Monday, January 20, 2020Light Snow -5°C

"Greg Got a Slow-Cooker!" Part 2 - Heaven is a Place on Earth that has Pulled Pork

Posted by Greg / April 15, 2010

20100515-PulledPork.jpg
Avid readers of Amie's food posts may be wondering how our experiment with slow-cooked pulled pork turned out. Well, if the title of this entry didn't already give it away, our joint efforts produced one of the greatest foods I've ever consumed in my entire life. No exaggeration here. I really think pulled pork could be the eighth wonder of the world. Actually, you know what? Screw the Colossus of Rhodes, it was only 34m tall anyway. As far as I'm concerned, pulled pork IS one of the seven wonders of the world. I would do something pretty seriously ridiculous for a pulled pork sandwich right now.

I never fully realized this until I cracked open the slow-cooker around 10pm, after six hours of cooking, but it's called pulled pork because the meat literally falls off the bone and pulls apart into small shreds. Sounds pretty obvious, but really, if you haven't done this before then you won't believe how tender the pork gets in the end. It's almost dangerous. I initially tried lifting our four-pound pork shoulder out of the slow-cooker with two forks and it actually fell apart in mid air, nearly falling onto the floor. Honestly, there should be a law against such careless and uninformed pulled pork handling, since the wasting of such amazing meat poses a serious risk to the public.

I placed it on a giant cutting board and started pulling it apart with two forks. The pork kept piling up and up, to a point where I ran out of room and had to use a second cutting board. There was just so much of it. It was like taking water from a bottomless natural spring, only instead of fresh water, there there was four pounds of pork. Even after my first meal I had enough to fill two 750 ml tupperware containers. Two! That's 1.5 L of pork. Let me tell you, it is very, very satisfying measuring pork in liters.

So I had this monstrous pile of meat spread over two cutting boards, and still sitting in the slow-cooker was a pool of pork juice and leftover BBQ sauce. I knew I had to use the stuff but didn't want overly mushy, or overly fatty, pulled pork, so I decided to make gravy out of it like a good Quebecker. I dumped it onto a frying pan, turned up the heat to medium, and stirred in some flour. Within ten minutes - BAM! Barbecue gravy.

Now it was time to assemble a sandwich. I kept it simple the first time - bun, meat, sauce. And holy hell, was it amazing. Sweet, savory, tangy, spicy, smoky... hints of apple, just the right amount of salt, and just the right texture. It was one of those very special sandwiches that you want to last forever. A more precious memory than my first kiss. (Sorry Gina! This pulled pork was REALLY good.)

After gorging myself on two sandwiches, I put the remaining 1.5 L of pork in the fridge and fell asleep dreaming of the amazing week of meat consumption I had ahead of me.

Yeah, it was a pretty sweet week. Like a vacation getaway, only a vacation from anything that wasn't totally rad pork. I ate it at least twice a day. Kinda gross, right? No, not at all, actually.

I got a little more adventurous with my sandwiches as the week went on. At various points I added cheddar cheese, thin apple slices, cole slaw, sauteed mushrooms and onions... all worked extremely well, never taking away from the main attraction.

Listen up everyone. Go out right now and buy yourself a slow-cooker, since there's simply no easier way of making ridiculously good meat. And with its ability to work wonders with cheaper cuts of meat (we paid $12 for our four-pound pork shoulder), it's a great money saver too. Seriously, it'll change your life.

photo of pulled pork taken from hummingcrow's flickr page. unexpected camera problems prevented me from taking pics of the real goods, but it looked exactly like this.

Amie / April 15, 2010 at 08:56 am
Amazing! Take THAT Colossus of Rhodes!

Sorry for not adequately warning you about the dangers of pork-to-cutting board transferal.

Cool idea with the sauce. The other option for the sauce next time is to just throw the shredded meat back into the juices in the slow-cooker and mix them around. Gravy is a really good idea, though, because you won't end up with as many orange stains on all your clothes for the week, but it's less work to just throw the meat back into the slow-cooker with the juices. It's not like you're eating with a fork and a knife or anything. Being polite is probably not what you care about when you've got that much juicy BBQ pork in front of you on a fluffy bun.

Congratulations on your first slow-cooker adventure and success!
Gabby / April 15, 2010 at 06:12 pm
All I've got to say is: Mmmmmmmmmm!
brat / April 16, 2010 at 09:59 pm
ruby / April 17, 2010 at 12:21 am
I'm a vegetarian, but I would so completely eat pulled pork all the time if I had a slow cooker because it is the GREATEST FOOD ON EARTH. I worked at a restaurant that served it mixed with a blackberry bbq sauce (go to epicurious and get a nice bbq sauce recipe, and add some blackberry preserves). Put that shit in some crepes, top with marinated onions, add a little sour cream and minced chives, and you will be eating the greatest thing you have ever tasted.

Aaaah, it all looks so good. I might have to renounce my veggie ways and go buy a slow cooker. Where did you buy the meat?
Greg / April 17, 2010 at 03:09 am
Hi Ruby - We got our meat at Charcuterie Fairmount, located on St. Laurent between Roy and Duluth. You can read a more detailed description of the meat buying process in the first post: http://www.midnightpoutine.ca/food/2010/03/greg_got_a_slow-cooker_part_1/

And all your suggested uses of pulled pork sound absolutely fantastic. Oh man, I'd better stop thinking about this or else I'll get really, really hungry.
TuturQbul / February 5, 2015 at 08:51 am
Losing weight rruiqees balancing a diet. What will help most is eating small meals and consuming more dark greens and a mixture of veggies. Then fruits. Then meat. Then whole grains, though non-gluten grains such as tasty and versatile buckwheat are more helpful. Then starches such as potato, plantain, cassava. An example:1 cup of raw or quickly steamed veggies (firm and color will be bright when cooked properly)4oz of meat, rare to medium rare for best benefit1 whole fruit between meals (less fruit than veggies but more fruit than meat)1/4 1/2 cup whole grains or starch between meals cereal, toast/bagel/crumpet/plain bread with honey, real butter or peanutbutterDo NOT use lean meat! The fat that comes with meat contains digestive enzymes. What can interfere with losing weight is consuming meats treated with hormones.Read labels to avoid hormones, trans fats and refined sugars (usually end with ose' like fructose and high fructose)Walking 20 minutes several times a day bring you closer to your goal much faster. If you can't walk, build a light stretch and exercise routine into each day.Be sure to take a good multi-vitamin.Drink half your weight in ounces of water each day. If you weigh 100lbs, drink 50 ounces which is easy to do by exchanging other fluids for water.Digestive enzymes, like Now Foods Super Enzymes, will help digest food.Probiotics such as cultured kefir will condition the digestive tract with good bacteria required for proper nutrient assimilation.
DuaneNKlarich / June 30, 2015 at 07:01 am
It's remarkable to pay a visit this web site and reading
the views of all friends regarding this post, while I am also keen of getting knowledge.
golu dolls / January 23, 2019 at 08:43 pm