Tuesday, September 17, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Media

Joyeux Jeudi - News for Mar. 15, 2007

Posted by Jer / March 15, 2007

20070315arcade.jpg
Here's what's going down in town.

The fallout from the leader's debate on Tuesday night continues as Mario Dumont continues to push the issue regarding the Liberals' neglect of the decaying Laval overpass. The mainstream media reflect on who won or lost the debate but no one seems particularly concerned with what was actually said. Rather, what counts is who looked good and who had the best one-liner.

Kudos to the Gazette for picking up this one-liner though (can't find an online link, sorry). André Boisclair, referring to growing economies in China and India, told a group of students yesterday: "The reality is these countries are not just working to create jobs in sweatshops. When I was in Boston [...] I was surprised to see that on campus about one-third of the students doing their bachelor's degrees had slanting eyes". Is this reasonable accommodation, reasonable stereotyping or just reasonably insulting?

Distinguished McGill philosopher Charles Taylor became even more distinguished yesterday as he was awarded the $1.5-million Templeton Prize, the world's largest cash award given to an individual, with the exception of whatever Richard Branson is offering people to figure out how to open the first viable CD retail store on the moon.

MP insider John MacFarlane has some interesting posts up about the conference portion of South by Southwest. It turns out music fests aren't just about rock and beer.

Alex Kovalev has vertigo, Lachine has barricades and the Arcade Fire has the # 1 selling CD in Canada and #2 in the U.S. Let the hipster backlash begin.

photo from flickr user leonzerider

Jer / March 15, 2007 at 02:11 pm
Thanks Josh. Apparently my google is lazier than yours.
Christopher DeWolf / March 15, 2007 at 08:59 pm
I assume the Gazette's "slanted eyes" was a translation of <i>yeux bridés</i> a term that is used quite commonly in the francophone media to refer to Asians.

Now, I'm wary of wading in here with my anglophone cultural baggage. Maybe <i>yeux bridés</i> is inherently less offensive than "slanted eyes" or worse, "slanty-eyed." But it still seems to me like there is a greater tolerance of these kinds of racial caricatures in francophone society than there is on the anglo side of things. Perhaps this is because Asians remain rare in French-Canadian society, especially compared to how well-represented (and vocal) they are in English-Canadian and American society. There just aren't enough French-speaking Asian people in Quebec to really combat these kinds of casually racist, or at least Orientalist and exoticizing, remarks.
Jer / March 16, 2007 at 09:25 am
Yeah. I've been following the press this morning on the issue and I get that there are expressions that may be more or less offensive in different languages and cultural contexts. In principle, I think I'm ok with that. It just seems that linking racial descriptions to physical attributes, no matter how common it may be, represents a negative perspective on dealing with difference (especially when it's most often non-white races that get characterized this way).
Hugo / March 16, 2007 at 09:35 am
Ok. Franco-Asians might not be as present in the media, but trust me on many accounts that there are more Franco-Asians than Anglo-Asians in Montreal. I cant find a stat at the moment but growing up in the public school system, Asian was probably the third-most minority.

In the ame line of thinking I would say that there are more Anglo-Italians than Franco ones. Too bad, I got no stats. But will look it up.
Fairfax / March 16, 2007 at 01:29 pm
I would agree with Hugo... in Montreal, at least, I would guess the Franco-Asian population probably outnumbers the Anglo-Asian population, mostly due to the huge Vietnamese presence. I remember a newspaper headline 7-8 years ago about how "Nguyen" had passed "Tremblay" as the most common last name on the island of Montreal.
Amir / February 3, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Hey I know how you feel, My name is Jeffrey Kimura, and I live in Los Angeles, My father is jaspaene, and my mother is salvadoran. Crazy mix. You're not alone. SoCal Hapas!!!
golu dolls / March 15, 2019 at 11:37 pm