Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

Krista Muir/Shane Watts Band at Cagibi

Posted by Olivier / March 16, 2008

cagibiMP.jpg
Do you like a slickly produced show, packed with throngs of people dancing in the dark? Then don't go to the Cagibi, a Bar/Restaurant/Cafe/Performance Venue on St. Viateur. The brightly lit, eclectically decorated venue is low on pretension, frills, and people under 25, and loaded with folksy charm. Appropriately enough, so was the performance of Krista Muir on Saturday night.

It's hard to say if Muir was simply adjusting to her surroundings, but her performance on Saturday was as casual as having a friend play in your living room. She was so at ease that a forgotten lyric or a misplayed note was nothing but an opportunity for a laugh with the audience. This confidence isn't surprising given Muir's previous incarnation as Lederhosen Lucil, an alter-ego that toured for years with success in Europe and North America. She has now shed the over-the-top character for a folksy, ukulele-centered musical re-birth.

I have to point out that, just as "guy with guitar" reached it's saturation point in the music industry a long time ago, "girl with ukulele" is also starting to wear a little thin. There is just something about a ukulele that does not make for particularly powerful live performances, unless it's used sparingly and in tandem with other instruments. In fact, Muir's best peformance on Saturday may have been a song she wrote in Greek, played on an interesting string/synthesizer-type contraption. Even Muir's most arresting song, the beautiful "Leave Alright", sounds better on the recording than in concert. However, she did have a great cover version of David Bowie's "As the World Falls Down" from the Labyrinth soundtrack, and the ukulele did add a nice touch to the cover. Unfortunately, no Labyrinth quotes were included. You remind me of the babe...

The Shane Watt Band included Krista Muir, and their set of songs were enjoyable if not harmless acoustic ballads that left me in a pleasant mood as I left Cagibi. Shane Watt and especially Muir are warm and friendly performers, and, while It was the anti-thesis of an adrenaline-inducing Saturday night, considering I start my St. Patrick's festivities at 8 am Sunday morning, it was probably exactly what I needed.

John / March 20, 2008 at 04:41 am
hahaha PLEASE tell me this was written ironically:
"The brightly lit, eclectically decorated venue is low on pretension, frills, and people under 25, and loaded with folksy charm"

To be clear, we are both talking about the Cagibi, the gathering place of Montreal's hipster elite, as displayed in the photograph right?
O / March 20, 2008 at 01:41 pm
Let's see, I can't vouch for sure that the bald guy in the picture and the other guy with the old navy sweater are "Montreal's hipster elite", but then again, I have a hard time understanding who the "hipsters" are these days. I'd point to the Sala Rossa/Casa del popolo connection as one of the epi-centres of Pop Montreal-type hipsterdom, but Cagibi strikes me more as a place for artsy/folksy types.

Out of curiosity what is your definition of hipster?
5500 watt generator / February 8, 2010 at 07:56 am
Thanks to you I dont look like an idiot. I had an argument with my wife and this proves I was right. Thanks!
EfFilteltep / November 27, 2013 at 08:58 pm
A single fantastic online marketing instrument is always to offer potential clients a free mobile phone consultation well before they buy one of your services or goods. If folks familiarize yourself with you privately, it will be simpler for them to buy your goods. You may set up personalized contacts with the customers that can improve your reputation along with the reputation of your company. nike air max 90
Rinse off your mouth out with 3Per cent hydrogen peroxide solution every evening after you clean your pearly whites. 3Percent peroxide option would be a light bleaching agent so it will help to help keep your pearly whites white colored, it is additionally really cheap you will be able to grab a container inside your nearby pharmacy for under $2. nike air max 90
Be sure you probably know how more service fees you incur, if you select to "roll-over" your loan. It may seem you happen to be providing on your own more hours to pay the financing back again, however you are also experiencing a lot more service fees on the bank account. Ask what charges are involved, within a rollover prior to do one particular. nike air max 90
Ensure that you have got a great web site. Almost everything on your own web site ought to consist of effectively-written content. Your composing is really what can really make or bust you. In the event the content is sparse or significantly deficient "physique," that will dissuade website visitors and you will miss out on potential sales and website traffic. nike air max 90
When designing a website with many different written text, select your fonts wisely. Although serif written text works nicely to get a headline or head line, our bodies of the textual content should be inside a serif typeface, which can be easier to continue reading a personal computer display screen. Use popular pc fonts such as Occasions New Roman and Ariel. Take your young ones food shopping and allow them to assist with dish planning and developing the grocery list. It is a fantastic chance to make them learn about budgeting in the region of food. Because they learn how to make a price comparison, get good deals, and make use of coupon codes, they will be achieving abilities they may use for life. nike air max 90

Uke song Chords / January 13, 2014 at 06:44 am
Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant opinion, piece of writing is nice, thats why i
have read it completely
Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I
find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to present something back and help others like you aided me.
Eriberht / February 4, 2015 at 08:04 am
11 fe9vrier 2010, 2:45 Salut Aure9lien (content de te voir parmi mes lecteurs: je pouracrs moi-meame re9gulie8rement le tien ).Tu n as pas tort dans le raisonnement mais tout e7a reste de la the9orie. Et si on suit ce chemin, on ne passe jamais e0 l action (et je ne parle pas du tunnel de Friggit )!Pendant que beaucoup de monde s effore7ait de crier e0 la bulle immobilie8re depuis les anne9es 2005, j ai re9alise9 une ope9ration qui fut la plus lucrative pour moi (plus de 100% de plus-value, je pourrais retrouver les chiffres pre9cis).Et tout le monde pre9disait l e9clatement de la bulle avec un effondrement des prix comme en 1991: re9sultat, on a, au vu des chiffres, un le9ger affaissement tout au plus!Par ailleurs, je pense qu il faut garder dans mon cas, 4 facteurs pre9cis en teate:_ l offre et la demande: et c est encore largement de9se9quilibre9 sur le secteur sur lequel je me concentre (petites surfaces + centre-ville de grandes me9tropoles)_ la revente e0 court terme: en admettant que le marche9 baisse, il faudrait une sacre9e catastrophe pour qu il perde plus de 5 voire meame 10% en 6 mois_ je ne cherche pas e0 survendre mon bien (le proble8me dans beaucoup de transactions qui ve9ge8tent sur le marche9): je fais ma plus-value e0 l achat_ comme un commere7ant, j ai une marge be9ne9ficiaire (que je vais tenter d optimiser gre2ce aux travaux): me placer e0 un prix de revente agressif me fera gagner un peu moins d argent mais pas en perdre (un commere7ant qui fait une remise vendra le produit de suite, e7a ne signifie pas qu il vendra e0 perte!).(A noter d ailleurs qu on peut avoir un raisonnement parfaitement paralle8le sur de l investissement locatif).
LayneTLatten / August 3, 2016 at 08:51 am
Howdy! This can be my first trip to your website!
We have been a team of volunteers and starting a fresh initiative inside a community inside the same niche.

Your website provided us valuable information to work on. You might have done a
marvellous job!