Wednesday, November 25, 2015Partly Cloudy -7°C

An interview with Krief

Posted by Gabby / November 22, 2012

20121122_krief.jpgKnown for most of his career as guitarist of the beloved local band The Dears, Patrick Krief has also been keeping busy with side projects, as himself and as Black Diamond Bay. Hundred Thousand Pieces, his latest solo album, came out last spring. Midnight Poutine caught up with him to have a look into the creative process of the man behind the reputation.

How and when was this album born?
I am always in the process of writing music, and at the time I started recording this album, I had already amassed 50+ songs. But as soon as "Lost in Japan" was written, I knew I had a clear path for this album, and so I started writing.

What is your favourite song on the album and why?
Very hard for me to pick a favourite... "Hundred Thousand Pieces", "Lost in Japan" and "Forever Goodnight" stand out. But, I think I love them all in different ways, as though they were my children. It's kind of hard to ask me to choose which I love most!

How did the creative process change for you when you started writing and performing as Krief?
It doesn't really change, it just has less steps. It goes directly from my mind to a recording. There's no "jamming" or working the songs with other musicians. I appreciate both methods in different ways.

How is the process different from when you're creating with The Dears?
Up until Degeneration Street, I didn't write songs for the Dears, I only wrote for Krief, Black Diamond Bay and other projects. That album was the first in which I wrote songs with Murray. The process is different in that, the songs take a turn, because there's another writer involved. And typically I stay away from lyrics with the dears, with the a few exceptions.

You did everything on this album - drums, piano, vocals, guitar and more. Do you see the physical process of making an album differently now?
That approach was a big challenge... As rewarding as it was challenging. And there haven't been any "hmm I wish I had done that differently" moments... So I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing. I may continue to make records that way... I don't know yet.  But there is something to be said in a self-indulgent way, for following through on your vision, down to every last detail.

What is it like to launch a solo project with a reputation like yours under the belt?
It helps, but not nearly as much as people would imagine it to!  But those who know and respect my history are often eager to discover what I am doing.

You're going to play on November 27 at the Lion d'Or, what can the audience expect?
A BIG band! Strings, back up singers, etc.. It'll be lots of fun. And in a beautiful room equipped with a great PA.

How do you see and conceive your live shows now?
It's all about an intention. The details matter, but it's more about a feeling and making sure the band is exuding that. Making that show their therapy, that one hour on stage is to forget, and clean up our mental garbage. And I definitely have the right band for that!

What's coming up for you in the near future, are you planning on spending more time focusing on your solo project?
Yes. My solo efforts are taking the forefront for a while. The Dears are slowly starting to discuss our next record. But, this solo thing will be keeping me busy for a while I hope! And I am also starting to write. Not sure when I will record, but the process has begun! I have some international touring and releases of Hundred Thousand Pieces starting with March 5 in the USA. And I will just ride it out and see what happens, in hopes for the best!

Theme question: Best poutine in Montreal?
Pierette Patate! I LOVE poutine... It used to be Frite Dorée on St. Laurent, but they're gone now :(((

Patrick Krief will be playing at the Lion d'Or on November 27 with Coco Meliès.
Lion d'Or, 1676 Rue Ontario Est

Many thanks to Jane Murray for setting up the interview!

Juan / January 16, 2013 at 08:11 pm
I really enjoy reading your site. There is only one problem. I cannot find your rss feed button.
Does Respark The Romance Really Work / May 30, 2014 at 11:52 pm
I am passing out Fifteen bitcoins for the fortunate bastard of a blog post manager with the chosen prize code.

The final results is to be out in 4-weeks time. Your own prize code is:
Nashville SEO / July 13, 2014 at 12:35 am
Hello to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this blog;
this webpage consists of remarkable and genuinely excellent stuff designed for readers.
where can i buy forskolin 20 / August 6, 2014 at 03:00 am
Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this website regularly,
this web site is really pleasant and the people are
genuinely sharing fastidious thoughts.
Http://Premiumgarciniacambogiaslim.Org/ / September 24, 2014 at 09:43 pm
Thank you for the god writeup. It iin fact was a amusement account it.
Loook advanced to more aded agreeable from you!
By the way, how can we communicate?
?????? ??? ????? ???? / November 3, 2014 at 10:51 am
Bramah manufactures locks for domestic and
commercial use. Here are several things you are able to do to prevent these types of situations:
. Are you looking for an effective way to protect your family
and your home.
Dwain / November 15, 2014 at 09:55 pm
Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this blg before
but after browsing through some of the arrticles I realized it's new to me.
Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I discovered it and I'll be book-marking it and cchecking
bac regularly!
wrap up screen / November 17, 2014 at 07:49 am
An interesting discussion is worth comment. There's no doubt that that you need to publish more about this topic, it might
not be a taboo subject but generally folks don't discuss these subjects.
To the next! Cheers!!
Ellie / December 27, 2014 at 03:40 am
In today's world, these deep-seated desires manifest
themselves in various ways. In India, every relationship to which a person is born or acquires has a unique name.
Some approaches to make your girlfriend come to
feel cherished is to give her material presents, spend high quality time with her,
give her bodily touch affectionately or to just just say "I adore you".
wheeleez / January 6, 2015 at 07:52 pm
It will not wheeleez however keep them attached. They may resist at first, wooo!

Those are the most reliable brace, and a bunch of other folks
are ill, don't floor the gas or you'll just dig yourself in further.
Would you like to do when everyone comes? Oh that was the top the legs attach to the beach, more often and
b to travel with a grin on his face. / March 16, 2015 at 01:41 am
Advertising a business on the World-Wide Web cann
open up unexpected opportunities for sales all over the
world. Strengthen your relationship with your loved one by choosing from our wide selection of Wholesale Embroidery Blanks for living
needs and thee home. Working from home is a great option for those who own their own business.
Oral Candidiasis In Babies / April 15, 2015 at 04:05 am
Obviously, however, the world of domain name purchasing and selling is
quite active and there is quite plenty of cash to be made.
This helps focus your mental energy while at the same time
relaxing the rest of your body. These sores are normally distressing to touch and
can be bothersome when eating.
DC SEO / June 12, 2015 at 05:39 am
As a business owner, this presents a couple of
options. The lack of fresh content will lead to
loss of popularity and reader interest. Some business owners are squeamish when it comes to working with a local search engine
optimization (SEO) company.
madden mobile hack real or fake / November 4, 2015 at 12:07 am
My face did start to color a little from embarrassment. WPA is much
stronger and still very strong overall. I failed to reason much
in any respect, oor think I needed to.