Friday, November 28, 2014Mostly Cloudy -4°C

Montreal Beer Store Throwdown: Veux-Tu Une Biere vs. Le Paradis de la Biere

Posted by Amie / January 31, 2011

Montreal Beer Throwndown: Veux-tu une biere vs. supermarche rahman paradis de la biereVeux-tu une biere? Do you want a beer? Yes, please.

Criteria: Selection, Sizes, Snacks, & Price

Sure, you can get beer at any Depanneur in Quebec, but finding all the amazing micro-brews that the province offers requires a specialty shop. Le Paradis de la Biere (aka Supermarche Rahman) on Laurier between Parc and St-Laurent has always won out as the place with the best selection of local hops-y delicacies, but about 5 months ago a new beer store called "Veux-Tu Une Biere" opened right next to Crémazie metro on rue Liege. It's not a Dep, and it's not an epicerie that also carries a lot of Quebec beer like Le Fromagerie Atwater in the Atwater Market or the Marché des Saveurs du Quebec at Jean-Talon Market. It's more like Délires du Terroir in Plaza St-Hubert, but there's a feeling when you walk in that this is a place for all types of drinkers - beer beginners, intermediates, and pros (you can definitely be a beer pro, both the legit kind and not so legit kind) - and despite the selection of local cheeses, spreads, vinegars, chocolates, nuts and teas, the shop's raison d'etre is to help you explore a few beer options you've never seen before and might just love.

Best Selection of Micro-Brews: Veux-Tu Une Biere is a smaller shop than Paradis de la Biere, but while this may make it seem that the selection is smaller, that's not necessarily the case. In fact, cases are the problem. Paradis de la Biere has cases of beer everywhere, which makes it quick and easy to grab a half dozen of any kind of Dieu du Ciel - something that gives me shivers - but all those beers are also available at Veux-Tu Une Biere; they're just organized individually in the fridges.
Carrot and Jalapeno Beers from Micro du LievreOne of the beer fridges at Veux-Tu Une Biere?

This encourages a kind of DIY-case of beer option where you can add some variety to your case. While bigger companes such as Dieu du Ciel and Au Maitre Brasseur offers this mixed case philosophy for their own beers, Veux-Tu Une Biere lets you choose from any of the Quebec micro-breweries stocked in the fridge. So it's kind of impossible to know which store has a better selection (they both carry the carrot and jalapenos beers from the Micro du Lievre), especially since new beers come to Veux-Tu Une Biere? all the time, which you can find out about on their Facebook page.Carrot beer from Micro du Lievre

The fridges themselves are the best part of the store. They're not organized by brand, but by beer type. So all the rousses, all the blondes, all the porters, all the stouts, and all the lagers are together. If you like Belgian-style beers but are looking for something you can't find at your average Dep, there will be a good 5 or 10 options you've maybe never seen before (Micro Brasserie du Lac's "Vire Capot" Belgian-style blonde, or La Chouape 1881) all lined up side by side. There are even abbey-style beers made right here including Les Freres Houblon's Fontaine du Diable. Feel like trying some barley wines? There are four:Barley wines at Veux-tu Une Biere?Barley Wines at Veux-Tu Une Biere?
Specialty beers at Paradis de la BiereSpecialty Beers at Paradis de la Biere
Paradis de la Biere also carries all the standards that Deps must carry (Molson, etc.), but they definitely carry a lot of unique offerings and beer gift ideas including the special sets of 4 Simple Malts plus a glass (top left of photo):Paradis de la Biere gift packsYou can find the same at Veux-Tu Une Biere stacked above the peanut butter and apple butter:Veux-Tu Une Biere gift packages and peanut butter

The Make-Your-Own-Case system is all well and good if you like to mix and match, but what if you just want a whole lot of the same beer?

Size: Veux-Tu Une Biere?Grosses Beers at Veux-Tu Une Biere?But if the large format jugs are too much for you to handle, either make some friends and/or try these instead:
Un peu moins grosses bieres at Veux-Tu Une Biere?"A little less big" beers...

