Saturday, September 21, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

Unsettlers @ Quai Des Brumes- Sat. March 7th

Posted by Olivier / March 8, 2009

unsettlers1.jpg
An impromptu trip to the underrated Quai des Brumes last night resulted in a night of music quite unlike anything I've seen in Montreal. Maybe it was the location in francophone centrale on St. Denis and Mount Royal, far from the judging eyes of cruel, sex-deprived hipsters, or maybe it was simply the indomitable energy of the 10 or so members of the Unsettlers, but the bar was bursting with unabashed exuberance. With their otherworldly music and dress, it felt, to quote a friend of mine, like being in a Tim Burton film.

unsettlerstwo1.jpgI am tempted to describe the Unsettlers as Gogol Bordello meets Leonard Cohen , though that wouldn't leave me anywhere to place their earnest lyrical rendition of Salt N' Peppa's Shoop laden overtop Balkan band rhythms. The band is based in Montreal and features the rarest of rarities: three members born and raised ici. One of them, bassist Ram Krishnan, runs the infamous Grumpy's Open Mic night, which has been a nexus of local talent for years.

In any case, the bona fide Montreal cred of the group was established by a drunk tourist from Boston at the show last night: "These guys are so Montreal!" he yelled as he spilt his pint. For maybe the only time that evening, everyone in the crowd agreed with him.

Photos from talented photographer and bar mate Daniel Cooper

lk / March 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm
ouch, what is with the hipster-bashing?! i though that midnight poutine was a blog that appreciated creativity and the arts, much of which is brought to you by these hipsters that you scorn.

also, i would say the area near st-denis and mont-royal, that you refer to as francophone central, is actually quite heavily anglophone in comparison to many other parts of montreal. montreal (and the plateau) does actually extend east of st-denis you know! i recommend bar la place à côté on papineau for a great small venue that's heavily francophone.
Schmitten / March 8, 2009 at 11:23 pm
Uh, sorry, but hipsters ARE extremely cliquey and judgy. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first one to applaud their tendency to create great art, but it doesn't mean that because some of them are talented, that their posses should grant themselves the right to be so snobbish.
I swear sometimes going to an indie show feels like being in middle school again. It's a shame really, but it appears to be a trend in some artistic movements.
All I'm saying (and what I think Olivier is getting at) is that it can be a relief to be able to attend shows without having to be surrounded by the hipster crowd.
Olivier / March 9, 2009 at 01:07 am
I will plead guilty to hipster-bashing, but the difference in atmosphere just jumps out at you when you're not at a show on St. Laurent. Each has it's charm, but you have to appreciate the relaxed and upbeat atmosphere at these St. Denis/francophone venues.

And I appreciate the tips on francophone bars east of St. Denis, but believe it or not I actually live east of St. Denis myself, and I still haven't found an area on the island that is as distinctly francophone-nightlife oriented as the blocks around St. Denis and Mount Royal, though I will admit that a large number of those patrons are French as opposed to Quebecois.
Dragonslayer / March 11, 2009 at 09:19 pm
Hippies get made fun of, punks and jocks too. I dont see why anyone should be so sensitive to mockery. We all take out turn on the stocks these days. The trouble is that "hipsters" whatever they really are, have become a big enough group to be recognized and therefore targeted. Remember when we used to make fun of goths or emo kids? Its all the same shit.
Djubrail / February 16, 2010 at 07:30 am
djubi test
Angel / February 4, 2015 at 02:09 pm
I am so excited to be going to Paris too! I will be lenviag in a few weeks, and it is part of my honeymoon. I am trying to plan what I want to see and do, and more importantly, what outfits to bring! Thanks for sharing this find! xoxo
auto insurance / April 4, 2015 at 02:07 pm
We will probably be unveiling it at NTEA, so until then we’ve been planning to refrain from releasing far too much data regarding it. Remember to visit us at NTEA or verify back again on our website or Facebook for additional data regarding this product soon after NTEA. We look forward to seeing you there!
golu dolls / February 2, 2019 at 06:15 am