Monday, September 23, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Media

Free Much More Retro For A Month

Posted by Dave / February 16, 2007

billy60.jpgFor those of you that chose to spend these cold snowy days locked indoors watching TV, Much More Retro is currently being offered for free to Videotron Illico subscribers (channel 120 on my box), and I can't get enough of it. Unfortunately it makes several things blindingly clear.

Firstly, I'm old. How is it that things I loved when I was 18 are now considered Retro? What is the official time limit for something to start being presented under the "hey, remember this?" way of thinking? "Of course I remember it, it was only......crap, has it been that long?"

Secondly, there is the fact that not only have there been some incredibly good Pop songs over the past 25 years (both George Michael's "Faitha Faitha Faitha" and Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" are freakin' fantastic!), but there has also been so many horrible releases over the years that it makes me feel kind of queezy (think Bros and....well.....Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl").

Thirdly, Cancon. Yes, I do need to hear Summer of 69 (hehe....69) 7 times a day. However, I do NOT need to hear Life Is A Highway 10 times a day. Here's an idea, replace a few of the Life Is A Highway rotations with Safety Dance.

Fourth, Alanis' "Too Hot". Can't get enough of it!

The free trial of Much More Retro runs until March 18th, so enjoy it while you can. But I'm sure by then I'll be tired of hearing those same songs over and over again.

"...woh oh oh oh oh oh oh Uptown Girl...."

OJ / February 16, 2007 at 01:00 pm
I happened upon the channel last weekend and the first video I saw was Soundgarden, followed soon after by Safety Dance. I'm not ashamed to say I danced...and then I felt old.
scott / February 16, 2007 at 03:13 pm
YAY! safety dance! i want ivan to write for mid-pouts (he lives in victoria now, so its PERFECT!). i have also been watching this stuff, and saw the 'wedge' a coupla nights ago, and it was ALSO like a retro show. all new bands and songs, etc, except one was exactly like a cure song, another exactly like a bauhaus song, etc. of note: nothing even remotely like men without hats. a-wah-ho!
OJ / February 16, 2007 at 04:08 pm
Shouldn't we be getting Musique Plus Retro? I could do with some early 90's Mitsou this weekend.
Trixie / February 17, 2007 at 05:32 am
Now this is news I can use! To think I might never have stumbled upon it! First video I saw (speaking of Cancon): Bruce Cockburn's "If I Had a Rocket Launcher"--Now that took me back. I remember how shocking it was to have Bruce get all Bad Ass all of a sudden. Next song: Dance Hall Days--oh Wang Chung!--such a regrettable name, and yet your only real hit still reminds me of being in grade 6 and for the first time sensing what it might be like to feel cool. Then--and this really surprised me--Lemonhead's "It's A Shame About Ray": brought me forward in history (but, sheesh, still an amazingly long time ago) to a time when I felt all growed up and, finally, truly was cool (or so I liked to think). We thought Evan Dando was sooo cute: love that scraggly-indie-boy-just-hit-over-the-head-with-a-frying-pan look!

My new best-ever inspiration: I'm going to post my memories of every video that comes on until I finally get to see Safety Dance.
Don't think that I won't!!!
Dave / February 17, 2007 at 12:10 pm
Man, Wings' Band On The Run was just on. Freakin' awesome! I LOVE WINGS! In true Cancon fashion, it's been followed with Crash Test Dummies' Androgynous.
OJ / February 18, 2007 at 11:53 pm
There's been a Meatloaf video on for the last 12 minutes. Remember Meatloaf?
Dave / February 19, 2007 at 10:12 am
I saw that. In true Meatloaf fashion, I couldn't tell if it was a video or an hour long documentary.

Still lovin' it.