Best Snacks: Veux-Tu Une Biere, but Paradis de la Biere for chips, junk food, and Dep essentials.

The biggest difference between these two shops can be demonstrated by comparing the photo above of the organic spreads at Veux-Tu Une Biere? with this one of Paradis de la Biere:Uncle Ben's and good beer at Paradis de la Biere

Veux-Tu Une Biere is about beer appreciation and even beer pairing, which is why Carl, one of the owners of Veux-Tu Une Biere, explained to me how one of his favourites, the Corps Mort Vin d'Orge, goes well with some of the Quebec specialty cheeses the store sells. Want some chocolate with your coffee porter? They have some dark, bitter, high-end options. They also have locally-made terrines, bulk nuts, and fresh fish from Nova Scotia. And if you got dragged into the store by a friend and somehow aren't tempted by the ridiculous selection of beer, there are even artisanal bulk teas. Not exactly the same effect, but to each his or her own. Salvage the friendship if you can, I guess.

If all you want is a snack, Veux-Tu Une Biere? does have baked and fried chips and some local salsas, but you won't find any Uncle Ben's or Chef Boyardee in these parts. So Veux-Tu Une Biere? is definitely on a very different food level than the suggested cookies and beer combo (however satisfying) at Paradis de la BiereCookies at Paradis de la Biere

Price: Paradis de la Biere when there are sales, and Veux-Tu Une Biere? for individual beers.

Like the beer-organization system at Veux-Tu Une Biere, there's also a handy sticker system that tells you the price of each beer in each fridge (and saves the hassle involved of sticking price tags on everything). Paradis de la Biere can have some great sales because they've been around longer, are bigger, have more traffic for Dep items including beer and are more centrally located. At Veux-Tu Une Biere, however, the beer costs less the more you buy. Bulk prices on beer? Again, yes, please.

The only other big difference is that Carl and co-owner Patrice of Veux-Tu Une Biere don't brew and sell their own beer in store like Paradis de la Biere does ("Paradisiac"), but they'll happily walk you through the already enormous selection of the best bottles (and jugs) being produced in the province. Conveniently, both are open everyday for a Dep-like amount of hours.

Thirsty?

Paradis de la Biere (aka Supermarche Rahman)
Where: 151 Laurier West
When: Daily, 8am-11pm
514-279-2566

Veux-Tu Une Biere
Where: 372 rue Liege East
When: Daily, 11am-11pm
514-871-2771

Ryan / January 31, 2011 at 11:22 pm
I haven't been to Veux-Tu Une Biere, but I've been to Rahman and it's great. There's an even more impressive one that's much bigger than Rahman and has a very helpful staff. It's the Boni-Soir on Rachel and Iberville. From the outside you can't tell but inside has a fantastic selection of beer.
Louigi / February 1, 2011 at 09:46 am
Thanks for the heads-up about the new place! Rahman is actually called "Paradis de la bière" and not "Palais de la bière", no (see your picture, above)? (Actually, on the sign it's called Paradis de la biére"...)
Amie replying to a comment from Louigi / February 1, 2011 at 10:22 am
Thanks, Louigi. Dumb mistake to make on my part, but some of the references to it online call it "palais de la biere". Obviously the store's own sign is correct. Tourism Montreal got me a little confused: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blog/nightlife/beer-bottle-paradise-in-montreal/
Ronnie / February 1, 2011 at 11:41 am
PARADIS PARADIS PARADIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theGareth Lewis / February 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm
1. Is the place in St Hubert plaza still there? I loved that one...

