Saturday, January 18, 2020Light Snow -5°C
Media

This Week in Blogs for May 17 – STM Strike

Posted by Scott / May 17, 2007

going-going-gone-2.jpgIt would seem that the STM Transit Strike is as inevitable as endless Spiderman sequels (and probably about as predictable).

According to the Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board, the strike is planned for May 22 (this coming Tuesday), and will seriously curtail bus and Metro service during the week, and completely eliminate Metro service on the weekend.

But is there hope of a strike being avoided? Uh...probably not...

The Montreal City Weblog reports on last-minute discussions to decide what STM services are considered “essential” (and therefore remain mandatory services to operate), which is a provision apparently not included in the 2003 transit strike and brought the city to a halt.

However, it does not look like these discussions will avert the strike. What's the inside story, you may be asking?

Metroblogging Montreal has posted an interesting response from an STM worker, who has an inside view of the strike proceedings. It is worth reading for an alternative understanding of the impetus behind the strike, and the perspective of the STM workers. While it may not change how you feel when you cannot get from point A to point B (or Pointe-Saint-Charles) as easily, this response at least lets you know that the STM workers recognize the impact of the strike.

Either way, this may be a good week to try out some of Montreal’s new bike paths. Good luck!

Vila H. / May 17, 2007 at 02:08 pm
Thanks for the link, Scott. I imagine there'll be more coverage on MB Montreal in the days ahead, so be sure to check in with us as the strike date approaches.
scott / May 17, 2007 at 02:58 pm
Right on. I'll pack a lunch and some water, and ride my bike over to check out yr blog.

The irony of the STM strike is that the city has made some pretty progressive plans for the transit system, just as it is grinding to a halt (bio-diesel, trams, bike paths, etc.)
Richard Owen / May 17, 2007 at 11:50 pm
Bike sales will be huge.
scott / May 18, 2007 at 12:04 pm
as will bike thefts, sadly.
stm sucks / May 18, 2007 at 11:38 pm
don't pay ur tickets if they strike
Sami / May 19, 2007 at 08:33 pm
I guess we'll be seeing some Crosby, Stills and Nash fans outside of metro stations and on the streets of Montreal this Spring...

scott / May 20, 2007 at 12:34 pm
i was wondering about those protesters. i really thought it was some new 'street team' marketing technique for a new kind of pretzel. either way, whether i support the strikers or not, when i see them i end up REALLY craving some salty snack foods and some classic 70s cali-rock. what's that sound? everybody look what's going down (it's pretzels).
Andrew S / May 21, 2007 at 05:59 pm
This is the worst way for the STm workers to strike! punish the very users that give all these people jobs?? Why not do the exact opposite, punish the stm, award the users, how? simply by "forgetting to" collect tolls from the users, let everyone on busses and metros for free
Allen / May 22, 2007 at 12:41 am
yea really. they are punishing their "source of job" and not the company. what a bunch of idiots
Kat Brown / May 22, 2007 at 12:09 pm
Cheers STM spoilt brat union workers,
I am 9 months pregnant and cannot afford a taxi to the Royal Vic there and back, the metro is my only way. I will be missing my appointment today as I have no other mode of transportation....Maybe I should just walk all the way from N.D.G. or maybe the union wants to pay for my taxi!
Nice one!
Tim Lefebvre / May 22, 2007 at 02:03 pm
I think we should start our own strike called "strike the strike" we can get on busses, metros, etc. with picket signs saying protesting the strike. That way we would show we are not being taken hostage, and will not be used in a way for the STM to get what they want.

I couldn't care less what they have to say, they'll be costing thousands of Montrealers work and education. I think We should stand up for our rights.
zach / May 22, 2007 at 02:05 pm
if you cant afford a taxi now I doubt you will be able to afford the baby
zach / May 22, 2007 at 02:05 pm
if you cant afford a taxi now I doubt you will be able to afford the baby
Kat Brown / May 22, 2007 at 02:50 pm
Wow Zach thanks for sounding like such a wanker...it's not the point moron! $40.00 versus $5.00 is a lot for some people. Don't you dare make assumptions about what I personally can and cannot afford. Grow up. I was only trying to make a point. These transport workers are on strike quite often and it's always for more money, more benefits. Maybe they should start working on their customer service skills if they are going to be paid extra the S.T.M workers in Montreal are always pretty rude and unfriendly. Not good for Montreal tourism.
Lets strike the strike!! I'm with ya Tim. Zach...lighten up.
alex / May 22, 2007 at 04:25 pm
I'm sick of the STM stealing away more and more money from people (yes, that includes me). If the STM workers wanted a higher-paying job, maybe they should have gone to university...
Sami / May 22, 2007 at 10:47 pm
Actually Alex, the STM maintenance workers make an average of around $55,000. That's more than what a lot of university grads I know make...
scott / May 23, 2007 at 11:03 am
I've seen a memo released by the STM head office reminding people that the ticket takers, bus drivers and metro drivers are NOT the ones striking. I guess they understand that these guys are the face of the strike to many Montrealers. My advice: climb down into the tracks and down the subway tunnels until you find an STM worker that IS directly responsible.
Evan / May 23, 2007 at 01:19 pm
Yea i have a friend and her add is a electrician for STM and she told me that its the maintenance crew who want a bigger salaray casue they havent had a salary increase in five years while the cost of living has increased, (keep in mind this is just what a friend told me so don't get mad if i made a mistake)
Evan / May 23, 2007 at 01:20 pm
sorry DAD not add
scott / May 23, 2007 at 01:56 pm
i believe they've also been without a contract since january. that's pretty hard to take.
SickOfEm / May 24, 2007 at 11:54 am
These spoiled brats make me wanna puke. They get paid like $60 000 a year to drive a public bus, where I come from in Ontario, bus drivers get maybe 20 something grand a year. Here, they're treated like royalty - you are a bus driver, not a highly placed politician. I say someone picks off 3 or 4 of these mechanics, and they'll resign their contract quit fast. I just wanna say f*&k you to these lazy mechanics, they already make too much as it is, if they wanted to make more they should've gone to university / college or been escorts like their wives.
J Mac / May 24, 2007 at 04:12 pm
SickOfEm, again, as noted above in these comments, the people on strike are not bus drivers. It's only the maintenance workers. (And I'd love to find the Ontario town or city where bus drivers get paid under $30,000 a year. Is that town permanently stuck in 1982?) Note also that mechanics in general make a lot of dough, because fixing vehicles and machinery is not easy. Even if they don't go to university/college, most of them spend years learning their trade.
Pwhndvve / August 9, 2008 at 12:36 pm
Honi soit look closer <a href=http://bebo.com/CytotecB9/>;buy cytotec</a> meat steamed daughters.
setharial / December 16, 2009 at 06:59 pm
Oh man, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who gets the “you CAN’T be that far along, you’re hardly showing!”
seermeals / May 28, 2011 at 02:39 am
Cool, it's well, to be tomorrow ...