Thursday, November 14, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

The Dandy Warhols - Club Soda - Sept. 14

Posted by Valerie / September 15, 2008

dandywarhols2.gif
The Dandy Warhols supposedly started off s a group of friends wanting to make music to drink to. True or not, that’s exactly what last night’s show at Club Soda made me want to do – drink beers, smoke cigarettes, and overall let my inner rockstar attitude out.

The show started off with a spacey intro and got everyone in the crowd quite excited. Most people found in the audience seemed to fit in the 25-35 age-group, and were almost as enthusiastic as a group of teenagers at a Boys Noize concert. Right next to me was a very annoying (and possibly drunk) man who kept yelling extremely intelligent comments such as “Cooome oooooon!” and “The Dandy Warhooooools!” (as if they didn’t know what their band own was called?). Also, another guy standing next to me ended up fainting - I don’t know if he had too much to drink or if he was just a very emotional Dandy Warhols fan.

dandywarhols.gif
What got my attention, other than the crowd, were the captivating visuals. The band had eight giant light panels standing behind them showing colorful patterns and moving images all night. It was a good thing these lights were moving, because the band itself wasn't moving at all. The Dandy Warhols play their songs almost back to back, with very minimal crowd-interaction and a nonchalant attitude.

As for the songs, we got to hear a few okay tracks from their new album, “Earth to the Dandy Warhols”. Frontman Courtney Taylor(-Taylor) tried his best to sing half of a song in French but despite the efforts, it just sounded awful. Also on the setlist: classics like “Bohemian Like You”, “We Used To Be Friends” (I’m still wondering if that song is about Anton Newcombe?), “Get Off”, “Sleep” and “All The Money Or The Simple Life Honey”. After a nearly two-hour show, I was still waiting for them to play my personal favourite, “Not If You Were the Last Junkie on Earth”, but I was out of luck.

Short clip of "Bohemian Like You"

The rockstar attitude was on until the very end of the show when the band clearly notified us they would not be coming back on stage for an encore – which was fine with me since I find the “encore” concept a bit ridiculous.

It’s true The Dandy Warhols are not an impressive band with remarkable talent. However, they’ve been able to make a living out of being true indie-rockers for fifteen years now, and that’s good enough for me.

First photo taken from the band's Myspace.

anonymous / September 16, 2008 at 10:56 am
I was also at the show with a friend of mine and we left after only 4 songs because they sucked soooooo much ! I think that Darker My Love kicked their asses and that the Dandy's should put their act together and stop drinking because it's not all the musician that could get drunk and play at the same time.
anne / September 16, 2008 at 12:28 pm
i'm from portland oregon. i fucking hate the dandy warhols. i have no idea why people continue to go to their shows! those assholes don't need any more of your money.
Jase / September 17, 2008 at 09:16 pm
First I hav eno idea what the fuck the "anonymous" person was talking about. You must hav ebeen with your friend 'Anne'. The two of you have NO CLUE what good music is or what it could sound like! To all those who do read this, and where at the concert no that it was amazing, seeing that they had just played and insane show in Toronto the night before. And our good friend Anne from Portland must be jaded, cause that's what it sounds like. One last thing, 'Darker My Love' not only have they been HEAVLY influenced by the Warhols, but if you ever got the chance to see them when they first started, one might say that 'Darker My Love' STOLE the image and presence the Warhols brought to the crowd when they first started out.....I know, cause I've followed this band from the begining. SO if your gonna make a comment, know what the FUCK your talkin about!!!!
Jase / September 17, 2008 at 09:17 pm
First I have no idea what the fuck the "anonymous" person was talking about. You must hav ebeen with your friend 'Anne'. The two of you have NO CLUE what good music is or what it could sound like! To all those who do read this, and where at the concert no that it was amazing, seeing that they had just played and insane show in Toronto the night before. And our good friend Anne from Portland must be jaded, cause that's what it sounds like. One last thing, 'Darker My Love' not only have they been HEAVLY influenced by the Warhols, but if you ever got the chance to see them when they first started, one might say that 'Darker My Love' STOLE the image and presence the Warhols brought to the crowd when they first started out.....I know, cause I've followed this band from the begining. SO if your gonna make a comment, know what the FUCK your talkin about!!!!
Mike / September 18, 2008 at 06:10 pm
The Dandy Warhols rules. Like it or not.
Jase / September 18, 2008 at 09:01 pm
First, before you claim that I have no idea about music, or background of it...think again. Been in and around the industry for over 17 years. I do know that bands can off nights, and they can't be a "cookie-cut out" of what you want in a concert. If your looking for that go see a big label, well rehearse hockey stadium show. You should know what you get, if you understand the band itself. It's to easy for someone to just "paint brush" a band cause they don't fall into what YOUR concert/show should be. I glad you felt that you could back up what you said, but you still hide under a name that means "nothing". I respect that you claim you know what your talking about, but like most who just spit out garbage, that's what it is garbage! Remember think before you speak, and don't run your lips to a person that you claim knows nothing. There are others out that DO KNOW what their talking about. Take the time and think before you react.
S. / September 20, 2008 at 08:54 am
wait a minute, did someone just attribute influence to the Dandy Warhols?
anne / September 22, 2008 at 07:24 pm
i guess cult following makes up for all the dandys lack.

jase, get some valium. it's a fucking band, not global warming.
sdfsdf / December 5, 2008 at 04:04 pm
you're all douches
MOEredjertuff / August 1, 2009 at 05:02 am
<a href=http://www.coloradocustomhobbies.com/>;Nj Car Insurance</a>
They usually know what kind of service is provided by the insurance company, after how much time they give the insurance amount to the consumer, how quickly they respond on smashed vehicle.
James / February 5, 2015 at 04:20 am
what is with you and your hosiery? You have the scisekt leggings/tights evverrr. I love the hippie vibes in this outfit. and the dandy warhols do in fact kick ass.
James / February 5, 2015 at 04:20 am