Monday, May 27, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Media

Thursday Tips - News for Apr. 5/07

Posted by Jer / April 5, 2007

20070405snowy.jpgFor anyone thinking of going outside today, don't. There is a fresh batch of snow and slush mixed in with the recently thawed doggy droppings, making driving, walking, or biking sketchy.

For those of you who thought it was cheaper to shop at small locally owned stores, it turns out this study proves you wrong. The bigger the store, the cheaper the groceries. The Gazette's take away message seems to be: Quick, everyone, to Loblaws! More interesting is La Presse's run down on how damn expensive eating properly is, especially for Montreal's lower income households.

To folks hoping to get out and shop for cars on the weekend, don't bother. 61% of dealers prefer sales-free weekends. In fact, for anyone looking to do any shopping this weekend should be sure to thank Easter for screwing up your regular schedule.

If you were out looking for the infamous ad man, Jean LaFleur, don't worry the cops have him.

And if you miss 1992, you have just a few more days to buy advance tickets for the Osheaga festival. The Smashing Pumpkins are not only back together (Damn you alternative music...I thought you would stay pure), they are headlining the second edition of the music fest.

Finally, for those in need of inspiration, check out this local dude, who is the latest net sensation. The YouTube clip shows him trying to stop some fool from dumping his cigarette butts on the street. Can someone take a video of me picking up after my neighbour's dog craps on my lawn and throwing it? I think YouTube will love it.

Marcus / April 5, 2007 at 10:51 am
Screw that stupid little study which assumes transportation has no cost. Getting to a 30,000-square-foot store from my house would require a metro and two buses, meaning I wouldn't have a hope in hell using my transfer for the return trip. So throw in another $5.50 to the Loblaws bill and that don't sound so hot anymore, Mr Big-box store.

Jesus I think I'm through shopping at Osheaga too.
OJ / April 5, 2007 at 11:10 am
Big grocer = cheaper? No shit. Next article they'll be telling us that Walmart is a great place to buy everything at a bargain price.
Cait / April 5, 2007 at 01:03 pm
I never get stuff at local grocers because it's cheaper; I get it because it's healthier. I hate the obsession with cost.
rrrobyn / April 5, 2007 at 01:25 pm
i think super c's fluorescent lighting eats yr soul and then makes you try to replace it with joe louis snack cakes and generic lemon-lime carbonated beverage and tubs of gummi bears.

you can fight it though. you can make it, like, your cat litter + toilet paper store. and you can ride you bike there. and then go to the atwater market. win!
Fairfax / April 5, 2007 at 03:33 pm
Only reason I like to shop at smaller local stores is because more of the profits and taxes and employment generated by my spending stay local. But I always knew it was more expensive...
kirsten / April 7, 2007 at 07:23 pm
No way are bigger stores cheaper. I admit that with getting my grains at Le Frigo Vert, my fruit & veggies at Jean Talon, and all my other stuff at Frenco's and Segal's grocery shopping sometime involves a bit of planning and a lot of running around, but after figuring out where the cheap stuff is, Loblaw's seems downright expensive. Plus, after buying everything last time it turned out we live 2 blocks past the cut-off point for delivery - so add $10 for a cab home and yeah, definitely not worth it.
Kumari / February 4, 2015 at 02:41 am
there are no words. flo was the act i was most excited for, and her peoamrrfnce was stunning. she performed at sunset on friday and despite the heat and the fact that i have never felt so claustrophobic in my life, it was by far the highlight of the weekend. it was everything i wanted it to be and even though she didn't play a few key songs i was hoping for (heartlines, heavy in your arms), she made up for it with some of my favourites including cosmic love, dog days are over (a big crowd pleaser seeing everyone dance to this was awesome) and her latest single spectrum.
golu dolls / March 14, 2019 at 04:10 am