. They don't have trays, how is one supposed to juggle hot soup, a coffee and dessert to one's table? Also, the couple after me was offered table service. I was not. The food is tasty but there are service kinks to iron out for sure.
girls summer camps delray beach / July 3, 2014 at 04:24 pm
Because the specific needs of a child may involve
academic delays, behavioral issues, social deficits or a combination of the three, the
overall effect of a two-to-three month summer break may vary significantly from one
student to another. Once you do, your child will be
well on his or her way to staying active, making new friends, and having fun.
On cold days, you are somewhat advised to do the opposite of
what you should do during cold days. What should parents look for when choosing soccer camps for kids.
There are quite a lot of issues to consider prior to locating a perfect camp for your children. They don't stop to
consider that everyone is weird in some way. I don't care what camp you train at, you are going to get in shape faster in Thailand on a "training holiday" than you would in your own town. They perform almost-endless
back and form dynamic power skating while taking in consideration speed as well as momentum.
While planning for this cleaning exercise, you may have to
obtain any other item as necessary like a basket, pantry and
a refrigerator. Parents love acquiring a struggle weeks of comfort in addition to quiet.
Edson / February 4, 2015 at 06:40 am
no, da ne bo kdo mislil, da si je mišo sam izarbl vre?ko. imela sva jo kot shopping bag in ko se je napolnila je bilo spodobno, da jo nosi moški :)mene pa otoki prav nasprotno inspirirajo za pakiranje. samo taboljše, ker itak zmeraj operem, namesto, da bi vzela manj boljše. boljše, najboljše je mišljeno seveda zelo kategori?no za na otok :)
This Week / March 31, 2016 at 10:20 pm

I blog quite often and I truly thank you for your content.
Your article has truly peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking
for new details about once per week. I subscribed to your Feed too.
iphone se wallpapers / April 3, 2016 at 02:03 am

Hello to every single one, it's truly a nice for me to go to see this website, it consists of priceless Information.
kanchipuramsarees / January 23, 2019 at 11:00 pm