Saturday, December 14, 2019Light Snow -5°C
Restaurants

Buns Hamburger House

Posted by Lucy Lent / April 3, 2009

Buns Hamburger HouseFinding a good reliable burger joint can be as difficult as finding your match made in heaven. I think I'm still looking for the best around, but so far Buns on the corner of St Marc and St Catherine West is tiding me over.

The former used bookstore, turned late night burger joint, Buns Hamburger House has only four things on the menu: burgers, double burgers, fried potatoes, and soda. What else does a person need?

I've been to Buns a few times before in the warmer months, so I figured I'd stop in during the colder months. With only one person working the charcoal grill, and about four tables to sit at, you're going to have a slight wait for that burger, but in my opinion, it's worth it.

20090312-bunsout.jpgBuns boasts the usual hamburger toppings of pickles, mustard, lettuce, etc. however the cheese is FREE! And this isn't any old standard fake orange cheese with plastic around it; this is hand-sliced mozzarella cheese. Now, for someone very picky about her cheese, this place passes the test, a rare find for me in a fast food joint.

Along with the title "Buns" come the hamburger bun unique only to Buns. A little thicker than most, more crusty and even borderline stale, the buns are sliced in front of you and offer the perfect surrounding to the heavily seasoned charcoal grilled burger. None of those flimsy buns, or whole-wheat buns, just a white bun made for Buns designed by Buns.
20090312-buns.jpg

While this time I passed on the fried potatoes, I have tried them in the past, and I think they could use a little perfecting. Sometimes the potatoes are burnt, sometimes they aren't cooked enough, but with a little hot sauce anything goes. Our burgers were served perfectly cooked (unfortunately one can't get a rare or medium burger in a joint like this), and our toppings expertly placed, something important for the perfect burger.
20090312-bunsin.jpg

Upon further research I found that Buns was opened by a few young guys looking to make a place with cheap, affordable, quality fast food. A place where anyone could come by after class, after the bar, or after a long days work and get a meal for under 10 bucks. Prices are $4.00 for one burger, $6.00 for a double burger $2.00 for the fried potatoes and drinks at $1.00. In my opinion, these guys have the right idea and the skills to pull it off.

Buns is taking the enterprise further as well, with a new location on St. Laurent, perfect for a beer induced munchies after the bar or club. It takes a delicious burger to be able to sustain a place with only four things on the menu. It also helps that Buns plays classic 80's music, and the burger flippers make you feel right at home. Buns might not be another m:brgr, but it sure could have been the inspiration behind it.

Buns is located at
1855 Ste. Catherine O.
AND now open at
3673 Saint-Laurent.

Sarah / April 3, 2009 at 07:37 pm
I've heard great things about the one on St-Laurent. Apparently the fries are excellent.
They have the right idea indeed! Simple, quality and affordable is even an even more killer trio than the musketeers if you ask me.
mooodi / April 3, 2009 at 11:09 pm
What are their hours?
Lee / April 4, 2009 at 11:10 am
You DO NOT need the double burger. Trust me. It is quite difficult to physically get your jaw around. Just get the single!

Good stuff though, nothing too complicated.
S. / April 4, 2009 at 05:59 pm
i have been meaning to check this place out. i used to love the bookstore that it replaced, but i suppose all grief is ultimately vanity...or something.

the concept is fabulous.
F.A. / April 6, 2009 at 06:41 pm
My favorite Burgers in Montreal! I've been to the new one on St.Laurent...Awesome! This place is packed after clubs.
Laura Roberts / April 10, 2009 at 10:33 am
I'm loving this concept of cheap meat, and especially the free cheese! Why anyone would want a hamburger (as opposed to a cheeseburger, i.e. the only acceptable burger) is beyond me. Unless you're lactose intolerant, in which case I say don't let that lactose give you any shit!!
Tim / April 14, 2009 at 12:18 am
Do you know of any good places that serve organic burgers?
Lucy Lent replying to a comment from Tim / April 14, 2009 at 09:18 am
I am not sure of any smaller joints like Buns but I know that M:Brgr offers an organic burger with their four options: AAA burger (regular burger), organic burger, kobe beef burger, and veggie burger! I have had the organic burger at m:brgr, not much different from the AAA one perhaps the meat is slightly juicier, if anyone knows of any places please let me know!
Greg / April 21, 2009 at 01:40 am
Gotta say, I wasn't so impressed with this place. My bun was kinda stiff and stale tasting, some of my fries were too burnt to eat. Came out to $6 w/o a drink, threw in a $1 tip. Can definitely find a much better burger for $7, if slightly more. The Maine comes to mind for the lower St. Laurent area. Still a great idea. Maybe they can work out the kinks.
MDN / October 26, 2009 at 05:56 pm
I Love Buns.
Mariana / November 12, 2009 at 12:39 am
Buns is like the best place to hang out & eat. They just need to add some beer to the menu but the rest is just a-ma-zing! One of the things I love the most is that music varies depending on who's working that day, I actually think good taste in music is a requirement for the employees... seriously. I go often and I've never been annoyed by the music. They have pretty much all the good genres.

It's cheap, it's yummie, it's fun, it's friendly and close to school.

Levi B / December 6, 2009 at 09:25 pm
MMMMM buns im going there right now! LOve The Tunes! Love the burgers! Disagree with the double being too big, i'm a small guy and the single barely fills me up!
tee / August 29, 2010 at 04:17 pm
and the boys working the grill are always oh-so-beautiful!
Alice / August 29, 2010 at 07:42 pm
It would be nice if they had some kind of vegetarian option. Economically speaking, it doesn't make much sense for them to be selling burgers for so cheap. I guess us veggies will have to stick to falafel places and Patati Patata until places like these offer something for us. I'm also not very impressed with their potatoes... they are burnt. If you don't like the taste of smoke these potatoes are not for you.

I mean, at Patati you can get a tofu burger (topped with hummus + cheese) with a small poutine and a delicious salad for 8$ or so I can't see Buns getting my service.
12 volt tv / August 30, 2014 at 05:00 pm
So, once you have. There is a total marine electronics you can be a fun boat for the damage," said Martin Miller. When this energy is bounced back 12 volt television it is often found lacking with online transactions. What if- hypothetically speaking- we discovered an exact replica of the flight, including our theological, our societies - 12 volt television unprecedented levels of personality. Sponsored by Cruising World 12 volt television and Yachting. This one, in a position request by specific entries to their requirement and need, and it is unsustainable.
golu dolls / February 1, 2019 at 10:46 pm