Wednesday, September 18, 2019Light Snow -5°C
News

Morning Brew: July 1st, 2008

Posted by Gabby / July 1, 2008

mb070108.jpgPhoto: "Unnamed", by Midnight Poutine Flickr pooler ncbeets.

Your morning news roundup for Tuesday, July 1st 2008:

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it's true. Today is Canada Day, and our dear country turns 141. Surprisingly enough, the festivities aren't all that great in Montreal... there aren't even fireworks! Although if you think about it, the fireworks will be happening as people move their furniture along the city and get into trouble, because today is also Moving Day!

In other moving news, we might not be talking about a crisis anymore, but this year, 65 families asked the city of Montreal for help finding a new place. An emergency help line for families in distress will remain active until July 11th.

Extreme sports anyone? A parachutist is in a critical state at the Hotel-Dieu after he hit electrical lines earlier today in Lévis. Ouch.

A man was attacked with a machete after a fight broke out in a Ville-Émard apartment late last night. He isn't in a critical state, and the 45-year old suspect was apprehended by police.

For the modest sum of $40, Montrealers can now enjoy a direct round-trip flight to Plattsburgh, NY. There would be two departures a day from downtown Montreal, although the article doesn't specify where in downtown Montreal.

Herge / July 1, 2008 at 08:23 pm
Curieux, votre blog n'a rien mentionné pour le fête nationale des québécois... Un peu de sérieux svp et montrezx vos couleurs... Moi je ne reviens plus sur votre site.
kim / July 1, 2008 at 09:16 pm
Ummm, Herge?

I quote,"Bonne Saint-Jean Baptiste, poutineurs et poutineuses ! En l'honneur de la fête du Québec, voici les nouvelles fraîches du jour... en français !"
Rachel / July 2, 2008 at 05:33 pm
Zing!
Herge / July 2, 2008 at 09:02 pm
Kim, pleassseee! And re-Zing!!! You know very well what I mean. Your site is complaining that there is not enough festivities you la fête de la confédération!!!! BTW, it is the Fête nationale des québecois et non la St-Jean-Baptiste. But I guess you know it very well and refuse to say it. Or you ignore the Québec culture. I know now your true colors...
Gabby / July 2, 2008 at 09:09 pm
Herge, my comment didn't mean there weren't enough festivities, I just happen to love me some fireworks for special occasions.

And June 24th is either the Fête Nationale du Québec, or the Saint-Jean, or the Saint-Jean-Baptiste, the latter two names used for historical reasons. Check out the <a href="http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/FÃ;ƒÂªte_nationale_du_Québec" target="_blank">Wiki page</a>.
Gabby / July 2, 2008 at 09:10 pm

Herge / July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm
Gabby, es-tu capable de réécrire tout ça en francais pour les autochtones? You should see the laws of Québec instead if wiki. It is la fête nationale des québécois et dans wiki ce n'est pas la fête du Canada mais la fête de la Confédération. J'imagine que tu es un citizen of the world Gabby and that you do not care about the arboriginal of Montréal. Get out and speak to the native Gaby. These are nice people!
Gabby / July 3, 2008 at 09:47 am
Herge, you don't know a thing about me, so please don't assume that I use specific names for certain holidays because I don't care about the aboriginal. Je suis francophone alors oui, je pourrais réécrire mes nouvelles en français. Je ne le fais pas mais c'est un choix personnel.

If you want your news in french, I suggest you read Cyberpresse.ca or the news on Radio-Canada. This isn't the one and only news outlet, and there are plenty others that decide to post their news only in French, but that doesn't mean they discriminate, either.
golu dolls / February 13, 2019 at 02:10 am