Friday, September 20, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

Sparklehorse lacks Shine

Posted by Omar / February 28, 2007

20070228_setlist.jpgSo many Toronto uber-hipsters hailed Sparklehorse as the second coming of 90's music, that I decided, without really giving them a chance, that I'd rather hate them.

A few years ago, while lounging in a friend's bar, I heard some strange, spooky music that sounded like a music box on crack. In musical euphoria, I asked after the band...of course, the answer was Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life. I began to love them.

I've got that album in my collection now, and I take it out on special days, along with other strange birds like Mark Hollis, Pharoah Sanders, or Swordfishtrombones by Tom Waits - who also happens to guest vocal on the occasional Sparklehorse song.

So I was eager to see what the Sparklehorse project would be like live. Knowing the band to be the brain-child of tortured artist Mark Linkous, I wondered how their sonic brilliance would translate on stage. I got to find out at Club Soda last Saturday.

Alright, so I was a bit disappointed. It was merely a typical rock show. Sparklehorse played as if they were a run-of-the-mill band,producing a kind of run-of-the-mill sound. Sure the songs sounded pretty and there were some sublime moments, but all in all the show felt lazy and rushed. I like short shows, and even I was suprised at the hour running time.

The highlight was the show closer, Homecoming Queen, which seemed to fill the room with the quiet crackle and buzz that typifies the Sparklehorse sound. Don't end it there, forgodsakes, that's where the show should've gotten started!

Oh well, sometimes it's better to just put on those great records on those great afternoons where all you have to do is tune out and listen.

Sparklehorse playing Hammering the Cramps at Club Soda on Feb 24th.

P.S. I got busted by security for videotapping the show, but they were kind enough to let me keep my tape, so enjoy this forbidden video clip and wonder, as I did, why Mark Linkous needed to have a wind machine blasting at him.

Cait / February 28, 2007 at 11:21 am
Wait, Tom Waits does vocals on some Sparklehorse songs?
biggeorges / March 9, 2007 at 03:57 pm
Do you have more of this video? I was stuck in USA and missed this much anticipated show. I would love to see it
Rose / February 4, 2015 at 02:10 am
Jennie - Thanks, I suppose I am. Hope you're feneilg a hell of a lot better these days, my dear.Radge - Is it really worth buying the films for tunes that can, presumably, be heard elsewhere? I nearly posted the Needle in the Hay suicide sequence from The Royal Tenenbaums here, but that would've given entirely the wrong impression.Kitty Cat - Thank you, so's your face.Conan - Yep, you're dead right. a few days in the Alps should tick most of those boxes.Emordino - Having not gotten around to the Baader-Meinhof Complex yet I'm not entirely sure what you're on about. But I reckon it'd be a fair assumption that you have one of those I HEARD ARCADE FIRE BEFORE YOU t-shirts lurking somewhere in your wardrobe.Tessa - crossed extremities are much appreciated, but I didn't get the job, sadly (see next post for bitter analysis of this).Believe me, the only problem with enjoying Rosie's company so much is that I now don't enjoy social occasions much when she's not there. Which makes me an awful sack altogether.
golu dolls / March 17, 2019 at 11:22 pm