Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Media

The Theory of Flight

Posted by Christy / December 17, 2006

Montreal.jpgAt a Christmas party, tonight, I commented that I thought being forced to throw our liquids in the trash while at airport security was an insult to our intelligence. One of my friends, who is a good-hearted person, replied, "C'mon... they're just trying to keep us safe." That's when I realized that she, like a lot of people, missed a piece of information that showed up in the news three days ago, a piece of information that was buried. Since a lot of you may be flying this Christmas, I thought you might appreciate hearing this too:

The case of the key suspect in the so-called "Liquid Bomb Plot" was thrown out of court last Wednesday, December 13th.

They jailed some poor brown man for carrying a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and congratulated themselves for halting terror. They ruined his life and made airline travel an even bigger hassle than ever before, while enforcing our fear and dependence on our governments with every flight.

So screw that "safe" crap. Just get on the damn plane.

The fact is, no one was ever safe. Today, 155,000 people will still die, just like they usually do, each and every day. The way I see it, the people who die quickly in a spate of freak random violence are a whole hell of a lot luckier than those who live in terror for years on end, wondering when death will grab them. A lot of those people, as a matter of fact, are currently living in Iraq, being bullied by America, while another huge lot of such people are currently living in the slums of American cities, being abandoned by it.

The only thing the so-called "War on Terror" has done is made a few people a whole lot richer and a whole lot of people's lives much, much more frightening--for no good reason.

As my friend offered tonight, "You know what would save even more lives? The War on Moving Violations."

Peter Loewen / December 17, 2006 at 11:27 pm
Hardly. If you read the article you will find that an accomplice in Pakistan had his case there dropped. The case in Britain will proceed.
Christy / December 17, 2006 at 11:54 pm
You're right. I came back here an hour later realizing I might have been jumping the gun a little bit, and have amended the tag to be more precise. At the same time, I say the point still stands: screw this fear nonsense.
Peter / December 18, 2006 at 12:16 am
Agreed. Making me toss my coffee is just arming the Maginot line.
Dave / December 18, 2006 at 08:41 am
ssshhhhhh.....you're not allowed to tell people that airport security is one massive crock. They only really look for the most recent "news item". Remember when you'd have to turn on your computer to make sure it was real? They also used to look through my camera to make sure it was real as well. Heck, remember when I got all the way to Glasgow with fire cracker in my carry-on?

The fact is, if someone want's to crash a plane, they'll find a way to do it. I won't post the easiest ways here, just so I don't get a knock on my door.
Christy / December 18, 2006 at 08:53 am
I'm actually a little bit nervous to be posting things like this publicly, because I'm days away from sending in my application for Permanent Residency under the Family Class. You never know what could come back to haunt you these days. But, I figure, you gotta be the change, right?

My boyfriend also frequently points out the folly of everyone dumping so-called "potentially explosive chemicals" in one bin in the middle of the thickest throng at security. What an EXCELLENT idea.
Omar / December 18, 2006 at 10:28 am
Forget the war on moving violations, we're too busy fighting wars for oil to care.

I agree Christy. Every time I tell stories to people about being targeted and near anally-probed by airport security and border patrols, there's always that person saying "well they are doing it for our security."

Why then do we continue to be scared and insecure?
Christy / December 18, 2006 at 02:18 pm
Man, Omar, that is such bullshit. I got "randomly searched" this last time I flew. Maybe it WAS random. In my case, they patted me down from KNEECAP to ANKLE and called it good. I thought it was a fucking embarrassment. OH THANKS NOW I FEEL MUCH SAFER KNOWING YOU CARE.

But if a brown dude gets randomly TARGETED... near anal-probe, you say? Really. Well that's just wonderful.

All of this actually makes me feel MUCH more scared and insecure.
Lady M / December 19, 2006 at 05:29 am
Flying back to Montreal (from London Heathrow) this Saturday for Christmas, and will be the first time I've flown since the whole liquid bomb scare thing took off... But even before that, every time I fly home, it's only the "brown" ones that ever seem to get chosen for the "random" passenger searches just as we board the plane...
Christy / December 19, 2006 at 11:28 am
I would love to tell you to STICK IT TO 'EM if they try to make you dump your coffee, but I know that there's no way, I, personally, would have the guts.

Just get home safe. And here's to having an uneventful flight.
golu dolls / March 21, 2019 at 12:24 am