2. This site needs more features on indie businesses like this.... it's great.
Scoubidou / February 2, 2011 at 02:45 pm
Another very nice place with a LOT of choice is :

Dépanneur Simon Anthony‎
(Also known as Paradis de la bière)
1349, Rue Beaubien Est
Montreal, QC H2G 1K7
(514) 272-3632
Brett / February 2, 2011 at 07:55 pm
Go to Au Coin Duluth. Veux-tu une bière takes is idea (green-yellow and red tags) from Au Coin Duluth. Come on guys! The best price: AU COIN DULUTH 418 Duluth east (corner St-Denis)
Will / February 2, 2011 at 09:37 pm
anyone see this new place that appeared out of nowhere on St. Laurent near Cafe Pi, with giant windows and a fair selection of microbrews? I think the name had "unique" in it. I only popped in briefly and picked up a Simple Malt sampler. They've got 5.99 PBRs and all sorts of Dieu Du Ciel and some other stuff, didn't look as exhaustive as Rahman, but given how close it is to my house it'll be my winter go-to.

Another excellent one is Depanneur Jose, which may be the same as Au Coin Duluth? Why do all of these places have two names? Maybe they're two different places. But Jose has AMAZING selection, including growlers of Naufrageur which is one of my fave QC beers.
Garry / February 3, 2011 at 06:50 pm
C'est très rassurant pour un gars du Lac qui déménage relativement bientôt à Montréal de savoir qu'on peut y retrouver de La Chouape! (Je suis fan de leur salle de dégustation, passez faire un tour si vous êtes dans le coin de Saint-Félicien!)
Gregory Longere / February 4, 2011 at 04:42 pm
Before I had to get beer either at the SAQ or at a depanneur. But for me, Veux-Tu une bière is not only the place to get awesome beer, but I also get great advice, friendly service and above all else an amazing selection, and I mean HUGE.

I think there's over a hundred kind, and I'm more of the taster genre, so I'm not looking to get drunk over quality beer.

Bottom line, if you haven't visit Veux tu une bière yet, don't be so quick to judge and pay them a visit. They are new and they are here to stay in my opinion. They keep adding more an more quality product and have become a great addition to Villeray.

Go now!
Amie / February 4, 2011 at 04:54 pm
I'm pretty sure Delires du Terroir (the one in Plaza St-Hubert) is still there, unless they shut down very recently.

Garry, vous pouvez aussi trouver La Chouape chez Fromagerie Atwater. Je viens de la voir aujourd'hui. Bienvenue a Montreal!

I completely agree with you, Gregory. Veux-Tu Une Biere is going to make its name by having friendly, knowledgeable service. It's the kind of place you'll end up going out of your way to return to.
Kate Noori / February 4, 2011 at 06:08 pm
Totally agreeing with you Gregory. Veux-tu une bière is an amazing spot where I find great and new beers to taste every week. I live in Villeray, right between this shop and Delires du Terroir, and they both worth the stop. My new personal favorite, La spéciale B of Brouhaha Pub, you should try it (go see at the Paradis de la bière if you find some)...
Vince / February 5, 2011 at 09:53 am
Veux-tu une bière is THE GREATEST!!! They always give me a great deal on amazing beer!!! They also have fresh fish that just melts in your mouth.

