Tuesday, November 21, 2017Light Snow -5°C

Strawberry Fields Forever

Posted by Amie / June 28, 2012

strawberry-picking-l'anse-au-sable-quebecThey got it right, those musicians. Sure, they may have been tripping on acid at the time, but that's no reason not to get out of the city and take advantage of Quebec's Pick-Your-Own fruit farms. So that's what I did last Saturday, minus the acid, plus a few friends and their kids. I know, I live life on the edge.

There are only two farms near Montreal with a web presence that offer to let you come and pay and pick strawberries. Only one has a website. It also has a facebook page. That's Quinn Farms on Ile-Perrot, about 30 minutes in low traffic from Montreal. And that's why when we got there around 1pm last Saturday afternoon they were packed and almost out of berries. In fact, we weren't even allowed onto the fields. Fortunately a hop, skip, and a jump down the road was Farm L'Anse au Sable, which you may remember from such posts as "Farmers Market Etiquette, Lesson 3: Don't Have A Baby, Have A Market" - a statement I stand by to this day, even (and especially) after strawberry picking with some of the more adorable youngsters out there.

kid-strawberry-picking-l'anse-au-sable-quebecAnd because relatively no one seems to know about the strawberry farm down the road from the sold out one, at L'Anse au Sable the strawberries were plentiful. There was no rustic farmhouse full of local packaged goods including strawberry pie, sparkling apple cider, and frozen sausages, but there were rows and rows of plump, juicy, pesticide-free strawberries (exponentially more important when you're picking your own anything than when you're just buying at the grocery store).

$10 gets you a basket to fill. That may not seem like much, especially when you can buy a basket of already-picked strawberries for the same amount, but you need to consider two factors:

1. You will stuff your basket more full than the pre-filled baskets
2. You will eat at least $10 worth of strawberries while picking, so you're really paying $5 per basket of berries. One just happens to end up in your stomach, not your basket.

strawberry-picking-l'anse-au-sable-quebec-3It's a little crazy how many strawberries you can eat without thinking about it. "One for me, one for my basket" quickly turns into "2 for me, none for my basket" and suddenly you've eaten about 8 cups of strawberries, all in an effort to scientifically deduce which are the juiciest, sweetest berries. My love of organic food tells me that small berries are sometimes better than unnaturally large berries, but when they're all the same kind of berry, you want to go for the largest, heaviest (the more water and sugar in them, the better), darkest berries. And if you're like me you'll see the ones that are getting a little over-ripe and feel bad for them and want to eat them too before they're too far past their prime and nobody can eat them.

But no! Stick to the absolutely perfect ones. You didn't buy the bad ones at the grocery store and need to eat them before they go bad, saving the others for later. There is no later. There is only now, so choose only perfect berries.

There is a time in life for fruit selflessness. This is not it.

strawberry-picking-l'anse-au-sable-quebec
It takes no time at all to fill a basket, so I actually would recommend picking three baskets instead of picking one and buying two down at the farm stand. Yours will be fresher and they'll all be perfect - no overripe ones or sour, under-ripe ones. Then leave L'Anse au Sable and go back to Quinn Farms where there are picnic tables and have a picnic. Being out in the direct sunlight picking berries probably tuckered you out (I said "tuckered" before I spent last Saturday with parents). The kids, if there are any (though this is apparently very much a kids activity. Quinn Farms even has a kids play area upstairs and you can go into the barn to look at the heritage breed hogs, chickens, and sheep), will either be exhausted or cranky or high on natural sugar, so a pic-a-nic table will be most welcome.

There should be a few more weeks of strawberries at L'Anse au Sable, but call ahead to double-check after the Canada Day weekend. Then you get into raspberry season...mmm...

Quinn Farms is done with strawberries for the year, but here's that handy website again to check out where to pick your own other fruit this summer near Montreal.

