Monday, September 16, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Music

Preview: Maisonneuve Magazine's Summer Issue Launch

Posted by Amelia / July 7, 2010

Youth in revolt: Maisonneuve's summer cover image portrays an angry hipster lashing out at the bad music of the world.

When I was younger, whenever my sister and I used to argue over which movie to watch or which CD to listen to, my father would always recite the same Latin phrase: "De gustibus non est disputandum." It means, basically, that a person's taste can't be disputed. It was his way of telling us to calm down: neither of us was ever going to convince the other one of why our preferred movie or music was better. We just had different taste.

And that's all well and good. But the cover story of Maisonneuve Magazine's summer issue flies in the face of my dad's old catchphrase. (Full disclosure: I'm an intern at Maisonneuve.) It's called "The Music We Hate," and it's the result of a rather daring proposition: Maisonneuve's editors asked seven top music critics to write essays about the bands they can't stand.

But the story's not an exercise in cruelty. According to the introduction, the point is to "take on indie darlings and contemporary untouchables, the acts protected by a firewall of peer pressure and period-sanctioned sentiments."

In keeping with the theme, the magazine is throwing a launch party that will feature three mainstays of the Montreal music scene - Pat Jordache, Charlotte Cornfield, and Carl Spidla - covering songs they're not too crazy about. No promises, but the names Justin Bieber and Cat Power have been mentioned as possible objects of snark.

The party's happening Thursday the 8th at Le Cagibi (5490 St. Laurent), at 9 p.m. If you're looking for something to do tomorrow night, you should really stop by. As senior editor Drew Nelles said, "Asking bands to cover songs they can't stand seemed like the perfect complement to the issue. The point isn't to be negative, but to reveal the arbitrariness of taste and to have a bit of fun."

Photo courtesy of Patrick J. Stefano.

shadowgun deadzone ouya / November 29, 2013 at 10:44 am
It'll also save a lot of cash and time for those on a restricted budget who want to successfully expand their companies.
The Alex Cross series began in 1992 with the publication of Along Came a Spider.

It is a platform used by hundreds of millions of people and this amazing potential can
be used for business as well.
Ayato / February 4, 2015 at 03:37 am
Aw, Richard, you sound lower than a snake's belly button! I'd bet a lot of it is due to horomne fluctuation. Even if it's in a positive direction, rapid hormonal swings upset the balance of whatever happens in our brains to impact our moods. I'm a chick who's done the pregnancy and post partum roller coaster four times, if you include miscarriages, and IMHO you really can't underestimate how neurotic the chemicals in your body can make you.It doesn't actively change anything, but I always took some comfort in the notion that there was a REASON. It wasn't my fault, I wasn't crazy. And just knowing that put me back in the driver's seat. I still felt flat and blue but I gave myself permission to feel that way and constant reminders that it did not excuse my bad behavior when I sniped at someone who didn't deserve it. As far as the assmunch who dropped the ball in 2000, I'm mad at him, too and I never even met the guy. I heard a similar story last week from a gal who had already survived cancer- TWICE- and her regular physician blew her off when she complained of headaches and balance issues. She knew something was wrong and got an MRI on her own. Turned out to be her third round of cancer, this time in the form of three brain tumors. She would have died if she listened to her doc instead of her body. It is utterly infuriating, especially in a patient with a history that should put them at the front of the line for being taken seriously when they report new or recurring symptoms.I'm thinking happy thoughts towards you and next month's MRI!XOXOLaurel
kanchipuramsarees / January 22, 2019 at 11:12 pm