Just go see for yourself. Veux-tu une bière? @ 372 rue Liège Est corner of St-Denis.
I ALWAYS BUY MY BEER OVER THERE. I'M HOOKED!
Sarah / February 8, 2011 at 05:28 am
wow. I think I must check this out. Great article Amie! way to go!!!
Blamanche / April 4, 2012 at 01:40 pm
I have to say that the Boni Soir on Rachel and Iberville is as good as the others but does not have an extensive selection of food. There are so many food stores in Mtl that I really don't care about the food at the Beer store. While I like many of the Québec beers these stores are lacking in european and other import selection (they have a few though).
If you have the time a stroll down Mont Royal can be rewarding but you'll have to bounce in and out of several shops. Anyone know if any bars have nice import draught selections?
I have only been living in Mtl for 6 months and still learning the ropes....a ta santé!!
Bill / October 19, 2012 at 10:48 am
The BoniSoir at Rachel and Iberville is Depanneur Peluso
http://www.depanneurpeluso.com/. It has been a stop on my
Visits to Montréal during Mondial for years
furniture legs / February 27, 2014 at 10:27 am
I was recommended this website by my cousin.
I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about
my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!
mental-health-Coop.com / March 5, 2014 at 03:38 pm
Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn.
That is a very neatly written article. I'll be sure
to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful
info. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.
flooring materials / March 24, 2014 at 06:38 am
Hello there! This post could not be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my good old
room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article
to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!
diy solar Panels / April 29, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Hey there! I realize this is somewhat off-topic
however I needed to ask. Does building a well-established website like yours
require a massive amount work? I am brand new to
running a blog but I do write in my diary daily.
I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience
and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring
blog owners. Thankyou!
http://healthbound.ca / May 13, 2014 at 07:27 am
I have learn some just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how a lot attempt you place to make such a fantastic informative website.
weight loss tips / May 14, 2014 at 09:23 am
I do agree with all of the concepts you have offered for your post.
They're really convincing and will certainly work.
Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners.
Could you please extend them a bit from subsequent time?
Thank you for the post.
landscaping images / May 25, 2014 at 01:31 pm
Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your
website and in accession capital to say that I get in fact loved account your weblog posts.
Anyway I'll be subscribing in your feeds or even
I fulfillment you access constantly rapidly.
Survival Gear List / May 28, 2014 at 09:34 pm
Hello Dear, are you actually visiting this web page regularly, if
so then you will absolutely obtain good know-how.
hair loss cream special price 58.30 / June 10, 2014 at 07:02 am
Consult your specialist for additional storage on the precise kind and quantity of food that you just
ought to eat. Because these supplements do
not contain harsh chemicals, it can be used over time
without causing long-term side effects. When running your own home business, it is important that
you have your own office.
igrow laser hair rejuvenation / June 11, 2014 at 01:50 pm
Shock hair loss is generally caused by physician error when doing the treatment,
so picking a physician who understands exactly what they are doing is essential.
A study published in The Journal of Dermatology revealed that chlorine causes discolouration and
a change in hair texture. Hair loss is of concern to most people at one point in their lives.
goalunited cheat / June 27, 2014 at 11:30 pm
Hi there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone
3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog
and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!
Austin Moving And Storage Greenville Sc / June 29, 2014 at 11:05 pm
This way, you can compare companies side by side without incurring any extra
risk. Buying your own home is one of the biggest investments and commitments that most people will experience in a lifetime.
They usually provide long distance mover provides services to the customer who wants it from them.
bathrooms pompano beach hotels / July 15, 2014 at 07:24 pm
If you really want a little gleam to set off the room,
consider using satin finish paint for the trim.
Most plumbing services are available around the clock; therefore, you can call them
at any time of the day or night. A new toilet will give the bathroom an up-date,
sleek touch.
gold's gym affliction clothing amazon / July 31, 2014 at 02:28 am
It improves heart health insurance and makes your entire
entire body feel great. Women are especially susceptible to a
leaky bladder after. These activities work to strengthen muscles,
rebuild endurance, regain proper circulation, and respiration.
cheap yoga camo pants for juniors / August 5, 2014 at 06:30 pm
Other people, who choose yoga that is more energetic or demanding,
get more energy from deep colors like crimson or emerald green. Tantra teaches that lovemaking between a
man and woman, when entered into with Awareness, is
a gateway to both sexual and spiritual ecstasy. They key is finding the one that will relieve your
migraine.
hansen storage company milwaukee wi / August 6, 2014 at 12:39 pm
If you can't search online, then call the secretary of state's office and ask for the articles of incorporation of all the businesses you might be using.
They will need time to get the facts and figures together, so begin as soon as
possible. While dragging on your screen with your mouse and holding shift, you can pull the layer or selected object 45
degrees in any direction.
pompano boynton beach plumbers beach fl / August 8, 2014 at 10:51 am
Nonetheless, you'll find particular benefits on employing laminated countertops.
The i - Phone has several apps that are perfect for dads.
For instance, in preparing for foods, knives might be used.
laser hair regrowth machines / August 18, 2014 at 08:01 pm
Much less pleasant but equally essential is understanding
expertise these kinds of as cleansing dentures, feeding individuals,
having temperatures and measuring catheter output, all of which totally get ready students for the
expertise evaluation test. To get hair loss reviews for both male as well as female hair loss treatments along with extensive advice
ensure that you visit is a fellow sufferer of hair loss and highly recommends the revolutionary Hair - Max Laser Comb
to stop thinning hair. Refrain or limit the amount of heat applied to
your hair through the use of blow dryers, curling irons, straighteners, etc.
But before we can understand the impact of this clothing apparel,
it is important to understand the idea behind yoga.

