Thursday, November 14, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

Let's Talk: Land of Talk @ Sala this Friday

Posted by Jer / September 18, 2008

20080918lot.jpg
You will kick yourself for not going to Sala Rosa on Friday night. One day soon, Land Of Talk will rule the Canadian rock music landscape, and you will wonder why you didn't spend a few measly dollars to see them at such an intimate venue. The band is launching their second album Some Are Lakes, but be warned, the songs take no prisoners.

Take the title track, for example (featured in this week's podcast).

There's no way to listen to it without having the haunting chorus lodged in the crevices of your brain for days. Produced by the gifted Bon Iver (a.k.a Justin Vernon), the album is an honest, straight-up exercise in no-bullshit rock. Lead singer Elisabeth Powell has a voice that's both intense and fragile. It's no wonder her vocal chords have recently been recruited by Toronto's always expanding Broken Social Scene.

Land of Talk's debut album, Applause Cheer Boo Hiss, received critical acclaim, but not nearly enough. Get out on Friday and give their new album the reception it deserves.

Land of Talk CD Release Party
@ Sala Rosa
Fri. Sept. 19th
w The D'Urbervilles

photo of land of talk's leading lady taken by joseph yarmush

Fairfax / September 20, 2008 at 08:51 am
Jer... I went to this show based solely on your recommendation (and liking the tunes from the podcast). I think I actually liked the slightly quieter/more melodic sound of openers The D'Urbervilles to the harder wall of sound from Land of Talk. But there's no doubt Elisabeth Powell has got IT - the voice, and a certain charisma and presence. Thanks for the recommendation.
Jer / September 22, 2008 at 09:01 am
Yeah. D'urbervilles are good too, especially live. There's recorded stuff hasn't grabbed me as much, but I'm looking forward to seeing them again at Pop.

And yeah, I should have warned you about the wall of sound that is Land of Talk. The other track of theirs I could have played is much louder and perhaps more indicative of their sound all around. But no matter whether they are playing loud or quiet, Powell is worth seeing. I'm glad you thought so too.

(and thanks for the update cuz I am still kicking myself for missing it)
jekyl / September 22, 2008 at 11:24 pm
I'm utterly confounded by the ecstatic praise being heaped on this band. Yes Elizabeth Powell is charming and cute and has a very commanding stage presence but the performance was in a word: meh. The band wavers from twee to a mis-mashed re-hash of pitchfork blessed "innovators". I was completely underwhelmed. I sincerely do not see it. There are many talented bands in the city. Why on earth Land of Talk are being crowned our city's new wunderkids is beyond me. It is sad and disheartening. Let's hope they fade as quickly as they're blowing up.
Muhadjer / February 5, 2015 at 01:29 am
Hi we want to sign our son, Max, up for some classes he just tnured 2 in October. When will the 2 year old classes be held? Obvioulsy for the Winter III session. Thank you!!!
golu dolls / February 9, 2019 at 09:42 pm