BYO-floppy hat to keep the sun off your face.
floppy hat for strawberry picking at l'anse-au-sable quebec

http://delphiaonline.com / December 19, 2012 at 05:26 pm
Might you have additional posts just like this particular 1
called, Strawberry Fields Forever? I wish to read through even a lot more regarding
it. Thanks a lot.
Hi everyone, it's my first pay a quick visit at this web page, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful for me, keep up posting such articles or reviews.
sky digibox frequencies / May 2, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Howdy! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and
tell you I truly enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics?
Thank you!
It's actually very difficult in this active life to listen news on Television, so I only
use web for that reason, and obtain the most up-to-date information.
Lesli / January 25, 2014 at 11:08 am
Allow backorder on out of stock products or hide products
if out of stock. Decide on a web hosting solution that provide numerous databases for you to
accessibility if required. The downside is that it could
imply your website briefly loses its functionality.
free cccam server 2014 / May 3, 2014 at 06:45 am
Thank you, I've just been searching for info about this topic
for a long time and yours is the greatest I have came upon till
now. But, what about the bottom line? Are
you certain about the source?
Sims 3 Island Paradise Free Download / June 4, 2014 at 07:44 am
Great information. Lucky me I ran across your website by chance (stumbleupon).

I've book-marked it for later!
uk dissertations / June 11, 2014 at 01:45 pm
Strawberry Fields Forever
Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have
developed some nice practices and we are looking to trade solutions with other folks, please shoot me an email if interested.
new 503 ????? 503z ???????? / June 21, 2014 at 07:57 am
Wow, this article is good, my younger sister is analyzing
these things, thus I am going to convey her.
Las Vegas Bracelet / September 29, 2014 at 09:14 pm
Asking questions are genuinely nice thing if you are not understanding anything fully, however this article
gives good understanding yet.
Madera county sheriff / October 1, 2014 at 03:32 pm
Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let
you know a few of the images aren't loading properly.
I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it
in two different web browsers and both show the
same outcome.
Suresh Gaddam / October 7, 2014 at 11:00 am
I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility
issues? A handful of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer
but looks great in Opera. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?
Suresh Gaddam / October 7, 2014 at 11:39 am
Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestioins on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
Thanks
nardi furniture / January 9, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Look at thrift shops.
Agen Poker Indonesia / January 17, 2016 at 10:48 am
This exposure has increased poker's popularity many times over and people realize anyone can play and
more and more people join in. If you want Ivey in, bet
smaller pre-flop but make a larger flop bet. He
raises pre-flop to 150,000 from the hijack position.
http://google.net / January 17, 2016 at 06:50 pm
Facts which you have to offer must be correct and so, the financial institution verifies quickly One thing of which helped relieve
the stress of your possibility that individuals could
be called into a showdown at a moment's notice was that the Army took care of the little information of everyday life
free ebook / January 20, 2016 at 10:13 am
To qualify, each player must be a WSOP bracelet-holder.
There's a lot more to it than hedging bets including strategy, bluffing, luck, card counting
and more ways to give the player an advantage. By rumor, strippers had their best night of WSOP action.
Judi Domino / December 31, 2016 at 05:43 am
Website Bandar Taruhan Domino AduQ Asia yang menggunakan uang asli
Uang Rupiah Indonesia. Untuk Menikmati Dalam Online Poker Dapat melakukan Deposit Minimal Rp 40.000,- melalui Bank PERMATA setiap saat sesuai dengan jadwal
online per-bankan Indonesia. Konfirmasi sekarang juga Bonus Cashback Domino Qiu Qiu yang dapat di WD setiap saat
romqibro / January 9, 2017 at 03:10 pm
Strawberry Fields Forever
aromqibro
[url=http://www.gt83v9z5zgd7w8r4ql57bnl696l83l55s.org/]uromqibro[/url]
romqibro http://www.gt83v9z5zgd7w8r4ql57bnl696l83l55s.org/
situs poker rupiah indonesia / April 19, 2017 at 11:50 pm
WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for quebec pick-your-own
Alica / July 27, 2017 at 09:27 pm
I believe this is among the so much important info for me.

And i'm satisfied studying your article. However wanna commentary on few normal issues,
The website style is perfect, the articles is in reality excellent : D.
Excellent activity, cheers