I loved the trunk of the dress a lot more than the front because of all of the layers of tulle all the way down the train.
Better still: you won't need any fancy home gym equipment to make this workout happen.
marine small freezer units / August 21, 2014 at 01:22 am
Furthermore, feeding live food is difficult as all live meals
have a much higher risk in bringing bad bacteria or microorganisms
that maybe harmful to your fish. Keep in mind the Cooper Mountain resort design their activities.
Of course, lots of methods have evolved to try to avoid spooking fish out
of your swim or even stop them from stopping feeding in the possible case of
some line shy fish, and having them leave your swim.
In the modern times, kitchens have become a vital area of the
house and there are a number of houses where
the kitchen is the place where the women spend a large portion of their daily lives.
The Masterbuilt designers added a drain clip to the fry basket which permits you to hang
the basket on the side of the fryer as the turkey drains and cools.

This is the most deciding factor before you proceed forward.
social media marketing webinar / September 8, 2014 at 08:32 pm
Another way you can update your site is to regularly check and improve
upon your website's SEO status. If you are able to
examine and master new trends, it will be easy to keep your target audience informed
and glued to your site. This one is not so important, just reinforces to
the search engines about what your page content is based on.
moving companies chicago to atlanta / September 9, 2014 at 03:52 am
Process Like Planning to moving, Packing of household goods and
valuable belonging, arrangements of vehicles for transportation, loading, unloading and then unpacking,
rearranging the all household and valuable goods. Our trucks
are clean burning alternative fuel, biodiesel, hundred percent recycled paper products.
and that includes the process of safely transporting
a lifetime of furniture and accessories to a new home.
fake tanning lotions / September 20, 2014 at 12:01 pm
You can try several things to help speed up the process and maybe
even lighten the tan up a little bit. Top of the line bottle of spray
getting brownish naturally solutions typically result in a
stunning bronze tan, nevertheless usually the perfect solution is occurs way too formidable or perhaps
you lose an area. Social studies have shown that men and women both view
a tanned body as being healthier than a tanned body, but it is worth bearing
in mind that if a sunbed is used for more than the recommended amount of time, there is
likely an ugly truth hiding behind apparently healthy tanned skin.
web design / October 31, 2014 at 12:21 am
Admiring the time aand effort you put int your site and in depth information yoou provide.
It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't
the sam outdated rehashed material. Great read! I've saved
your siite and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.
svaniti nel nulla epub / October 31, 2014 at 05:21 am
Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM,Graphic card 512 MB, 6
GB HDD, Window XP/Vista/7.
watch dogs cheats / October 31, 2014 at 08:47 am
The Saint is relatively easy to train but must
be thoroughly socialized and trained while it is young and
hasn't grown too large to handle. Tracking will also be an integral part of dog training; their
ability to recognize specific scents will be critical.
You'll be able to get a bunch of items such as a great ring of
strength, a fire resistance ring and a fire resistant shield.
heroes of olympus book 5 / November 2, 2014 at 07:23 am
I am really enjoying the theme/design of your web site.
Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility
problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my
site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox.

Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?
http://estudiaradistancia.weebly.com / November 11, 2014 at 04:45 am
IIT coaching means lots of hard work, extreme concentration and no distractions.
If you are among the busy people and have a lot
on your plate and therefore need to go through your classes at
a slower pace, you are free to do that. Another important aspect
of studying this field is that students choose this course to
help disadvantaged individuals, groups, and families
through practical assistance, but after completing their study from an online institute, most of
the students fail to interact with disadvantaged people in real life.